Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

a Question about Power Nova

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 24, 2012
We all know that Balance level 48 spell, Power Nova. Well as some of you oldies may remember, it wasn't always called Power Nova. Yes that's right, it used to be called SuperNova, however it was changed when the new spell supernova (2 pip bubble pop) came out, but if anything, the new supernova makes more sense if it's called Power Nova, and Power nova should of stayed as Supernova.
My question is Why were the name's changed? Any feedback helps.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Leicrex on Mar 12, 2017 wrote:
We all know that Balance level 48 spell, Power Nova. Well as some of you oldies may remember, it wasn't always called Power Nova. Yes that's right, it used to be called SuperNova, however it was changed when the new spell supernova (2 pip bubble pop) came out, but if anything, the new supernova makes more sense if it's called Power Nova, and Power nova should of stayed as Supernova.
i'm not sure what you mean, since my main wizard is balance and the spell has been called power nova as long as i've had it.

in the years i've been here, i've seen item names changed (if they were too close to an item that already existed), but never seen that done to a spell. i went looking for any evidence that the name used to be different, but can't find any.

-von

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Dr Von on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:
i'm not sure what you mean, since my main wizard is balance and the spell has been called power nova as long as i've had it.

in the years i've been here, i've seen item names changed (if they were too close to an item that already existed), but never seen that done to a spell. i went looking for any evidence that the name used to be different, but can't find any.

-von
I swear back in 2009-2010 it was called Supernova

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Leicrex on Mar 12, 2017 wrote:
Hey there.

I would assume that the names were changed due to the introduction of star magic and how stars work in the real world.

In our universe, if a star is destroyed it goes "supernova". Similar when an aura (a STAR school spell) is destroyed, it is destroyed by an effect called "supernova".

In this case, the name supernova would make more sense for it's intended effect than the name "power nova".

They're both great spells none the less

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 115+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
thelastdiviner on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:
Hey there.

I would assume that the names were changed due to the introduction of star magic and how stars work in the real world.

In our universe, if a star is destroyed it goes "supernova". Similar when an aura (a STAR school spell) is destroyed, it is destroyed by an effect called "supernova".

In this case, the name supernova would make more sense for it's intended effect than the name "power nova".

They're both great spells none the less

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 115+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks!!!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Leicrex on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:
I swear back in 2009-2010 it was called Supernova
i joined in early 2011, and it was power nova then; not sure about before that, though one would think that the old name would be included on the wiki page if it had been changed.

this is gonna drive me nuts now lol.

-von

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I'm going with what Dr. Von said.

I've been playing Balance since late 2009 and don't recall the spell changing names. It's always been PowerNova as far as I know. If there was a name change, it must have happened before Autumn 2009.

Alia Misthaven