Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Boss fights you are supposed to lose

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Its getting to point were I feel like the most powerful thing in the spiral. If there were some boss fights that you were supposed to lose it would make me feel like there was still room for my character to grow and look forwards to the next time I get to fight the boss. What do you guys think?

Explorer
Apr 10, 2013
I can reply to this under two scenarios.

1. If you have beaten Avalon and began Azteca or worlds beyond this comes as bit of a surprise to me. I'm fully aware of the complaints about nerfing numerous worlds much too hard, but past Avalon you should still face at least a few bosses who have killed you, forcing you to strategize and think. If you are in Azteca or further, and haven't faced any bosses who when soloing you will lose to, I gotta say you are pretty powerful after all. This response is also assuming that you are referring to when you solo bosses, minions, ect.

2. If you are in a world before Avalon don't let it come as a surprise to you. Most people are capable of soloing up to Azteca with minimal issues, regardless of what school your in. This of course is as a result of them nerfing worlds, which to start with were fine, obviously making them too easy all together.

Hope this helps!

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I like this idea but I don't see how king isle would implement it. See when we loose we die so we ported out, this means the quest would not track, unless we had to survive a specific amount of rounds before we "die" to complete quest.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
JoshStormWiz on Mar 24, 2017 wrote:
I can reply to this under two scenarios.

1. If you have beaten Avalon and began Azteca or worlds beyond this comes as bit of a surprise to me. I'm fully aware of the complaints about nerfing numerous worlds much too hard, but past Avalon you should still face at least a few bosses who have killed you, forcing you to strategize and think. If you are in Azteca or further, and haven't faced any bosses who when soloing you will lose to, I gotta say you are pretty powerful after all. This response is also assuming that you are referring to when you solo bosses, minions, ect.

2. If you are in a world before Avalon don't let it come as a surprise to you. Most people are capable of soloing up to Azteca with minimal issues, regardless of what school your in. This of course is as a result of them nerfing worlds, which to start with were fine, obviously making them too easy all together.

Hope this helps!
I see what you are saying but I was thinking more about the story. There are definitely challenging bosses in the game. I just think as far as the story goes there have been to many victories and not enough defeats.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Best senario:

in a fight, after 10 rounds a new enemy enters
your quest is to get thrown in a prison, inside the enemies tower.. break out, and.......

survive 10 rounds till the new guy shows up, and lose... you'll be teleported with a different set of gear (prison gear) and make your way out of the prison to the main hall (there's a chest with all your stuff)

Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
I do like this concept. Yes, our wizard is the great hero of the spiral, but we're no deity or perfect being. Various rpg use the you can't win don't even try battles for plot purpose and I could see it work fine here.

Maybe you face something that is immune to your attacks due to the fact that your 'tainted' with shadow magic. Upon losing, some force jumps in to intervene and revives you along with making the boss vulnerable to attack.

Another scenario is you lose intentionally, sort of as mentioned above, to get into some place. Instead of being ported back to the 'commons' of the world your thrown into a different place. Kinda like... Well, like something that happens in Mirage. I won't go into details.

Maybe so that things don't feel like a total waste of time and effort, make it so whatever damage you would have done carries over in the form of some debuff based on a ranking system. Like... you do 1000 damage when the boss is vulnerable it has a 20% attack debuff at the start and so on. That would be so people wouldn't just let the boss beat the heck out of them and kinda ruin the idea of the story.

Make it so the boss isn't beatable at first, but your efforts in the mean time are rewarded later.