Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pack Mounts

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 27, 2013
This topic annoys me so much. There are so many awesome mounts from packs, but I've only ever gotten one in my 6 years of playing this game. It really annoys me, because I have virtually no chance of getting something and I'm forced to basically spend a ton of money and get nothing trying. I only got my hydra around 3 years ago by my 90th pack or something like that. I wish the mounts could just be available in the Crown Shop once or twice every year for a day or so. That way you didn't have to blow a ton of money just for pet snacks and furniture, which is basically the only thing I ever get in packs. Sorry, just thought I'd go on a rant here, but seriously, make it easier to get mounts from packs! (sorry if this annoyed people, but it really ticks me off, and I just had to let it all out.)

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Mounts are super-rare drops. Opening packs for mounts is basically gambling.

Keep these two thoughts in mind at all times, because getting a mount is rather like hitting the jackpot at a slot machine. Some people get ridiculously lucky and hit the big one on their first try ... others feed in $1000s and get nothing.

If you're going to gamble, gamble smart. Buy packs where you have higher odds of getting a mount.

Right now, there are Halloween packs with several different mounts that can drop. During Christmas, the holiday packs usually drop several different kinds of mounts. Also the Wyvern's Hoard drops several different kinds of dragons and fairy wing mounts; and the Professor's Hoard drops school-sigil mounts.

It's still gambling but you have a better chance of winning.

Another thing you can do is just buy a mount straight out from the Crown shop.

Or, farm some of the one-shot dungeons such as the Wysterian or Baddle of the Bands, for Tiger mounts.

Or, farm skeleton key bosses for a shot at crown pack mounts. I won a Mander Palanquin mount from Ra, for example. Omen Stribog drops a lot of mounts, including several crowns pack ones. The Himoolayan skeleton key boss drops Kirins.

Some mounts are now available for PVP tickets as well, and I hear you can rack up a lot of tickets just by participating in the Tournaments. You don't even have to win!

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
It's OK to let it all out I think.

If they don't increase the number of permanent mounts then maybe they can give us some way to store more things.

I get so many repeat items buying packs. It's not cost efficient because those do not sell for much gold. There are some things that can't be sold at all.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
moshijames on Oct 2, 2017 wrote:
This topic annoys me so much. There are so many awesome mounts from packs, but I've only ever gotten one in my 6 years of playing this game. It really annoys me, because I have virtually no chance of getting something and I'm forced to basically spend a ton of money and get nothing trying. I only got my hydra around 3 years ago by my 90th pack or something like that. I wish the mounts could just be available in the Crown Shop once or twice every year for a day or so. That way you didn't have to blow a ton of money just for pet snacks and furniture, which is basically the only thing I ever get in packs. Sorry, just thought I'd go on a rant here, but seriously, make it easier to get mounts from packs! (sorry if this annoyed people, but it really ticks me off, and I just had to let it all out.)
OMG OP, the only mount I've ever got from a hoard pack is the hydra too!

After trying repeatedly to get the Terror Dog (along with previously repeatedly trying to get other mount drops from hoard packs and not getting them) I no longer buy hoard packs and just stick to bundles where my mount drop is a sure thing.
Why buy a hoard pack when I know I have what is seemingly a 1% chance of getting what I want out of it regardless of how many times I buy it?
It's not worth it and it's a waste of money and crowns IMO.

I love WIZ101 and I'm a paying member.
This game is awesome, but the mount drop chance from hoard packs are ridiculously low.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Currently trying and badly failing to get the Baba Yaga house mount from the witch hoard pack.

That's where google told me it could be dropped from.

I gave up for now. Maybe will try again some day when I feel luckier. I wound up with a lot of repeat items that I don't know what to do with, and now my treasure cards are all full too. It is too time consuming to get rid of those by selling or trading so I will try to just play them.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2013
Freshta on Oct 3, 2017 wrote:
Mounts are super-rare drops. Opening packs for mounts is basically gambling.

Keep these two thoughts in mind at all times, because getting a mount is rather like hitting the jackpot at a slot machine. Some people get ridiculously lucky and hit the big one on their first try ... others feed in $1000s and get nothing.

If you're going to gamble, gamble smart. Buy packs where you have higher odds of getting a mount.

Right now, there are Halloween packs with several different mounts that can drop. During Christmas, the holiday packs usually drop several different kinds of mounts. Also the Wyvern's Hoard drops several different kinds of dragons and fairy wing mounts; and the Professor's Hoard drops school-sigil mounts.

It's still gambling but you have a better chance of winning.

Another thing you can do is just buy a mount straight out from the Crown shop.

Or, farm some of the one-shot dungeons such as the Wysterian or Baddle of the Bands, for Tiger mounts.

Or, farm skeleton key bosses for a shot at crown pack mounts. I won a Mander Palanquin mount from Ra, for example. Omen Stribog drops a lot of mounts, including several crowns pack ones. The Himoolayan skeleton key boss drops Kirins.

Some mounts are now available for PVP tickets as well, and I hear you can rack up a lot of tickets just by participating in the Tournaments. You don't even have to win!

Alia Misthaven
I've been trying to get a halloween mount for years. Haven't even gotten one yet.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
moshijames on Oct 14, 2017 wrote:
I've been trying to get a halloween mount for years. Haven't even gotten one yet.
I've been playing since 2010.
The Hydra is the ONLY mount I've EVER received from a hoard pack despite buying different hoard packs many times over.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that KI has to make money, and I understand that it's a gamble buying hoard packs, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and buying 20+ of one hoard pack and not getting the only/main thing that most people want from the pack is where that line should be drawn IMO.

I no longer buy hoard packs but will spend money and crowns on a bundle that I like in a heartbeat.
However, if someone is an extremely lucky person or just likes the other drops that hoard packs have to offer I say they should go for it and buy hoard packs to their heart's content.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Here is the thing, I collect first generation pets, so generally what I want in a pack is the pet. Instead I usually get a perm mount and have to continue to spam or give up on the pet!

So next time you open packs pretend like you do not care about the mount (i honestly dont i just stuff all the mounts in a house and use 1 on each wiz)!

Packs can be very frustrating indeed!

Survivor
Aug 02, 2016
this has nothing to do with the topic but have been having problems learning backdraft and am almost a max fire wizard, i keep going to friar nolan in avalon but he has no quest for me so i can learn detonate first, i was told to finish wintertusk and i did, i have power link learned also. dont know what the problem is.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Oct 15, 2017 wrote:
Here is the thing, I collect first generation pets, so generally what I want in a pack is the pet. Instead I usually get a perm mount and have to continue to spam or give up on the pet!

So next time you open packs pretend like you do not care about the mount (i honestly dont i just stuff all the mounts in a house and use 1 on each wiz)!

Actually, this does seem to work!

Whatever it is that I'm opening the pack for will be impossible to find (like a pet, robe, or wand), and then something epic that I wasn't trying to get will fall into my hands unexpectedly. I've gotten a couple of Lore spells that way. And then I feel very guilty because it won't be useful for that wizard.

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
James dark on Oct 16, 2017 wrote:
this has nothing to do with the topic but have been having problems learning backdraft and am almost a max fire wizard, i keep going to friar nolan in avalon but he has no quest for me so i can learn detonate first, i was told to finish wintertusk and i did, i have power link learned also. dont know what the problem is.
You need to learn Detonate first. Friar Nolan gives you the quest No Pain, No Agravaine, asking you to fight a knight called Sir Agravaine to get a spell deck back.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Quest:No_Pain,_No_Agravaine#axzz4vgcUjsVd

After that, you'll be summoned by Fianna Yellowknife on the High Road and the quest is Always After Me Charms. She wants you to return her stolen bag of charms. She is the one who will give you the Backdraft spell.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Quest:Always_After_Me_Charms#axzz4vgcUjsVd

Alia Misthaven, 120
Rowan Ashcloud, 120

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
Packs are evil but its probably a huge money draw for KI. They are not going to change them any time soon. I've spent too much on packs myself and let me tell you I don't really have the money to spare. Something you can do is only open packs with crowns you earned via dailies, trivia, and ad watching. It means probably not getting anything, but at least you wouldn't be spending money on it.

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
I sympathize, I've been trying to get the Raven from the Raven's Hoard pack for a while with no such luck

Survivor
Apr 27, 2013
Jasmine3429 on Oct 15, 2017 wrote:

So I basically pretend like I don't want it, and it might happen? That's weird, but I'll try

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
moshijames on Oct 19, 2017 wrote:
So I basically pretend like I don't want it, and it might happen? That's weird, but I'll try
It's not quite like pretend you don't want it, it's more like you start buying the packs specifically for something else that isn't the mount. In Jasmine's case, she's looking for a pet. In my case, often I'm looking for gear or housing items. We know that we're not going to get mounts because the chances are so rare, so when we don't get the mount, we're not disappointed. That's exactly what we expected.

And that's the key. Know ahead of time that you're not getting the mount. This is reality, you're not going to get it. You're after something else.

Set a limit for yourself on how much you're willing to spend - do this up front. If it's 5000 crowns, for example, then spend only that much and no more. When you hit that limit, you stop. What you got is what you got, and if you set your sights on something easier to obtain, like gear, pets, housing item, etc. ... you will be more likely to feel satisfied because those things tend to drop more easily.

When we approach 'gambling on crowns packs' in this way, it's easier to avoid disappointment and desperation. It's easier to control our spending, too. Best of all, on weird and extremely rare occasions when we're focused on some other goal, the mount or a lore spell may fall unexpectedly onto our screen.

It's unexpected because you knew all along that you weren't going to get it.

There's no magic involved, it's just changing our mindset so we're not setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Alia Misthaven