Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Side quests slow progression...

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 21, 2017
I learned recently that you can get to a much higher level, much faster by not bothering with side quests. They aren't essential to maxing out your character, except for a few that offer certain gear, training points and spells.

Talk about an open secret...I mean, I started playing in 09' and I just learned this late 2017. This begs the question- what are side quests for?

I guess the dialog is nice, you learn a bit more about the characters and lore...if you want a bit more gold and experience before facing the bigger challenges, side quests can give you a leg up.

Ultimately though, the further you are in the main story line, the more experience you get, the faster you level up. So completionists get left in the dust.

I guess what I'm saying is, are you just adding padding to the game to prevent people from beating it all in a month and then cancelling their subscription?

If so, smart, but a better tactic would be to make side quests instrumental to leveling up and progressing.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean "higher level much faster"

I started playing again last year. I've gotten my Wizard to level 78 in and have just started quests in Caer Lyon in Avalon. I've done EVERY side quest I can find.

My nephew who lays only on weekends and started about the same time I did is still in Dragonspyre and is not yet to level 50 (side note I had reached level 55 by the time I reached Dragonspyre).

The speed at which you level up depends on how fast you collect the XP. Side Quests grant you more XP and you will be a higher level at the same point in the story line than someone who did not do side quests.

The only thing that gets done faster by avoiding side quests is advancing the storyline.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Being a higher level by the time you reach Dragonspyre doesn't mean you leveled faster. It just means you're a higher level earlier in the storyline- certainly not a bad thing, but still.

Seriously, try it. You'll see. I thought the same way, until I finally wrangled my completionist instincts and started sticking exclusively to the mainline story quests. It's something you have to experience for yourself to understand how true it is.

Consider it a challenge- "complete the game on a new character without playing any side quests (except those that give training points)"

I'm probs' gonna go on hiatus, so if you respond to this and I don't it's likely because my membership expired and I'm completely absorbed in all the new games and tv shows coming out this month and next.

Survivor
Nov 28, 2015
Necromancer Chris on Oct 22, 2017 wrote:
I learned recently that you can get to a much higher level, much faster by not bothering with side quests. They aren't essential to maxing out your character, except for a few that offer certain gear, training points and spells.

Talk about an open secret...I mean, I started playing in 09' and I just learned this late 2017. This begs the question- what are side quests for?

I guess the dialog is nice, you learn a bit more about the characters and lore...if you want a bit more gold and experience before facing the bigger challenges, side quests can give you a leg up.

Ultimately though, the further you are in the main story line, the more experience you get, the faster you level up. So completionists get left in the dust.

I guess what I'm saying is, are you just adding padding to the game to prevent people from beating it all in a month and then cancelling their subscription?

If so, smart, but a better tactic would be to make side quests instrumental to leveling up and progressing.
Well yeah the side quests are extra padding to the game but that’s only just part of it. The side quests main focus is to provide some extra gold and extra experience so that everyone can level at earlier stages in the game then if they were to only to focus on the main quests, by doing so they can get better gear sooner and be more prepared for the upcoming main quests. I for one happen to be a solo player for the most part so side quests help me a ton. I’ve had people ask and be surprised to find out that, a lot of bosses that they usually have trouble with and need help from other players with, I’ve defeated on my own without any help what so ever.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I think we are operating on two different premises.

To the OP "leveling up" faster is how quick can I zip through the storyline.

To me "leveling up" faster is what level am I at when I reach the same point in the story line as you.

To that I say everyone has their own playing styles. I happen to like doing all the side quests. W101 is not a race to see who can reach Mallistaire in the shortest amount of real world time.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
CallMeNorm on Oct 25, 2017 wrote:
Well yeah the side quests are extra padding to the game but that’s only just part of it. The side quests main focus is to provide some extra gold and extra experience so that everyone can level at earlier stages in the game then if they were to only to focus on the main quests, by doing so they can get better gear sooner and be more prepared for the upcoming main quests. I for one happen to be a solo player for the most part so side quests help me a ton. I’ve had people ask and be surprised to find out that, a lot of bosses that they usually have trouble with and need help from other players with, I’ve defeated on my own without any help what so ever.
Like I said in the original post: "If you want a bit more gold and experience before facing the bigger challenges, side quests can give you a leg up."

- but hey, basically we're in agreement on that. So that's nice eh?

Hmm. Good point to consider though, if you plan to solo the game 100%. Side quests certainly become far more necessary...but if you use team up whenever a boss is too difficult, much less so.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Area51Alien on Oct 25, 2017 wrote:
I think we are operating on two different premises.

To the OP "leveling up" faster is how quick can I zip through the storyline.

To me "leveling up" faster is what level am I at when I reach the same point in the story line as you.

To that I say everyone has their own playing styles. I happen to like doing all the side quests. W101 is not a race to see who can reach Mallistaire in the shortest amount of real world time.

Steven Ghoststalker
You are correct. We are operating under different premises. Unfortunately, you are incorrect about my premise. When I say "level up faster and easier" I mean quite simply what I say. Less time and effort required = faster and easier. I don't understand how you got so confused by that, but hopefully this clears it up.

In addition, just to be clear, I am not advocating that everyone stop doing side quests in favor of the quickest possible play through. I'm sorry if it seemed that way. If you enjoy doing side quests, soloing the game, etc. do what you will. Take your time, go at your own pace, whatever is necessary for your enjoyment. Play your way.

For some people knowing this will be helpful. If you wanna get to level 120+ sooner rather than later, that's the way you speed things up. There's a good possibility you'll need assistance at times though. Especially once you get to Azteca.

This is also constructive criticism for the game though. I really do feel side quests should be more instrumental (read: necessary) so that those of us whose main goal is to get to max level asap have some reason to do them.

Maybe have a certain quota to fulfill, before you can move on. Like, help 5 people before you can move on to the next part of the main story line. Maybe tone down the exp rewards. Maybe have side quests offer something unique that you wouldn't get otherwise, like a special form of currency or something otherwise hard to come by.

I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with that though...just throwing in my 2 cents.

Again, just a heads up, my hiatus will start soon. If I stop responding, that's why. Is the messageboard still only accessible by members with a subscription? If I can continue posting after my sub ends, I may- otherwise, yeah, after the 29th I'm gone, at least for a few months.

Bye for now everyone, hopefully the new update will be live when I come back.