Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life 120?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 04, 2012
Hi I just started doing pvp and I stink I've tried looking for guides on how to do pvp for level 120 life but nobody made one and all the other guides are years old so they aren't really going to help much I really need help can anyone please give me some pointers so I don't keep dying every match I keep getting warlords everytime I play and I'm not even the all opponent mode please help

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
silver swordcoral on Mar 11, 2017 wrote:
Hi I just started doing pvp and I stink I've tried looking for guides on how to do pvp for level 120 life but nobody made one and all the other guides are years old so they aren't really going to help much I really need help can anyone please give me some pointers so I don't keep dying every match I keep getting warlords everytime I play and I'm not even the all opponent mode please help
Hey there!
I have a Max-PvP Commander Life myself. It wasn't easy, but here are some pointers that ranked me up.

Gear - Let us know what your gear is; we might make adjustments starting there!

Pet - Let us know your pet's talents. Recommend at least having proof and damage.

Spells - Luminous Weaver and Hungry Caterpillar are a MUST for PvP. At 120 you have Lamassu, which costs one pip less than caterpillar, but the 800 absorb will really save your life.

My PvP Strategy:

Lifeblade often- (Except when facing storms or fires! They both hit hard and fast so in those cases you need to hit hard and fast as well! Your damage aura, devotion, works perfect instead. I also like to keep up "brace"(-20 incoming damage over 4 rounds) as much as I can. Never use auras around balance, period.)
Build up pips- (Except when facing balance wizards due to mana burn! In these cases, I never go above 4 power pips.)
Main Strategy: Spam luminous weaver and llamasu. Use life dispel when starting spam to prevent them from messing you up later. Heal with combination of Satyr and Regenerate. I found regenerate works best against lore spamming. Use guardian spirit if you can, but don't make it a priority.

Use caterpillar if they start to hit you hard or spam (Be cautious using around ice wizards. Some of them like to steal the absorb, so I would use a weaver instead.)

Try using your minion. She can break shields and keep you alive. (Do not bother using her when facing storm or balance- you need to focus on your pips and hitting.)

Don't use high pip attacks too often. If they life dispel- bye pips
Don't keep your blades only for caterpillar or lamassu. If you don't get pips, your wasting time with the blade. It works great with weaver.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Nathan GreenEyes 108+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Polaris, join me!)
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
thelastdiviner on Mar 12, 2017 wrote:
Hey there!
I have a Max-PvP Commander Life myself. It wasn't easy, but here are some pointers that ranked me up.

Gear - Let us know what your gear is; we might make adjustments starting there!

Pet - Let us know your pet's talents. Recommend at least having proof and damage.

Spells - Luminous Weaver and Hungry Caterpillar are a MUST for PvP. At 120 you have Lamassu, which costs one pip less than caterpillar, but the 800 absorb will really save your life.

My PvP Strategy:

Lifeblade often- (Except when facing storms or fires! They both hit hard and fast so in those cases you need to hit hard and fast as well! Your damage aura, devotion, works perfect instead. I also like to keep up "brace"(-20 incoming damage over 4 rounds) as much as I can. Never use auras around balance, period.)
Build up pips- (Except when facing balance wizards due to mana burn! In these cases, I never go above 4 power pips.)
Main Strategy: Spam luminous weaver and llamasu. Use life dispel when starting spam to prevent them from messing you up later. Heal with combination of Satyr and Regenerate. I found regenerate works best against lore spamming. Use guardian spirit if you can, but don't make it a priority.

Use caterpillar if they start to hit you hard or spam (Be cautious using around ice wizards. Some of them like to steal the absorb, so I would use a weaver instead.)

Try using your minion. She can break shields and keep you alive. (Do not bother using her when facing storm or balance- you need to focus on your pips and hitting.)

Don't use high pip attacks too often. If they life dispel- bye pips
Don't keep your blades only for caterpillar or lamassu. If you don't get pips, your wasting time with the blade. It works great with weaver.

Nathan GreenEyes 108+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Polaris, join me!)
My gear ( the lady of spiders royal ring) ( jewel of the shadow web) ( the dark woman's dagger) (raptureriders skull) ( undying malistaires boots) (bonesmashers robe of zeal) (krokopatra vigor fez) (luphilims rapture deck) my pet is a polar fox stats are ( spell defying) (ace avenger) (fairy friend) (critical striker) (life bringer) and a no pain no gain jewel the jewels on my gear are universal shield health universal block a balance blade jewel life critical and one outgoing heal thank you so much for the help I really needed it

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
silver swordcoral on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:
My gear ( the lady of spiders royal ring) ( jewel of the shadow web) ( the dark woman's dagger) (raptureriders skull) ( undying malistaires boots) (bonesmashers robe of zeal) (krokopatra vigor fez) (luphilims rapture deck) my pet is a polar fox stats are ( spell defying) (ace avenger) (fairy friend) (critical striker) (life bringer) and a no pain no gain jewel the jewels on my gear are universal shield health universal block a balance blade jewel life critical and one outgoing heal thank you so much for the help I really needed it
No problem! With that gear you're already on the right track!

I personally changed my ring for the Alpha and Omega ring to the Level 100 Duelist one for the extra 6% pierce stat but otherwise you totally have that part down!

Good Luck on your matches! If you have any questions about working around tricky strategies, reply and I see if I might have had a similar experience!

Nathan GreenEyes 115+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
thelastdiviner on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:

I personally changed my ring for the Alpha and Omega ring to the Level 100 Duelist one for the extra 6% pierce stat but otherwise you totally have that part down!

Good Luck on your matches! If you have any questions about working around tricky strategies, reply and I see if I might have had a similar experience!

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it I'm going to give your tips a try and see how I do thanks again

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Dark Pact isn't that useful for PvP. You might want to use a different pet jewel.

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
thelastdiviner on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:

Hi it's me again your tips have been working great I've been doing better but I need help again for some reason I keep getting warlords when I pvp but I'm not using the find all opponents button why does this keep happening please tell me thanks again for all the help

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
silver swordcoral on Mar 21, 2017 wrote:
Hi it's me again your tips have been working great I've been doing better but I need help again for some reason I keep getting warlords when I pvp but I'm not using the find all opponents button why does this keep happening please tell me thanks again for all the help
Provided that they're level 120 (instead of being level 100 which is almost as good as 120), you should probably avoid joining matches that take a long time to form, as they tend to be more lopsided.

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
sKochiya on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
Provided that they're level 120 (instead of being level 100 which is almost as good as 120), you should probably avoid joining matches that take a long time to form, as they tend to be more lopsided.
Oh ok thanks for telling me that will help a lot

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
silver swordcoral on Mar 21, 2017 wrote:
That tends to happen with high level PvP. There are no levels higher than you so your opponents don't tend to be as diverse in rank as Magus or Grandmaster PvP. sKochiya makes a great point

Good Luck!

Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
Genevieve HexPyre 60+ Looking Funky, Looking Fly
(Currently questing through Zafaria)

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
thelastdiviner on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:
That tends to happen with high level PvP. There are no levels higher than you so your opponents don't tend to be as diverse in rank as Magus or Grandmaster PvP. sKochiya makes a great point

Good Luck!

Genevieve HexPyre 60+ Looking Funky, Looking Fly
(Currently questing through Zafaria)
Hey lastdiviner I need more help again I'm having a little bit of trouble with balance wizards I keep getting them in matches lately and they keep beating me with that gaze of fate spell and that one that gets rid of your aura any tips?

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
silver swordcoral on Mar 30, 2017 wrote:
Hey lastdiviner I need more help again I'm having a little bit of trouble with balance wizards I keep getting them in matches lately and they keep beating me with that gaze of fate spell and that one that gets rid of your aura any tips?
Sorry about the late reply!

Argh, those blasted balance wizards are tough aren't they? I don't enjoy fighting balance wizards, but I did happen to mention some tips in my original post that I can elaborate on.

Never use auras around balance, period.
Never build up pips when facing BALANCE wizards due to mana burn! In these cases, I never go above 4 power pips.

By following these two rules, you are taking away balance's powerful tools to help them win so all you really have to focus on are the loremasters.

They are stuck with mana burn and supernova cards clogging up their deck and side deck in their attempt to find alternatives. You may have to make some adjustments to your strategy as well.

Instead of using brace, try to use more tower shields. Balance still lacks a damage over time spell so you can safely stack them. This also helps when they decide to pull out a gaze of fate as you are protected against both hits.
Blade up more often if you can. Try to get a blade for every strong shadow-enchanted it, or an open shot-weaver.

Try to put at least 3-4 of Namaste into your deck for any match. They aren't as spammable in terms of pips, but they do make your opponent work in an effort to change it. I usually only carry 1 or 2 Sanctuary for any schools other than balance, death, and fire. NEVER use sanctuary against these schools as they can benefit from it. Balance has availing hands, death has sacrifice and fire have power link. (I know power link might seem silly as a way to heal, but if they spam and critical it, IT WORKS. Storms have healing current, but you won't see many of them use it.

Hope this helps!

Genevieve HexPyre 77+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Avalon)

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
thelastdiviner on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:
Sorry about the late reply!

Argh, those blasted balance wizards are tough aren't they? I don't enjoy fighting balance wizards, but I did happen to mention some tips in my original post that I can elaborate on.

Never use auras around balance, period.
Never build up pips when facing BALANCE wizards due to mana burn! In these cases, I never go above 4 power pips.

By following these two rules, you are taking away balance's powerful tools to help them win so all you really have to focus on are the loremasters.

They are stuck with mana burn and supernova cards clogging up their deck and side deck in their attempt to find alternatives. You may have to make some adjustments to your strategy as well.

Instead of using brace, try to use more tower shields. Balance still lacks a damage over time spell so you can safely stack them. This also helps when they decide to pull out a gaze of fate as you are protected against both hits.
Blade up more often if you can. Try to get a blade for every strong shadow-enchanted it, or an open shot-weaver.

Try to put at least 3-4 of Namaste into your deck for any match. They aren't as spammable in terms of pips, but they do make your opponent work in an effort to change it. I usually only carry 1 or 2 Sanctuary for any schools other than balance, death, and fire. NEVER use sanctuary against these schools as they can benefit from it. Balance has availing hands, death has sacrifice and fire have power link. (I know power link might seem silly as a way to heal, but if they spam and critical it, IT WORKS. Storms have healing current, but you won't see many of them use it.

Hope this helps!

Genevieve HexPyre 77+ PvP Warlord
Hi it's ok I know life gets in the way of gaming sometimes I had forgotten you had put balance tips in your first post until I looked back here a few days ago thanks again for all the tips I've gotten a lot better with them I'm hoping to get to commander thanks again for all your help and good luck in all your matches

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks! You too!
Genevieve HexPyre 84+ PvP Warlord

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
Hey it's me again I've been having a little bit of trouble with storm wizards I keep running into them and they have over 900 critical damage I didn't even know it could get that high and the pierce is super high to any tips?

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Hey!

Ah yes, storm wizards. They can be intimidating with their high critical, high damage and fast attacking strategies, but what they gain in damage they lack in defenses. Thank goodness they have low health!

You'll find that a lot of them would go for a wild bolt asap if you have a set shield on than take the second to set defences for themselves.

What I found works here is using an outwit and outlast strategy.

What you want to focus on when they have a moderate amount of pips is shielding and spamming those heals. Don't let them get you down below half health as a out of the blue storm lord or Iron Sultan could end you. They will expend their pips trying to keep you down.

If you can, use namaste to boost the chance to critical your heals as well as pierce through any tower shields they may put down during their spam. An open shot llamassu or caterpillar will take off half of their health! Then simply spam weavers with shields.

If you are ever in a bind, keep putting luminous weaver weaknesses on them. These are great as they cannot be countered unlike pierce can through shields. As well, keep Brace up as much as possible to lower the pierce through shields. Do anything you can to decrease their damage.

Sometimes a max bolt can win the match for them, but if you can put up a greater defence, you'll find that many storm wizards can't defend themselves efficiently.

Things like infallible and their global are good indicators that they intend to dish out a whole lot of pain in the coming rounds.

Hope this helps!

Genevieve HexPyre 100+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Khrysalis)

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
thelastdiviner on May 5, 2017 wrote:
Hey!

Ah yes, storm wizards. They can be intimidating with their high critical, high damage and fast attacking strategies, but what they gain in damage they lack in defenses. Thank goodness they have low health!

You'll find that a lot of them would go for a wild bolt asap if you have a set shield on than take the second to set defences for themselves.

What I found works here is using an outwit and outlast strategy.

What you want to focus on when they have a moderate amount of pips is shielding and spamming those heals. Don't let them get you down below half health as a out of the blue storm lord or Iron Sultan could end you. They will expend their pips trying to keep you down.

If you can, use namaste to boost the chance to critical your heals as well as pierce through any tower shields they may put down during their spam. An open shot llamassu or caterpillar will take off half of their health! Then simply spam weavers with shields.

If you are ever in a bind, keep putting luminous weaver weaknesses on them. These are great as they cannot be countered unlike pierce can through shields. As well, keep Brace up as much as possible to lower the pierce through shields. Do anything you can to decrease their damage.

Sometimes a max bolt can win the match for them, but if you can put up a greater defence, you'll find that many storm wizards can't defend themselves efficiently.

Things like infallible and their global are good indicators that they intend to dish out a whole lot of pain in the coming rounds.

Hope this helps!

Genevieve HexPyre 100+ PvP Warlord
Thanks again for all the help and the tips

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
No problem! Good luck!
Genevieve HexPyre 102+ PvP Warlord

Defender
Mar 04, 2012
Hey since test realm came and it's going to start a new pvp age when it hits live I think I'm going to try pvp again so I was wondering if anyone could help me get back up to speed like maybe give me a idea of something I need to change to get better at it I really want to get to commander to get that robe it has so many memories connected to it for me if anyone can give me some ideas I'd really appreciate it I'm going to keep trying all the tips everyone gave me before I think I was using them wrong here's hoping this round works out better everyone good luck