Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Looking for some Advice/Tips!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Hey my fellow Wizards!

It's been a while since I played the game, I've taken quite a few breaks, but I am getting back into it. I was wondering if maybe any of you could offer me a bit help, I sure would appreciate it! It sure seems like a lot has changed since I last played.

My main Wizards are a 52 Storm (Which I really haven't worked on lately, since it seems kinda difficult to solo with, I can't seem to find a group or other people to quest with). The other is a level 81 Ice. Which is a bit easier, though I feel like I'm not the best at it.

So a couple questions..!

- Is there some sort of way you guys, personally do to find people to quest and level up with? I seem to have the hardest time finding anybody to do that level grind with (I really want to try and get my Storm a higher level)! I feel like it would make the experience a whole lot more enjoyable too, being able to make a friend and quest with!

- I have absolutely no clue how to set my deck up for either of my Wizards. I usually just toss in my cards and fill the deck with my higher level spells/buffs. Though I feel like that isn't the best to do? I was wondering if someone could help me here as well with maybe a good deck setup?
My Ice wizard is trained up to life in Satyr, Death to Feint, Balance Blades/Traps, Sun to Colossal and Star to Amplify.

- Are there any other tips you could give for either Ice or Storm? I feel like I am not at full potential when Questing.

I've tried doing some research on my own, but I feel like a lot of the stuff is out-of-date for the things I found and was hoping I could get some updated info!

Again, if you read this thank you for taking the time! I would truly appreciate any help or advice!
Thanks!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome Back!

Now, the easiest way to find fellow quest mates is by questing in Crowded Realms. Often times you may find one or two people questing in the same area, some could be on a similar quest as yours.

As it relates to tips, each school is different (even though nowadays they posses several similarities) and as such, they will require different applications at some point. But generally, you may want to bear these ideas in mind:

Deck - I recommend having two decks (One for basic mob fights) and one for Boss battles. The smaller one should only contain a few blades, couple feints and AoE'S (Tempest, Stormlord, Frost Giant, Blizzard) as well as enchants. You could toss in a pixie if necessary.

Gear - Very important. For your storm, consider running Mount Olympus dungeon in Cyclops Lane (speak to Cyrus to get started). The gear there will be greatly beneficial for your storm.
Now, your ice; have you done the Waterworks Dungeon? Consider doing so. Also, how's your crafting level? They're crafters in Avalon that sells very good Ice Hat and Robe Recipes that may be very beneficial to your Ice Wiz!
If you've crowns, consider tossing a few at packs like the Road Warrior's Pack, or the Immortal. The wands there are very good.

Treasures - More guided to your storm, if fizzling is a problem, consider using treasure enchants such as accurate, sniper etc. available from bazaar to enchant your cards before hitting.

Training Points - How did you spend your training points?
On your , I recommend learning to Tower Shield and to Feint.
to Satyr is optional as storm gets their own version of a spell.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Now for Ice:

You seemed to have invested very wisely in training points (Good Job!)

But:

- Beserk, Fortify, Amplify. Ignore al the others.

Pets - It seems that our pets are our own personal henchmen. They are a fundamental part of our crew.
A solid pet usually have talents ranging from general resists, to damage or even heals.
If you have not yet been able to capture one, the Hatchmaking Kiosk that will soon be introduced to the Live Realm will greatly assist with your needs.

Garden - Gardening helps to stream some amount of gold, treasures and reagents to your bag pack. This will of course make a lot of other activities in Wiz easier such as crafting and pet training/hatching.
Consider doing this on both your wizards.

Wintertusk - Have you done Wintertusk already? The additional world to Grizzleheim? If not, consider doing so as the area has tons of experience, gear and gold to offer! There's also a few spells and school pets only obtainable by doing the side world.

Side Quests - Since it's not as easy to find fellow partners to assist in questing, you may want to stay on top of things by doing side quests to gain your levels up.

Post if you've anymore queries.

Good Luck!

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Star Edward on Mar 31, 2018 wrote:
Now for Ice:

You seemed to have invested very wisely in training points (Good Job!)

But:

- Beserk, Fortify, Amplify. Ignore al the others.

Pets - It seems that our pets are our own personal henchmen. They are a fundamental part of our crew.
A solid pet usually have talents ranging from general resists, to damage or even heals.
If you have not yet been able to capture one, the Hatchmaking Kiosk that will soon be introduced to the Live Realm will greatly assist with your needs.

Garden - Gardening helps to stream some amount of gold, treasures and reagents to your bag pack. This will of course make a lot of other activities in Wiz easier such as crafting and pet training/hatching.
Consider doing this on both your wizards.

Wintertusk - Have you done Wintertusk already? The additional world to Grizzleheim? If not, consider doing so as the area has tons of experience, gear and gold to offer! There's also a few spells and school pets only obtainable by doing the side world.

Side Quests - Since it's not as easy to find fellow partners to assist in questing, you may want to stay on top of things by doing side quests to gain your levels up.

Post if you've anymore queries.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the reply, Star Edward!

Currently my Ice Wizard does have all WaterWork Gear and I am questing in Avalon as well. Not sure how far I am into it though.

I've currently been working on my Ice Wizard only, just because I have had a hard time finding others to quest with and I feel my Ice is a bit easier in that regards, plus I do have a friend I am actually leveling with on my Ice.

Deck - My Crafting level is currently at Adept. I'll try and mess around a bit with a deck setup for Mobs and Boss Battle. I just always felt like I should be filling the deck completely, so hopefully I can shrink down that size and figure out what to use exactly!

Gear - Like I mentioned above, I actually do have Waterwork Gear for my Ice. If I was looking at the right vendor/place for the craft-able gear, I felt like my WW Gear was still better. I'll have to take another look though.

I'll also look into the packs you recommended!

- Where exactly do I get Beserk? I noticed I don't have it in my deck and don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Pet - I haven't had much luck with pets and am a bit confused with them and their stats. All I know is nobody ever wants to hatch or help me find a good pet exactly haha. The current pet I'm using, which I feel like is the best I have is an Adult Enchanted Armament, which has a sharpened blade spell, a chance to cast Blade and Shield and +4% defense. I have a few other pets, but this is probably the most beneficial.

Garden - I remember doing this a while back, so I'll give this a shot again!

Wintertusk - Thanks for the recommendation, I actually have done this on my Ice Wiz!

Thank you again for your reply, I truly appreciate it! It's been of great help!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Crafting - Speak to Lewelyn in Dun Dora for Hat and Robe Recipes. You'll have to be at least a Transcendent Crafter though so be sure to spend some time crafting. If you need tips, I can also provide them here (another bonus of gardening is the reagents it can provide which may prove useful).

Berserk - is found from the school trainer in Zamunda, Zafaria. The quest Stars and Stripes will have to be completed though. It's given by in Mandisa Autumnrain Zamunda, Zafaria, behind the once closed doors.

Pet - Usually, creating an ideal pet is very difficult. It takes an enormous amount of resources (some of which can be sourced from gardening; gold and pet snacks). I'll leave a couple links below you can explore to get a proper introduction to pet hatching. Your enchanted pet seems to have learned spell proof. You can invest in it's Power, Strength and Agility Stat to increase this "4" number to a possibly "9."
As I said too, the Hatchmaking Koisk that is on it's way to live realm will make hatching much easier for you as you will not need another partner to participate wit pet hatching. You'll also have a large array of choices to choose from at your will.

Deck - Yes, very important to use two decks. Filling out every slot is never really the true intention of decks. You want to be drawing useful cards that you can use every turn and not just a hand filled with greyed out cards.
Use the breakdown I provided for the smaller deck.
The larger deck should be altered a little for every boss battle.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
Just wanted to add:

In your return, you may have noticed the new feature of "Team Up" being added to most boss and dungeon instances. The feature allows you to team up with any waiting wiz around the spiral at that particular instance. The wait can at times be lengthily however, but it's nevertheless an option, especially for the more difficult bosses.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Taylor SwiftStalke... on Apr 3, 2018 wrote:
Just wanted to add:

In your return, you may have noticed the new feature of "Team Up" being added to most boss and dungeon instances. The feature allows you to team up with any waiting wiz around the spiral at that particular instance. The wait can at times be lengthily however, but it's nevertheless an option, especially for the more difficult bosses.

Amen

Team Up has saved my Wizard more than once.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Star Edward on Apr 2, 2018 wrote:
Crafting - Speak to Lewelyn in Dun Dora for Hat and Robe Recipes. You'll have to be at least a Transcendent Crafter though so be sure to spend some time crafting. If you need tips, I can also provide them here (another bonus of gardening is the reagents it can provide which may prove useful).

Berserk - is found from the school trainer in Zamunda, Zafaria. The quest Stars and Stripes will have to be completed though. It's given by in Mandisa Autumnrain Zamunda, Zafaria, behind the once closed doors.

Pet - Usually, creating an ideal pet is very difficult. It takes an enormous amount of resources (some of which can be sourced from gardening; gold and pet snacks). I'll leave a couple links below you can explore to get a proper introduction to pet hatching. Your enchanted pet seems to have learned spell proof. You can invest in it's Power, Strength and Agility Stat to increase this "4" number to a possibly "9."
As I said too, the Hatchmaking Koisk that is on it's way to live realm will make hatching much easier for you as you will not need another partner to participate wit pet hatching. You'll also have a large array of choices to choose from at your will.

Deck - Yes, very important to use two decks. Filling out every slot is never really the true intention of decks. You want to be drawing useful cards that you can use every turn and not just a hand filled with greyed out cards.

Thanks again for the helpful tips!

If you could, I would appreciate some tips on how to get my crafting up!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Osto Gamer on Apr 3, 2018 wrote:
Thanks again for the helpful tips!

If you could, I would appreciate some tips on how to get my crafting up!
Definitely!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Star Edward on Apr 2, 2018 wrote:

Correcting this post:

You'll have to be at least a Transcendent Crafter though so be sure to spend some time crafting

For his recipes, you've to be at least a Legendary Crafter, not Transcendent as I originally said, but nevertheless, you should still do all crafting quests which I will highlight below.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
So, you've already mentioned that you're at least an Adept Crafter, meaning, your next challenge is crafting quest offered by Dragonspyre's crafter Balthazar Dragonthorn, his quests are a little difficult and will require you to craft a total of six items.

He'll give you them in sequence, so don't craft all of them at once. The items in order in which he will assign the task are:

You will also need different variations of crafting stations. Find these at Bazaar or from the furniture shop close by in Dragonspyre. Purchase them all if you've not already.

The rings are the hardest to craft since they're demanding a large portion of rare reagents.
One ring needs:
  • 9 Ghost Fire
  • 15 Diamonds
  • 20 Black Lotus.

Ghost fire can be bought from the close by Reagent Vendor, you'll have to source the others on your own.

Diamonds can be found by:
  • Stalking Bazaar until a few show up in the Reagent Pool
  • Harvesting Ore (try looking beside the furniture shop in Dragonspyre and in Vestrilund)
  • Using the Transmute Diamond recipe. It allows you to turn 15 Ore Pieces into 1 Diamond.
  • Deadly Helephant Plants and Frozen Fly Traps also drop the reagent upon harvesting. Fickle Pickle and Burning Snap Dragon as well.

See why Gardening is so important?

Black Lotus can b found by:

• Again, stalking Bazaar until some pop up.
  • Harvesting the reagent in various places (Mooshu [Tree of Life, Cave of Solitude, Ancient Burial Grounds etc.], Vestrilund)
  • Using the Transmute Black Lotus recipe. It does require 10 Cat tails and 10 Ore.
  • Gardening Evil Magma Peas and Burning Snap Dragons.

Now, if you've crowns, you can save yourself the torture of having to find the reagents and purchase the very useful '100 Ore Bundle' or the '100 Black Lotus Bundle' available at the Reagent Bundle Tab. It makes life as you know it a whole lot easier!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Begin building or continuing on your garden from now on all your wizards.

Plants such as:

• Couch Potatoes
  • Sword Ferns
  • Deadly Helephant Ears
  • Evil Magma Peas
  • Fickle Pickle

Are all great options to start and truly continue with!

Having Energy Gear also helps too!

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Star Edward on Apr 4, 2018 wrote:
So, you've already mentioned that you're at least an Adept Crafter, meaning, your next challenge is crafting quest offered by Dragonspyre's crafter Balthazar Dragonthorn, his quests are a little difficult and will require you to craft a total of six items.

He'll give you them in sequence, so don't craft all of them at once. The items in order in which he will assign the task are:

You will also need different variations of crafting stations. Find these at Bazaar or from the furniture shop close by in Dragonspyre. Purchase them all if you've not already.

The rings are the hardest to craft since they're demanding a large portion of rare reagents.
One ring needs:
  • 9 Ghost Fire
  • 15 Diamonds
  • 20 Black Lotus.

Ghost fire can be bought from the close by Reagent Vendor, you'll have to source the others on your own.

Diamonds can be found by:
  • Stalking Bazaar until a few show up in the Reagent Pool
  • Harvesting Ore (try looking beside the furniture shop in Dragonspyre and in Vestrilund)
  • Using the Transmute Diamond recipe. It allows you to turn 15 Ore Pieces into 1 Diamond.
  • Deadly Helephant Plants and Frozen Fly Traps also drop the reagent upon harvesting. Fickle Pickle and Burning Snap Dragon as well.

See why Gardening is so important?

Black Lotus can b found by:

• Again, stalking Bazaar until some pop up.
  • Harvesting the reagent in various places (Mooshu [Tree of Life, Cave of Solitude, Ancient Burial Grounds etc.], Vestrilund)
  • Using the Transmute Black Lotus recipe. It does require 10 Cat tails and 10 Ore.
  • Gardening Evil Magma Peas and Burning Snap Dragons.

Now, if you've crowns, you can save yourself the torture of having to find the reagents and purchase the very useful '100 Ore Bundle' or the '100 Black Lotus Bundle' available at the Reagent Bundle Tab. It makes life as you know it a whole lot easier!

Thank you again soo much, you have been of so much help!

I am currently on the Craft quest for the Crimson Book Stands, I am just missing Night Shade! I'm still at adept crafting, but hopefully I'll be able to get that up quick to craft the gear from Avalon.

I have also started gardening, like you recommended. I don't really have that many seeds (Or good ones if that), but at least it's a start!

Again, thanks a bunch. I hope to see you in the spiral someday!

Delver
May 29, 2009
Star Edward gave great advice that should be helpful on your quest to level up your Ice and Storm Wizards. I'd like to add a few things to a couple of items he's mentioned.

Crafting and gardening are aspects of the game as is the recently added (in your interim anyway) fishing. You will find several recipes that you may want to try out once you've gained further status as a Crafter: housing, mounts, spells, etc and many of those recipes will call for specific Ultra versions of seed plants as well as various types of plants.

Here's a link on Gardening from the Wizard101Central Wiki that will show you information for each seed-needs, rank to garden, xp at mature and elder harvests, what TCs, reagents, housing items and other stuff each plant drops, which boss/mobs drop those seeds (so you can farm for them!) and what recipes they are used in:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Seeds

I've read about your deck setup problem and spells you've trained up to. Here's a little bit more info/advice. You can rename your decks (as well as create names for gear) which makes it so much EASIER when you are going into battle without having to change everything. For example my Storm has a "Main Deck" for mobs which consists of 3 storm blades, 3 Colossal enchants, 2 Tempest & 1 Storm Lord. I've "X'ed" out any extra cards I don't need at the bottom that show up from gear and pets. This ensures that I will get the cards I want without having to pass a turn or keep getting multiple of the same cards (or just wand strikes). She also has a "Boss Deck" and a "Storm Boss Deck" each set up specifically to battle bosses only but with Dissipates and Prisms in the Storm Boss deck. It's best to only pack no more than 2 or 3 of any spell. so you don't wind up with a big deck of cards you can't use. If you are afraid you will run out of spells, might I suggest training Reshuffle from the trainer in Colossus Way?

Sometimes you have to know what to NOT pack to be efficient in battle CONT

Delver
May 29, 2009
From Previous post

for example you don't want to put any Snow Angel or Frostbite spells in your deck on your Ice wiz if you are fighting an Ice Boss. They'll just eat up your prisms or if none are placed not do a whole lot of damage. Utilize your sideboard and fill it with TCs that would aid in your battles. A few must haves for me always include a few single heals if I'm by myself or AOE heals if I'm with a team, Clease Charm to get rid of those weaknesses and Entangle dispels, Reshuffle if you haven't trained, and an out of school minion for those solo battles (you don't want your own using up your prisms!)

I know Star Edward didn't say to invest in Empowerment or Infallible as an aura but let me share why I think they are beneficial, especially, for your Ice Wiz.

1. Depending on your stats from your gear and pets Ice tends to fizzle a lot. You CAN use the accuracy line of enchants to minimize this but you sacrifice the extra power from Colossal. Using Infallible aura can help make sure your accuracy is a bit better while you card is strength enchanted.

2. Ice can take a brunt amount of damage so using Empowerment will help you gain pips faster for those higher spells without waiting so many turns. If you're going to get hit (or healed) anyway you might as well get a pip or two out of it!

I spoke about renaming your decks but you can also set up your entire wizard: outfits, wand, athame, ring, pet, and deck and give each of those names. I make sure that I consider WHAT I'm going to be fighting so I know how to dress my wizards. For the most part I rely on universal resist and high damage gear. I'll adjust accordingly if I know I don't have resist to a particular boss on my "everyday wear" and change it up. I've got gear sets titled: Main Set, Boss Set, ______Main Set & _____ Boss Set (for schools of my same class). This way I can easily switch between battles with one click and no deck rearranging. Definitely a time-saver!

Good luck and welcome back!

~SM~

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Love that advice about renaming your deck.

This may be simple and easy to overlook, but it's very important.

As SM mentioned too, he has two spells I advised you not to train. As you can see, there's no one way to really play school, I usually choose to have Fortify up while I charm up etc. I dislike the regular pip Empowerment brings.

I'll however recommend training Infallible. It may be useful.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
I just wanted to add a little info about Nightshade.

First off it can be rarely found at the bazaar.

• It's a rare harvest from Deep Mushroom, and since your is in Avalon, a common place the Mushroom grows is in the Wild; more specifically the village where you'll meet the leprechaun. Check all around the houses and keep switching realms until you've harvested your heart's content.
  • It's also in Wintertusk; specifically in Vestrilund. Apply the idea I mentioned above (be sure you're looking within the least crowded realms). - Avoid WU.
  • It's also sold by Diego for 175 Arena Tickets.

You can try gardening:
  • Fickle Pickle (This plants drop several reagents)
  • Burning Snap Dragon
  • Honey Bee Plant

You can use the Transmute Nightshade Recipe (available from the TC Recipe Vendor in Celestia Base Camp Avery Templeton) which can turns 15 Deep Mushrooms into 1 Nightshade.

Wul'yahm in the Oasis (Krok Crafter) also has the recipe for 200 gold.