Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rant

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 28, 2013
Ok, I don't expect anyone to do anything about this, but I just have to get it off of my chest.
I have a level 120 storm that I use in team-up to help smaller players.
I LIKE helping out smaller players,,, It gives me a good feeling,,,, BUT there's something that has been bugging me for quite a while.
At the start of a dungeon like Mount Olympus of The Great Spire, I have a habit of saying "HI". Would it b too much to expect someone to say "HI" back?
Too many times I've taken low level players thru these places in dead silence. I say "Hi" and get ignored,,, I ask if they're on quest or farming and get ignored,,,, Even after the final boss is killed, they don't say a word. Nothing,, Nada,,, ZIP
I ask you people, would it kill you to say something? ANYTHING?
It's getting to the stage where I'm thinking of stopping helping and i really don't want to have to do that.
But I WILL.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Valcoor Dragonfind... on Sep 8, 2017 wrote:
Ok, I don't expect anyone to do anything about this, but I just have to get it off of my chest.
I LIKE helping out smaller players,,, It gives me a good feeling,,,, BUT there's something that has been bugging me for quite a while.
At the start of a dungeon like Mount Olympus of The Great Spire, I have a habit of saying "HI". Would it b too much to expect someone to say "HI" back?
Too many times I've taken low level players thru these places in dead silence. I say "Hi" and get ignored,,, I ask if they're on quest or farming and get ignored,,,, Even after the final boss is killed, they don't say a word. Nothing,, Nada,,, ZIP
It's getting to the stage where I'm thinking of stopping helping and i really don't want to have to do that.
But I WILL.
I know what you mean, but please consider this - these lower levels may have been ridiculed in the past for their gear or stats by higher levels when they spoke. Also, they may be mentally preparing for the fights ahead and need their concentration.
Just continue doing what you're doing, I'm sure many have appreciated your help and maybe one day, someone will say so!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Are you using text chat and they only have menu...? (That's the only thing I can think of.)

It stinks to have your friendly and voluntary help rejected when all you're looking for is a single "hi" in return. I don't know what to say. I'm not the most chatty player, but I always at least give a greeting if someone speaks to me. That's just basic courtesy.

Anyway, it's nice what you do. Just focus on the nice and friendly players you've helped and let them be the reason you keep doing what you do. Some of them might be the type to "pay it forward," and that ends up sending waves of kindness throughout the Spiral.

Alia Misthaven

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Think about it from their perspective.

When you get a really high level wizard through team up then you really don't know what to say, and it's usually because of one of the following:

1)They don't want to say or do something to bother the max wizard for fear they'll just flee the dungeon to get away from the team
2)They don't want to be in the way so they just zip their mouths shut and leave the max to their own devices
3)They fear if they do say something the max wizard will inspect their character and laugh at them/their gear/pet etc... (unfortunately too many max level wizards think this is actually an okay practice)
4) Some players just don't like/want/ are to focused to talk during a dungeon
5) They have the chat bubbles turned off, so they may or may not have noticed you said something

Personally as an archmage balance wizard, and I know if a champion storm shows up in my team up, sure I could just buff myself to my heart's content and cast Judgement (full pips) and do around 7k+ (14k+ with critical) in my eyes that's a good chunk of damage. But that doesn't hold a candle to what a champion storm wizard can do with Storm Owl... and my Ra's damage is pitiful in comparison to a champion's Storm Lord. So to avoid making a fool of myself it's easier for someone like me to be quiet, buff the max wizard, and stay out of their way.

So if lower level wizards don't say anything to you during a dungeon, don't take it personally. It's not that they don't appreciate your help or anything I'm sure they do. But sometimes you just get a quiet team and the only way they're going to speak is if they want to.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
The Lore Keeper on Sep 8, 2017 wrote:
Think about it from their perspective.

When you get a really high level wizard through team up then you really don't know what to say, and it's usually because of one of the following:

1)They don't want to say or do something to bother the max wizard for fear they'll just flee the dungeon to get away from the team
2)They don't want to be in the way so they just zip their mouths shut and leave the max to their own devices
3)They fear if they do say something the max wizard will inspect their character and laugh at them/their gear/pet etc... (unfortunately too many max level wizards think this is actually an okay practice)
4) Some players just don't like/want/ are to focused to talk during a dungeon
5) They have the chat bubbles turned off, so they may or may not have noticed you said something

Personally as an archmage balance wizard, and I know if a champion storm shows up in my team up, sure I could just buff myself to my heart's content and cast Judgement (full pips) and do around 7k+ (14k+ with critical) in my eyes that's a good chunk of damage. But that doesn't hold a candle to what a champion storm wizard can do with Storm Owl... and my Ra's damage is pitiful in comparison to a champion's Storm Lord. So to avoid making a fool of myself it's easier for someone like me to be quiet, buff the max wizard, and stay out of their way.

So if lower level wizards don't say anything to you during a dungeon, don't take it personally. It's not that they don't appreciate your help or anything I'm sure they do. But sometimes you just get a quiet team and the only way they're going to speak is if they want to.
Completely agree.

Also, like anecorbie said I'm sure they appreciate your help. So don't think about it to much.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Another possibility, the wizard in question has NO idea how to use chat at all.

I do most of my questing with my kids (two are still at home and one is moved out). We take care of our dialogue in RW with three of us being in the same house and the fourth on speaker phone.

It wasn't until one day when the fourth who lives out of state couldn't make the playtime and we were casualty joined by a random wizard. This wizard chatted with my two boys and asked why I was being quiet. I had to ask my sons how to reply as I had never done so before then.

That was six months ago and I've been playing off and on since 2010.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I'm not sure why they couldn't say hi.

When I was lower level, I did not know how to check anyone else's level. So I doubt it is because they are too afraid or intimidated by your level.

If you can spend your time helping them, they can take two seconds to say "hi."

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Valcoor Dragonfind... on Sep 8, 2017 wrote:
But I WILL.
For me this is annoying yes but I dislike it more if someone insults me or leaves after I have put in the time to help them.

It's been discussed in the past and I'm not talking about emergencies of course.

I can tell when someone is kind of trolling and tops it off with an oops, bye. Or they are bored and didn't need the dungeon, just wanted to waste time, and then suddenly it's oh guess what I have to go. (Word for word.)

Or when someone drops out of a team up at the very. last. second. and it was their team up. Why? Lol

That happened so many times in one day, recently, that it really turned me off of team ups.

Then another time, all day, I'd get there and not only did the person not 'speak' but did not do anything else either. Didn't move, nada.

So yeah. Please don't troll the helpers. If you're bored, train your pets or something?!

On a positive note: Last time I decided to risk it and help out with a big dungeon. The person was funny and fun to be around. We joked our way through it. I wish all team ups could be fun like that.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
I know I don't usually like to talk. I'm incredibly shy, even on virtual situations like in a game. A message board or forum is a little different because somehow I feel a little more seperation since conversations usally don't happen in real time, but in game I'm talking live, in real time with another person. In addition to that in a situation like you describe I'll probably feel anxious about not playing on par with the other player's standards, and not wanting to do anything that's going to make them roll their eyes and think how dense I am.

That being said, if someone says hi to me I'll usually try to respond with a hi, but sometimes I really don't want to risk being dragged into an awkward conversation while I'm trying to focus on the fight.

If I did find myself being helped by another wizard I would be sure to thank them at the end though, but even if people don't, I'm willing to bet the majority of people do appreciate your help. It's totally understandable to feel how you feel though.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
You raised a good point Iridian.

If someone doesn't say hi, I just continue to help, (If it's a long dungeon though it's gonna feel longer and sometimes it's better to be able to talk strategy a bit, before a long dungeon) but if they say thanks at the end, then I just chalk it up to the wizard being shy or wanting to concentrate.
So that thanks at the end -- which, like hello, can be chosen from the chat menu -- can make a difference. And since it's said just before you leave, you can't be caught in a long conversation either.