Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rattlebones needs a mega nerf

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 29, 2010
There are some serious nerfs that need to take place in the game, the one I’m going to talk about is Rattlebones Exalted duel.

Ok the fight is hard enough with their fairy queens 2k damage 1 pip dark sprite that hits everyone, rattlebone’s 99% critical rating, and the -95% doom and gloom. The one cheat I am absolutely floored by is the Rattlebone’s “Tardiness will not be tolerated” cheat.

I believe this cheat needs to be gotten rid of immediately.

It’s not even true to what it says most of the time. If when the fight truly begins and someone is late joining then yes it’s true tardiness but when someone is defeated and they come back to try again that not being tardy that’s being determined. So basically rattlebones isn’t saying “tardiness will not be tolerated” he should be saying “Quit trying loser!” if that’s what he’s gonna be doing every time a player ports back to keep trying.

Does kingsisle truly think we’re supposed to make it through that battle completely unscaved and untouched?

And when we come back to try again what do we get? A kick in the throat, a punch in the gut and pepper spray to the eyes with rattle’s mana burn cheat.

That to me is simply kicking your players in the gut when they’re down.

They get back up to try again and they get a sucker punch in the gut with that mana burn cheat.

Why not replace it by putting up a feint on the player or stunning them or for the love of god turn down the damage from 3000 to maybe what its supposed to be and make it more like 300.

I understand there needs to be challenge but this to me isn’t challenge, it’s insanity. Its not fair, its not fun its not ok.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I 100% agree. Rattlebones badly needs a nerf except for health. Many wizards are not hardcore and may not have the knack and gear like hardcore players do. I thought battles in this game supposed be designed for all players; casual and hardcore not just top of the line wizards. It's not fun when you get defeated a few time in a single battle without getting a chance to play your part as a school wizard meant to do in a fight. How is that challenge called fun? To me it's frustration.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
What is not fun to one person is fun to another. Hardcore players already have precious few options to satisfy their tastes. If this was main line content I would agree with a nerf but leave side content difficulty intact. I vote no to a rattlebones nerf.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
It's all about your team and deck construction. Here are some tips:

If you start from second, go ahead and just have your entire lobby flee and use dungeon recall until you restart going first. If you're having a very hard time with 'Bones, this will help a lot.

An ideal team would consist of a Storm, Balance, Death, and Ice.

If your hitter isn't capable of killing all enemies at once with a Bugs or Sirens, prioritize the Fairy Queen first. The reason why I recommend killing her first if you're unable to kill all is because there is currently a glitch where players will not receive their rewards if they recall to the fight after 'Bones has been defeated with the Queen or minions still remaining. Also, it's hard to find the turns to get Life Dispels up to protect against her big hit.
The Ice should place an Ice Dispel or 2 on both 'Bones and the Queen. This is so Feints can be stacked.
The Death should then Mass Feint if they're capable and spam Virulent Plague and Death Dispels on 'Bones to protect from his hit.
Storm needs to build pips and Storm Dispel the Queen before blading so she doesn't cast disarm. Use traps, Windstorms, bubbles, and auras before getting a blade or 2 up and hitting.
The final Wiz could be anyone really, but I find Balance to be the most useful - especially if they have Life Mastery and can occasionally dispel the Queen. This merc has no role aside from stacking more traps and blades when allowed.
Also, no healing pets.

Good luck!

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 25, 2017 wrote:
What is not fun to one person is fun to another. Hardcore players already have precious few options to satisfy their tastes. If this was main line content I would agree with a nerf but leave side content difficulty intact. I vote no to a rattlebones nerf.
I agree with Eric. For a game to thrive you have to have content for all player types and this is the fairest way to do that. The exalted Rattlebones duel is exactly the best way to handle the casual vs hardcore player issue. It does not pertain to the main quest, so no one has to worry about getting stuck on it in order to progress through the game. Yeah it stinks for those of us who might miss out certain drops or badges, but both side have to give up something.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 25, 2017 wrote:
I agree. This is optional content, besides, the title indicates it's difficulty - "exalted"; that means it's the highest quality.
Also, there are two bosses in the main quest line with a "tardy" cheat, so that's hardly unusual.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
ok, I played all the duels. My question is why Rattlebones is the only exalted duel that has the most cheats and difficulties. Why not the other Exalted ones. It does matter to me that much one way or the other. It doesn't affect my storyline. I'm just tired of hearing all the bickering from other players saying how difficult and unfair duel is. I'd love to do Rattlebones and accept the challenge but how can I peacefully? So I thought it would nice to speak up to see how it can be solved. My solution is why not video on it like Eric did for Medulla with Matthew's battle idea?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Agree that Exalted dungeons should be left as they are.

For Rattlebones, the way to survive in there is to trigger his 'no heals' cheat with a Death dispel in place. Player A places a Death dispel, player B immediately plays a heal on that same turn. Rattle will cast his Doom & Gloom to shut down the heals, but the dispel gets rid of it. He thinks his bubble is up. As long as no one else plays a bubble, you will be able to heal freely from that point on.

As others have said, the next step is to clear out the Fairy Queen. Once you get rid of her, you also get rid of her minions, plus it's possible to place blades and take out Rattlebones himself. If you get defeated, port back, face the burn and then carry on.

I've done it with just two wizards, a Fire and Balance. Was it rough? Yes. Painfully rough until we fine tuned a strategy and even then, the battles took a long time. (Three hours, in one case where everything seemed to go wrong.) Despite the difficulty, a friend and I beat him several times until both wizards got the robes - and we are by no means the "hard core" type of players.

That said? Instead of nerfing, I wouldn't mind a second chance chest at the end.

But otherwise, this battle is meant to be tough and I think it would be better for the game as a whole, if some optional content stays rip-roaringly hard for those who truly relish that kind of challenge.

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I define Hardcore players as: Those who enjoys really tough and challenging battles with multiple cheats and have the knack (natural skills: ability, gift, instinct, tricks, etc... .) to make the fight easy.

Casual: Those who don't enjoy really tough and challenging battles and do not have that hardcore knack to make it easy. Therefore laying everything out in details how to win battles is easier said then done but helps a lot. How can we teach Natural skills? Am I defining Hardcore and Casual correctly?

Survivor
Feb 24, 2014
I agree with the nerf. Even master rattlebones is harder then exalted Krok. You can't always get an ideal team. Most of us don't do rattlebones on a regular basis. We only do it for that one piece of gear most of the time. It's not like some side quest that you can go back to anytime.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2013
Take out the mana burn and it will be just fine.