Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Where do you find a good pet?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jul 05, 2014
Hi guys! I need help with pets. I really want to start training pets, but I don't how to find a good pet to train. I have a lot of pets, but none of them are useful or good. Where do you find a good pet that could heal? I'm level 81 if this helps. Thanks so much!

Katie Watergem

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
I'm assuming your pets are first generation (meaning they're pets you got from quests, boss drops, etc. The point is you never hatched it with anyone) and those usually have pretty bad talents.

I'm assuming that you're a life wizard by the symbol. So what you should do is to find which of your pets are in the life school, look up the pet on wizard101central to see what talents they manifest, and train the pets with the talents you want.

The one with the most desirable talents (healing, damage, spell proof) once it reaches adult is the one you take to the pet hatchery.

Make sure you have around 40,000 gold to cover the cost of the hatch, hatch with people who have pets with the traits you want and that's basically it. Unless you're very lucky, it's going to take 6-7 hatches to get the "perfect" pet, but don't worry too much about it if you're only doing pve.

Good luck!

Amber Dreamflower 120
Amber Frostflower 45
Mindy Rainflower 5

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
thatgrumpypanda on Sep 9, 2017 wrote:
I'm assuming your pets are first generation (meaning they're pets you got from quests, boss drops, etc. The point is you never hatched it with anyone) and those usually have pretty bad talents.

I'm assuming that you're a life wizard by the symbol. So what you should do is to find which of your pets are in the life school, look up the pet on wizard101central to see what talents they manifest, and train the pets with the talents you want.

The one with the most desirable talents (healing, damage, spell proof) once it reaches adult is the one you take to the pet hatchery.

Make sure you have around 40,000 gold to cover the cost of the hatch, hatch with people who have pets with the traits you want and that's basically it. Unless you're very lucky, it's going to take 6-7 hatches to get the "perfect" pet, but don't worry too much about it if you're only doing pve.

Good luck!

Amber Dreamflower 120
Amber Frostflower 45
Mindy Rainflower 5
Thank you! I started training my snow beast.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Ok a tangent question. I've focused more of my attention on advancing my Wizard through to the end, and then planned on starting another.

I never seriously considered pet breeding. Is it worth it?

Steven Ghoststalker

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Area51Alien on Sep 11, 2017 wrote:
Ok a tangent question. I've focused more of my attention on advancing my Wizard through to the end, and then planned on starting another.

Steven Ghoststalker
hey steven~ pets are always worth it, especially with the stat bonuses they can give in combat.

one important thing to keep in mind (and this for the op as well): all pet talents are random. first-gen pets (drops, packs, quests, etc.) have a set talent pool and will only manifest a handful of those talents, though there's no way to know which will manifest.

second-gen and newer (hatched) pets also have a set talent pool, though the pool is randomly generated from those of the parents or previous hatches.

here's a tip: if the talents you want haven't manifested by the time your pet reaches adult, find someone to hatch with and try again.

talents aside, there are some cool hybrids you can hatch, either with yourself (if you have multiple wizards) or other players.

hope this helps,

-von

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Area51Alien on Sep 11, 2017 wrote:

Steven Ghoststalker
Hatching is all about mixing. For example, you may want to take the talents or stats from one pet and mix them in with the talents and look of another pet. Sometimes a single hatch is all that it takes to improve an already good pet. (That's extremely rare.)

Most of the time you'll need several hatches and in some cases, it may take dozens of hatches to get the exact combination of talents and stats that you want.

Everyone's going to have different opinions about what talents are best, but as a general rule you want your pet to help make up for a shortfall in your gear. PVPers tend to focus on damage and defense. Lower levels might want help with damage and accuracy. Support players on teams may want defenses or help with healing. "May-cast" talents are another option - your pet might give you blades, traps, bubbles, auras, shields, or send weaknesses, stuns or smokescreens to your enemies.

Hatching is expensive - a good pet will cost you $40,000 - $50,000 gold at minimum. It's also frustrating - most hatches fail, leaving you out all that gold and having to try again. You'll have to hatch the same parents together several times before you get a baby with the right stuff, then train it up and start hatching again. But it's well worth the aggravation when you finally train up that perfect (to you) pet you've been working so hard to get!

Here's a guide with some helpful tips:

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-1/

(It says PVP but the basic principles are the same.)

Alia Misthaven