Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hardest World?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
This is mainly question for those who have completed their run through the story line on at least one wizard.

What world do you think is the hardest? (Current Configuration, not anything like Mirage was a beast when it first came out but it's been nerfed now).

The reason why I am playing through on what essentially is my first run (Life Wizard, started in '09, got to Marleybone. Took a break and started from scratch.) Marleybone was much simpler this run time and I only needed help on the final boss battles. I handled Mooshu just fine again only needing help with the Jade Oni.

Dragonspyre was a little tougher but I managed and made it through until Malistaire. That was the first time I clicked on the team up button instead waiting for help from my kids.

Celestia I started requesting help on some of the minor Boss Battles and never even considered attempting to solo the final.

Zafaria was easier than I expected. I handled most of Zafaria solo with the exception of Belloq and the final Boss Battle

Avalon pretty much unfurled the same as Celestia, requested team ups on a few minor bosses and knew I'd need help on the final.

I'm nearing the end of Azteka. Every time I turn around another 18,000 - 20,000+ Boss. Yuck. Mob Battles that hit you for half your health on the first round...

I don't always have 30-45 minutes to battle these Bosses on my own (doable but not fun). It's even less fun sitting and waiting for a team-up. If this is the way the rest of the worlds unfold, not my cup of tea.

So what do you think of the difficulty to come? Better? Worse? What's the hardest world on the spiral today?

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
I'm also nearing completing Azteca. I've been playing on my Death on and off for a few years now, I believe I made him around 2015 or 2016, though by the end of this summer I'm planning to finally max him out.

I remember having quite a lot of trouble with Dragonspyre's bosses and dungeons. I needed to team up for nearly every single instance, so it took me a while to get through it. Celestia was pretty difficult in the beginning, though after getting Waterworks gear it became much easier. Zafaria was pretty easy (I hear it was super difficult before they nerfed it), Avalon was a bit more difficult, needed team ups from time to time.

I've been handling Azteca fairly well, though it's definitely one of the most boring worlds for me. It's extremely long, and it has boss fight after boss fight after boss fight, all taking 20-30 minutes for me, and it's really getting on my nerves at this point. I often waited to find people to quest with not because it was too hard, but because I really just wanted to speed it up.

I would probably consider Azteca the hardest world so far for me though. The bosses have a lot of health, as well as the street mobs, and if you're not careful, you can get destroyed really quickly. I try my best to have decent enough gear, so I imagine it must be a nightmare to get through without proper equipment.

Thomas Wildstaff, 90

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I would say you're at the roughest part right now.

Your complaints about Azteca were the exact same ones I had - especially the long and tedious boss battles that dragged out to half an hour each. and. every. time. And all the back-and-forth across different areas so that we are denied any real sense of progress.

I'm questing a Life, a Death and an Ice through early Azteca right now (about finished with Saltmeadow/varying stages of moving on to Zultun) and yeah, I'm reminded of how much this world drags on. Lovely but such a grind.

Then there's Khrysalis. It's even LONGER, and the bosses have EVEN MORE HEALTH. However! The saving grace is a change in game mechanics that kicks in around the 15th quest. You'll get a helper and he makes a huge difference, at least for the first half of the world.

Also, getting Darkmoor or at least Khyrsalis crafted gear will boost your damage and defenses and, again, you'll see a huge reduction of the "grinding" feeling as you quest with the new gear.

Polaris is where things totally change. The world itself is only 1/3 the length of Khrysalis, and its battles run on high speed, with intense bursts of violence. It's brutal, blinding and quick. Mirage and Empyrea are similar in terms of pacing and intensity.

You will need help with select bosses, but getting through these worlds as a whole is much less of a grind.

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
As someone who played through the world myself and has a brother that beat the world once and is halfway through the same world on his other wizard, we both agree that Azteca is probably the hardest world.

Khrysalis Part 1 can also be a little crazy but it really just depends on when you go to Darkmoor. Since you're life, you probably won't have too much trouble finding a group.

After getting Darkmoor gear and your shadow pip spell, everything will be a breeze.

Amber Dreamflower 125

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
I've heard that people typically have trouble with either Wintertusk or Celestia (whichever they do first) due to enemies suddenly starting with more than one pip. It's been a long time since I've gotten a wizard through there though, so I don't really remember it that well, but I do somewhat remember being really grateful that Myth suddenly boosted on Ice.

Speaking of which, Mirage might still sorta-kinda qualify because of how the enemies all of a sudden have inbuilt Damage. It's not as much as it was pre-nerf, but some moves can really rip through your health. Plus, their tendency to use lower-pip spells means that you can't just prop a shield up in front of an 8-10 pip spell at the start of combat and be fine for the rest of the duel.

Defender
Aug 01, 2014
The order (in my opinion)
1. Khrysalis: The world is very boring in part one, and all the bosses are very powerful. Especially the warlords of Morganthe. Pretty long too.
2. Azteca: The world is not only hard, but it keeps going on and on.
3. Dragonspyre: Difficult enemies with weakness and shield spam. What's not to hate?
4. Avalon: The dragons that cheat. Also a bit long.
5. Krokotopia: UUUGGGHHH I just hated this world

Survivor
Aug 08, 2012
I'll explain why:

Top 3 Hardest Worlds in W101

1) Azteca/Mirage
2) - Avalon
3) - Khrysalis

Azteca - The bosses here have stupid health and it is hard to solo, as you don't get your spell until level 88.
Mirage - Short world, but incredibly hard to solo, especially for people like ice, life, balance, etc. The bosses hit real hard and even though they don't have much health, there is a crazy amount of cheaters
Avalon - It's like your under leveled for this world. Easy with a quest partner though.
Khrysalis - Long world, lots of health, easier to solo than others though

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I thought Mirage was deceptively difficult. The monsters have low health but a lot of strategy or resist or something.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
So basically, Azteca is like New York. If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere, it's up to me New York, New Yor... er Az te eh ca.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Steven Ghoststalker

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Difficulty can be linked to the school your wizard is: I had no problems with my Death wiz in Dragonspyre until I hit the Dean's Dungeon ( had to use team-up for that ). I remember sailing through Celestia. ( Zafaria and Avalon were both easier for me ( except for Belloq & Jaberwock ) Azteca was the worst experience I had, until I got to the first part of Khrysalis. Second part was easier as I had gained more powerful spells.
Mirage had both good and horrible moments, it's fairly good for a solo player ( except for some bosses. )
But now my Myth is in Celestia and things aren't going so well for her - I'm taking a break until I can gain better gear.
Anyway what I'm trying to say is your school can be a reason that you have a hard time or easier time in certain worlds.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
SparkleTude on Apr 3, 2018 wrote:
I thought Mirage was deceptively difficult. The monsters have low health but a lot of strategy or resist or something.
Most mobs in Mirage now have a default pierce stat that as you know, pierces through your resists.

This especially gets even more concerning combined with spells such as Infallible.

When the world was firstly introduced, this caught quite a few of us off guard immediately sending us to the commons area.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Similarly to Freshta (cute name by the way lol), I've three younglings (a , and a ) questing in Azteca currently, all about to begin the Floating Mountains after single handily conquering 'The Pyramid of Mother Moon.'

I must say though, luck plays a huge factor within questing of the worlds, whether it comes on to blocking critical hits from mobs, to mobs even dropping items in defeat and collect (D&C) Quests.

While most of us can agree with Azteca being difficult, it actually helps and trains us for the more difficult challenges ahead. It's for that reason why I like it here.

I'll encourage you to invest heavily in gear though, the fact that I critical often on all my wizards can cut a 30 minute battle into only about 10-14 minutes. Critical + Damage helps!