Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Account Age and Open Chat

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2010
So, I'm over eighteen and I personally pay for my account, I have a membership, and I've made online purchases with my own money. But for some reason I can't have open chat because my account was created prior to my turning eighteen, but someone who was born in the same year as me/anyone over eighteen can create an account this year and have the open chat option?

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining (just a little bit), I'm just confused more than anything else.... My friends keep telling me I should get/should be able to have open chat but I have checked, double checked, and triple checked but never once have I had this option show up?

I don't know if this has to do with the fact my account was linked with another account via the family membership plan. And that was great for a while, the thing is I'm pretty much in college now and my parents no longer pay for my account and don't feel the need to supervise/monitor my online interactions.

So is that the source of my problem? Are my friends wrong? Is there something wrong with my account? Can anything be done to fix this/is there something I have to do first before I can have open chat? Or will I never be able to have open chat because I created my account before I turned eighteen?

Any answers are welcome and appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
There are 2 criteria to receive Open Chat (not Filtered Chat) on an account:

1) Your account must be set up with an age of 18 years old or older.
2) You must have made a purchase on our site with a valid Credit Card.

This is KingsIsle’s policy and is in line with COPPA requirements & intent – Due to COPPA (the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) we are unable to keep the birth dates of players under the age of 13. This is protected information, and we cannot keep it in our databases

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
The Lore Keeper on Sep 7, 2017 wrote:
So, I'm over eighteen and I personally pay for my account, I have a membership, and I've made online purchases with my own money. But for some reason I can't have open chat because my account was created prior to my turning eighteen, but someone who was born in the same year as me/anyone over eighteen can create an account this year and have the open chat option?

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining (just a little bit), I'm just confused more than anything else.... My friends keep telling me I should get/should be able to have open chat but I have checked, double checked, and triple checked but never once have I had this option show up?

I don't know if this has to do with the fact my account was linked with another account via the family membership plan. And that was great for a while, the thing is I'm pretty much in college now and my parents no longer pay for my account and don't feel the need to supervise/monitor my online interactions.

So is that the source of my problem? Are my friends wrong? Is there something wrong with my account? Can anything be done to fix this/is there something I have to do first before I can have open chat? Or will I never be able to have open chat because I created my account before I turned eighteen?

Any answers are welcome and appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Here's a copy of one of my posts:

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait. HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally. If you put the age as at least 13, then it is simply a matter of waiting.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
just wanted to add to this, since i don't think anyone touched on it and op mentioned that her account was linked to someone else's (part of a family of accounts):

if that's the case, the owner of the parent account can enable open chat for you if s/he was over 18 at the time of account creation and has a valid credit card on file.

-von

Survivor
Mar 09, 2013
can you please give site the law so I can look into this?