Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New to the game

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 28, 2017
Hi i am new and have been playing the game for about a week, I was just wondering, if you have to use the same school of pet that is the same as your character..

for ex..I am a necromancer hence death school, does that mean i need to use a death school pet or does it matter, cause so far i have found 1 life pet the sprite, 1 myth sprite, and well a dragon and the piggle and pet cyclops...just not sure which school of pet would be pest to use..

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Snowbearkay on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
Hi i am new and have been playing the game for about a week, I was just wondering, if you have to use the same school of pet that is the same as your character..

for ex..I am a necromancer hence death school, does that mean i need to use a death school pet or does it matter, cause so far i have found 1 life pet the sprite, 1 myth sprite, and well a dragon and the piggle and pet cyclops...just not sure which school of pet would be pest to use..
as you level up, there are school-specific pets that can only be equipped by wizards belonging to that school. but, at the stage you're at, it doesn't matter~ most dropped or purchased (for crowns) pets are useable by everyone.

-von

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Welcome to Wizard101!

No, you don't need to have the same school pet as your own school. But it is advised to since that pet will mostly give talents for the school it's in.

You won't get any good talents with dropped pets, but if you have someone who is willing to hatch with you, a lot of patience and gold then you'll be set.

I hope this helped.

Survivor
Aug 24, 2013
You can use a pet of any school as long as it's not for that school only
GL and happy training!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
As you quest and level up, you will be receiving notifications from your teacher to visit them and you will get quests for Death pets.

On that note, you don't have to use Death pets if they are not available to you right now. All of my wizards have off-school and school pets they can use.

Good luck to you young wizard!

Brynn

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
No you don't need to use a pet of the same school, but often same school pets will have talents you desire...like talents that boost death damage or defense against death school.

The best pets are generally a hybrid based on whatever talents you want...but I will warn you now to get even a halfway decent pet requires a lot of time, effort and no small amount of gold so patience is a must if you want a really useful pet.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2017
Ok thanks for all the input, it has been very helpful...

Survivor
Feb 28, 2017
Another pet question, i have is, are the free in game pets, mostly just cosemetic, meaning just to look cute..

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Snowbearkay on Mar 29, 2017 wrote:
Another pet question, i have is, are the free in game pets, mostly just cosemetic, meaning just to look cute..
The early pets are mostly for looks or to have roaming around in your home. Starting at level 48, you will earn school pets and quest reward pets that can be trained and provide you with useful talents to help you in battle. Useful pets also drop from bosses and dungeons; and come with GameStop bundles, gift cards, or as purchases from the Crowns shop.

If you're curious about any pet that you have or that you see someone else with, just Google "Wizard101 ___ pet" (the type of pet you want to know more about). For example: Wizard101 stray piggle pet.

A page will pop up describing where the pet comes from (battle, boss, quest reward, Crown shop, etc), what it's talents and stats are, what snacks it likes to eat, and whether you can hatch it with other types of pets to get unique hybrids.

An example of hybrid pets is my Balance wizard's Astral Judgement, a hybrid between Judgement (Balance level 58 pet) and Forest Lord (Life level 58 pet). The best pets come from careful hatching to combine the mix of talents and stats that will most help your wizard. Be warned, however: hatching a perfect pet takes time, tons of gold, persistence and patience.

Happy hatching!

Alia Misthaven