Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Choose Pet Talents

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
How about the ability to pick the talents your pet will manifest or the ability to change the talents your pet already has?

Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
That'd completely obliterate any reason for pet hatching. Pet Derbies are already dead, don't want any further damage.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Jordan Willow on Feb 16, 2018 wrote:
That'd completely obliterate any reason for pet hatching. Pet Derbies are already dead, don't want any further damage.
I disagree. It's already frustrating to make a pet. you spend a ton of gold and time and countless pet snacks to level a pet, only for it to manifest a talent that makes the pet useless to you. All those snacks, gold and time you put into that pet are then wasted. This, of course, is after you beg and beg people to hatch with you and they extort every possible thing from you they can.

A pet already has like 10 talents, but only a few manifest. I think it would be nice if we could take that one talent we don't like on a pet. That one talent that would make us trash the pet or store it away somewhere never to be used and switch that talent out for another talent already on the pet anyways that just didn't manifest.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
firestormxxxx on Feb 17, 2018 wrote:
I disagree. It's already frustrating to make a pet. you spend a ton of gold and time and countless pet snacks to level a pet, only for it to manifest a talent that makes the pet useless to you. All those snacks, gold and time you put into that pet are then wasted. This, of course, is after you beg and beg people to hatch with you and they extort every possible thing from you they can.

A pet already has like 10 talents, but only a few manifest. I think it would be nice if we could take that one talent we don't like on a pet. That one talent that would make us trash the pet or store it away somewhere never to be used and switch that talent out for another talent already on the pet anyways that just didn't manifest.
This... still ruins breeding. You didnt explain how it wouldn't irrelevize breeding.
Please name 3 reasons a person would utilize breeding after this update you suggest.

Explorer
Jun 07, 2009
firestormxxxx on Feb 17, 2018 wrote:

I understand the frustration of having spent the time to level up a pet and getting bad talents but it is what it is. Each pet is like a Hoard pack, you're gambling and hoping for the best. Some pet's get five amazing talents and some pet's only get one or two. If you want a pet with better chances at talents that suit your needs, try hatching for them. Yes, there are some people who will only hatch if you gift them something from the Crown Shop or give them treasure cards but there are plenty of people who are willing to hatch for nothing in return. In the end, there isn't anything you can do if the pet is not to your liking. If it is too frustrating for you to spend the time/money/snacks, then don't. You can increase your wizard's stats a different way: farming for gear, loading your items with jewels, buying crown items, etc.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Jordan Willow on Feb 17, 2018 wrote:
This... still ruins breeding. You didnt explain how it wouldn't irrelevize breeding.
Please name 3 reasons a person would utilize breeding after this update you suggest.
3 reasons...I think I can do that.

1. the talents that you could choose would have to be already on the pet. So you would have to hatch the talents you want onto the pet to start with.

2. You would still have to hatch for numbers. You know the strength and power and whatnot that affects the pet talents numbers. The only way to get them up is through pet hatching.

3. You would still have to hatch for the looks of the pet that you want. there is no way to get the kind of pet or pet looks that you want without hatching. yes, you can buy a pet or get a pet drop but you would still have to hatch for numbers and talents. If you have a pet you like with talents and numbers but not looks you would have to hatch them onto a pet you do like the looks of.

It was number 3 that led to my frustration if you're curious. I have a sea dragon that I hatched with someone for a good fire pet. It doesn't have really great talents but the pet is pretty good. Has 2 May cast heals, fire crit, fire damage and resist. not great but I think those are ok talents. But I just don't like the look of the sea dragon. I've had them for a long time. So I decided I would try to breed the stats and talents of that pet onto another pet. I decided to use a very rare pet I have that I don't think you can get anymore called the yellow elf.It looks like the elfs from fire cat alley. I got it in October 2011 for voting for wizard101 for an award and at the time they said it wouldn't be given out again. Anyways it's a very rare pet, you don't see many of them around if any. Long story short, I've hatched this pet at least 20 times maybe more and it keeps getting may cast pierce on it. I don't like may cast pierce and want it gone but can't breed it out of the pet to save my life. This idea was born out of my frustration of wanting to get rid of that one talent, May cast pierce.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
DaisySee on Feb 17, 2018 wrote:
I understand the frustration of having spent the time to level up a pet and getting bad talents but it is what it is. Each pet is like a Hoard pack, you're gambling and hoping for the best. Some pet's get five amazing talents and some pet's only get one or two. If you want a pet with better chances at talents that suit your needs, try hatching for them. Yes, there are some people who will only hatch if you gift them something from the Crown Shop or give them treasure cards but there are plenty of people who are willing to hatch for nothing in return. In the end, there isn't anything you can do if the pet is not to your liking. If it is too frustrating for you to spend the time/money/snacks, then don't. You can increase your wizard's stats a different way: farming for gear, loading your items with jewels, buying crown items, etc.
I thank you for the kind advice. but, is any Wizard really complete without a good pet by his side?

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Jordan Willow on Feb 17, 2018 wrote:
If the choice comes from the talents ALREADY in the Pet's DNA... and you have to train the pet all the way before you can see what choices you have...

Then
1. you would still need to breed pets to get pets with specific sets of talents you desire.
2. you would still need to train pets before you can cherry pick a talent.
3. KI should limit it to ONE swap out. Kind of like a teacher who doesn't count your worst test in your overall grade.

Under those guidelines getting to choose from what's already in the DNA and make a slightly better pet. If you want to try add other abilities NOT in the DNA to the pet lineage, you would still need breeding.

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
Jun 07, 2009
firestormxxxx on Feb 18, 2018 wrote:
I thank you for the kind advice. but, is any Wizard really complete without a good pet by his side?
I am assuming you meant: "is any wizard really complete without a good pet by his side?"

Two reactions to that:
1. This is just my opinion and in no way meant to be rude. Not all wizards identify with the he/him/his pronouns so in the future, please consider using "they/them/theirs" if you are making a generalized statement like the one above.

2. If you are unhappy with your pet's stats, then hatching or buying a new pet are really your only options as of now. But yes, I agree that it would be awesome if you could pick and choose your pet's stats but I am fine with the system the way it is.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
I have wished for some version of this idea for years. My sister and I are HUGE pet hatchers and the talents we aim for change every time we start a character or they come out with a new talent and now there's training to Ultra too.

Over on the Dorms thread Members Benefits Wish List I added an idea for a Pet Talent X-ray Machine.
Basically you'd pay crowns to see what's on the petnome card of a new egg. And if you felt hopeful about that egg after seeing what it inherited, you could pay a second fee (like the loot-roll chests) and see what 5 talents and derby abilities it's definitely going to manifest if it's trained high enough - and the order in which they manifest.

It's on membership incentive thread because members would be able to train to Adult and put the pet in for free or gold but get the same information.

Such an addition wouldn't ruin hatching.
Members can already wait till Test Realm and get most of that information at no cost but time. This would cost Crowns and take out the waiting for us. But I'd be willing to pay crowns so I could KNOW the good hatchers really had that talent I'm working for and how far up to train. Mega Snacks already are basically free since the seeds are dropped - their Crown profits are in elixirs - which we'd still need.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
OH sorry forgot something - on the issue of Choosing the pets talent - it could work --but only at the Egg stage.

When the egg is created it gets the petnome card set - what it inherited from both parents.

But the talents it's going to manifest and the order they manifest in is set in stone at the time it hatches into a baby pet.

So they'd have to put the EGG into the x-ray machine pay to see the petnome card, pay to have the random selection run early setting in stone what talents would manifest (as if the egg hatched at that moment) and then pay a third fee to change it. Old pet species might not be able to be updated to force the "hatch" assignment or to alter it -- but new pets could be coded with that ability from the get-go. AND it would force us back through the mill if we wanted to use that system. Three Crown fees for some pets and a LOT of pets (getting up to a good set of talents) would need two Crown fees.

It wouldn't ruin hatching. It would make it easier for players to do more than pet hatching and for players who have a pet that's almost there but gets a card at Mega instead of Spritely - take out a lot of the pain of it. My mom quit the whole game after trying so hard for so long to get her white Forest Lord hybrid to just get Proof, Shot, Pain-Giver, Spritely. With one of these ideas in the game, she'd have played for years. She loved the game but pet training and hatching made her hate it. We even tried doing it for her, it's like her account is cursed.

And we absolutely would have paid Crowns just to know if one was a dud till we got a card with all the right talents and then to manipulate it and just go quest with her.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
DaisySee on Feb 18, 2018 wrote:
I am assuming you meant: "is any wizard really complete without a good pet by his side?"

Two reactions to that:
1. This is just my opinion and in no way meant to be rude. Not all wizards identify with the he/him/his pronouns so in the future, please consider using "they/them/theirs" if you are making a generalized statement like the one above.

2. If you are unhappy with your pet's stats, then hatching or buying a new pet are really your only options as of now. But yes, I agree that it would be awesome if you could pick and choose your pet's stats but I am fine with the system the way it is.
You're correct I should have said: " by their side". Thank you for the correction.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Helenie Nightseer on Feb 19, 2018 wrote:
I have wished for some version of this idea for years. My sister and I are HUGE pet hatchers and the talents we aim for change every time we start a character or they come out with a new talent and now there's training to Ultra too.

Over on the Dorms thread Members Benefits Wish List I added an idea for a Pet Talent X-ray Machine.
Basically you'd pay crowns to see what's on the petnome card of a new egg. And if you felt hopeful about that egg after seeing what it inherited, you could pay a second fee (like the loot-roll chests) and see what 5 talents and derby abilities it's definitely going to manifest if it's trained high enough - and the order in which they manifest.

It's on membership incentive thread because members would be able to train to Adult and put the pet in for free or gold but get the same information.

Such an addition wouldn't ruin hatching.
Members can already wait till Test Realm and get most of that information at no cost but time. This would cost Crowns and take out the waiting for us. But I'd be willing to pay crowns so I could KNOW the good hatchers really had that talent I'm working for and how far up to train. Mega Snacks already are basically free since the seeds are dropped - their Crown profits are in elixirs - which we'd still need.
I like this idea as well