Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Got hit with ANOTHER DDoS Attack?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 13, 2015
I do believe another wave of DDoS attacks has flown our way... Servers seem to be out. How much time do these script kiddies have on their hands to DDoS a kids game? Hope this gets fixed .

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
Am I gonna get compensated for time I'm unable to play? I mean I payed for a membership and i cant even log in.

You would think Wiz would have better protection vs DDos guess not.

I'm sure other people feel the same way as well.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
it's a shame that people like that have so much time on their hands that they have nothing better to do with their lives then mess up a family oriented game like this. if they have nothing better to do then where do they get their money for their computers to do a DDOS attack.

Survivor
Oct 06, 2011
They are doing all they can to protect their servers and I have 3 accounts on
this game but I don't blame KI I blame the people doing the attacking. I don't know why they
think it's necessary but KI should not give in to their demands.

Alexander Stormweaver
Level 120 Storm

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
dingo921 on Sep 3, 2017 wrote:
Am I gonna get compensated for time I'm unable to play? I mean I payed for a membership and i cant even log in.

You would think Wiz would have better protection vs DDos guess not.

I'm sure other people feel the same way as well.
If other people feel this way, then it suggests they're ignorant about what a DDOS attack is.

Think of it this way: what if 10,000 telephones suddenly and constantly started calling your home phone. Your phone would start ringing off the hook. Your mother, someone you actually want to talk to, would only get busy signals when she tried to call. If it was your work phone, none of your customers would be able to get through.

What's your defense against that...?

You could try blocking the bad numbers that are calling, but that's taking out one bad number at a time when there's 10,000 of them constantly calling. Even if you manage to block all 10,000 numbers (after hours of hard work!), guess what? The script that the DDOS attackers are using can take over 100,000 more numbers and flood you with bogus calls all over again.

How do you make all those bogus phones stop calling you...?

KingsIsle could turn off the servers completely (like taking your phone off the hook), but that kills their business because they need us to be able to call their servers. We are their customers. All they can do is weed out the bad numbers one by one, but if there's another attack, then they're back to square one.

And that is exactly what has been happening since August 30th. There has been at least four separate attacks.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Jul 27, 2017
ah this is sad, people without a life ddosing a game...

was in the middle of Xibalba too lol

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
I do hope you plan to extend memberships for every player for day the game has been and remains "unavailable" since it is through no fault of our own we were denied access to the game that was paid for. I mean, we did pay for access and you failed to provide said access, thus our memberships need be extended for every day this continues.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2010
This is truly sad. I was just able, after years and more crowns than i can remember, finally fortunate enough to get the "infamous" jewel plant, just to have the opportunity to see them die now! what a waste! i just want to cry and punch something

Survivor
Dec 10, 2014
what happens to memberships or timed mounts over this time because we have payed for our meberships and we cant even log on

Survivor
Dec 15, 2015
how am I meant to enjoy this game and lvl up my pets and get them mega snacks from them couches if I can't log in

Survivor
Dec 15, 2015
its a pain I can't even log in now

Explorer
May 02, 2011
The birthday event should be extended at least two more days due to the attacks and not being able to login or run game

Survivor
Dec 15, 2015
all we can dois sit back and give it time and show your support to KI well they try fix it

Survivor
Dec 15, 2015
to all you wizards out there have time and wait these attacks out I'm sure KI are doing all they can to fix it like all the other times. it sucks but not much we can do about it but keep our fingers crossed

Explorer
Feb 21, 2016
they like to annoying people and get them angry

Survivor
Feb 25, 2017
redeemer1 on Sep 4, 2017 wrote:
This is truly sad. I was just able, after years and more crowns than i can remember, finally fortunate enough to get the "infamous" jewel plant, just to have the opportunity to see them die now! what a waste! i just want to cry and punch something
I have 72 EMP dying on me during double reward event and 4 jewel plants. i sent email begging to let me in just 15 minutes to save my much costly plants. i am overseas so i am really in a bad way and have to wait last to be able to log in if i ever get to. plus i had just bought a block of 60k crowns. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the game 7x and can not get past error 107

Survivor
Feb 25, 2017
Blake the balance on Sep 4, 2017 wrote:
The birthday event should be extended at least two more days due to the attacks and not being able to login or run game
what i do not understand is how i can log into main site and make purchases, etc yet cannot get in game to save my plants

Survivor
Mar 22, 2010
Freshta on Sep 3, 2017 wrote:
If other people feel this way, then it suggests they're ignorant about what a DDOS attack is.

Think of it this way: what if 10,000 telephones suddenly and constantly started calling your home phone. Your phone would start ringing off the hook. Your mother, someone you actually want to talk to, would only get busy signals when she tried to call. If it was your work phone, none of your customers would be able to get through.

What's your defense against that...?

You could try blocking the bad numbers that are calling, but that's taking out one bad number at a time when there's 10,000 of them constantly calling. Even if you manage to block all 10,000 numbers (after hours of hard work!), guess what? The script that the DDOS attackers are using can take over 100,000 more numbers and flood you with bogus calls all over again.

How do you make all those bogus phones stop calling you...?

KingsIsle could turn off the servers completely (like taking your phone off the hook), but that kills their business because they need us to be able to call their servers. We are their customers. All they can do is weed out the bad numbers one by one, but if there's another attack, then they're back to square one.

And that is exactly what has been happening since August 30th. There has been at least four separate attacks.

Alia Misthaven
ty for clarifying exactly what a DDoS attack is. now i understand better and i certainly wouldn't want this to happen to me. KI, you have my sympathy for what you have to go through to get this solved. behind you all the way and TY again freshta for explaining for those of us who didn't know what and how bad this problem really is.

Survivor
Aug 18, 2014
i can understand same situation paid for the game but cos of these stupid attacks can not login

hope things get sorted soon

from the UK here i know i have a friend in the USA able to get in

Survivor
Dec 15, 2015
day three still can log in my plants are propz dead by now who else still can't log in

Survivor
Sep 01, 2011
Thanks for the good explanation, Freshta! I posted this elsewhere, but I think it fits here too:

Wow, just read some of the comments on some other sites-I've always heard ya don't kick anyone when they're down already, no pun intended o.O.
KI has been a stand up, quality game provider until now, and there's no reason that I see to doubt them. Even if (very worse scenario) they don't get it fixed, it won't be because they don't want us to play, or didn't work hard to try; and, they have been fair with returning lost items, mistakenly sold items, game play problems in general, so I think once they solve this they will try to make it right for some complaints. I too am terribly frustrated, but I know the problem is bigger than just me--the Spiral is in Peril!!!!

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
Please be patient with KingsIsle, this is not their fault. It is sad to hear they have to work over the Holiday weekend instead of spending time with their own families.

Good Luck KingIsle.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Blake the balance on Sep 4, 2017 wrote:
Yeah I feel like they should extend the birthday event.

Survivor
Oct 04, 2009
Emma Skycloud on Sep 4, 2017 wrote:
how am I meant to enjoy this game and lvl up my pets and get them mega snacks from them couches if I can't log in
Actually, there is another KI game called Grub Guardian and you can log in there. If you play you can train your pet or get gold and such as prizes for beating levels.

Survivor
Oct 04, 2009
Lauren Death on Sep 4, 2017 wrote:
what i do not understand is how i can log into main site and make purchases, etc yet cannot get in game to save my plants
The game and the website are two different things entirely. If you log in to your game, it won't log you into the website. I'm guessing the hackers aren't trying to flood the website, just the game.

Signed,

Iridian Ghoststalker