Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New mechanic idea

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 10, 2015
i think it would be neat if wizards could dodge skills that are half of there skill level. Level 100 could dodge any skill under level 50. The dodge is not garanted but could be a small chance eg 20% chance. It would me neat addition and would replace the problems of small rank 4 skills spams in pvp. This would remove trolling like wild bolt, insane bolt.

This can also be applied to all pet cards. As a pvper I am sick of low level having high pets and preverting the system. Pets dodge skills should be near 60% to avoid this issue

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Feb 16, 2017 wrote:
i think it would be neat if wizards could dodge skills that are half of there skill level. Level 100 could dodge any skill under level 50. The dodge is not garanted but could be a small chance eg 20% chance. It would me neat addition and would replace the problems of small rank 4 skills spams in pvp. This would remove trolling like wild bolt, insane bolt.

This can also be applied to all pet cards. As a pvper I am sick of low level having high pets and preverting the system. Pets dodge skills should be near 60% to avoid this issue
If a low level PvPer has a well trained pet, then there is a very good chance they also have a high level wizard they use to train those pets since most low level wizards don't have enough energy or gold to do it. If you want a good pet, you have to work for it.

As for a "dodge" skills, I highly doubt you will get many in support of this idea.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
It does not matter if they have a high wizard or not. Having a strong pet allows to cheat the system. Pvp is about being fair not about giving a mechanical advantage. Pvp should be about skill not tc critical or pets. This would return fairness to pvp. The players who disagree are the players who have to relay on cheap tricks.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Feb 18, 2017 wrote:
It does not matter if they have a high wizard or not. Having a strong pet allows to cheat the system. Pvp is about being fair not about giving a mechanical advantage. Pvp should be about skill not tc critical or pets. This would return fairness to pvp. The players who disagree are the players who have to relay on cheap tricks.
How do you figure it is cheating the system if they have a strong pet?

If KI didn't intend to allow PvPers to have strong pets or other means for battle, then those things would NOT be there. I can guarantee you that there are very few who would agree with you.

I have not entered the arena to battle in many years and have no desire to do so now. But those who have and still do, have worked very hard to get where they are. Changing it isn't going to return or change the fairness in PvP and those who disagree with you are not relying on cheap tricks.

There are those who will tell you that you will just have to work for a strong pet the same as they did. Why should they give up what they worked for to make it easier for those who don't want to take the time to work just as hard to achieve a goal?

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Lukeskywalker1313 on Feb 18, 2017 wrote:
Not really.

If anything having a dodge skill would be a cheap trick. Imagine if you're about to kill me and I dodge your attack? Then my spell kills you. Fair? I don't think so.

Spamming attacks in NOT "trolling".

Not trolling: Using wild bolt, loremaster or luminous weaver to keep pressure on the target.

Trolling: Spamming dispels on the target with no desire to go for a killing hit with intent to anger them.

Be careful how you read PvP strategies. Not all pvp players who spam 4 pip spells are automatically "trolling you". That's silly.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 80+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I think we should only be able to dodge wand hits and enemy natural attacks. It makes the most sense that way. But even though KI can try and make this happen I don't think we should have dodging at all.

Even though spamming is a thing, maybe KI can add something where you cannot use a certain spell like Insane Bolt, Wild Bolt etc.. more then 3 times. There should be a cooldown for it.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
critical epic lighting bats, with 100 in storm damage..... all i'm saying

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Mirajane7887 on Feb 19, 2017 wrote:
I think we should only be able to dodge wand hits and enemy natural attacks. It makes the most sense that way. But even though KI can try and make this happen I don't think we should have dodging at all.

Even though spamming is a thing, maybe KI can add something where you cannot use a certain spell like Insane Bolt, Wild Bolt etc.. more then 3 times. There should be a cooldown for it.
Agree. There would be no point in the game if dodging is implemented. Not even wands or Natural attacks.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I don't think you understood my idea. Dodging is not like critical or like block, it's a very Lowe chance. My suggestion was to have dodge set to 20% chance. This is not very high so wands and low spells still work. I suggested make pet skills 60% dodge because I find them outrages in general.it would be easier for king isle to remove pets all together in pop but that's not what my main suggestion was. I suggested it as a method to help reduce the chances in pvp. I still think dodging is a must have for pop equality.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
If the chance is that low, what would be the point at all? It would still just be a useless, unneeded mechanic that was just taking up data and causing Ki to have to dig at our wallets more. It cost money to develop, add, and maintain these features you realize. We don't need a/another feature that's super situational and not even all that helpful.

Also the idea of removing all pets all together in pvp is ludicrous. Why would you make pets a exclusively PVE thing? I could see putting a ban on certain pets just as certain spells are banned, but to remove pets from pvp all together? If you put in the work you should reap the rewards. Your trying to say taking pets out of pvp would make things more 'fair', but then hows it fair to those who work to make that pet if they can't use it in pvp?

Pvp is player verses player. If one player puts in more effort into getting the gear and the jewels and the pet then sets up their deck right and makes the right moves in the battle, they should win because they put more effort into it. You sports players getting mollycoddled why should a pvper in a game get mollycoddled? Athletes have to train hard to stay in shape and sharpen their skills. You gear, jewels, pet, etc those are a physical incarnation of your 'training'. If you don't do the work, you don't get the reward. Even the wild bolt and insane bolt spammers still have to have the gear and pets to do enough damage for it to be efficient which means they put in the work.

If you took pets out of pvp to make things more 'fair' you'd also have to make it so everybody has a default set of equipment with a standardized deck and a auto leveler. That way, you two would be exactly the same and it would come down to nothing but basic skill and chance. You'd also likely have to add a coin flip feature because chances are whoever went first would be the victor. That likely would get stale fast.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
I don't think you understood my idea. Dodging is not like critical or like block, it's a very Lowe chance. My suggestion was to have dodge set to 20% chance. This is not very high so wands and low spells still work. I suggested make pet skills 60% dodge because I find them outrages in general.it would be easier for king isle to remove pets all together in pop but that's not what my main suggestion was. I suggested it as a method to help reduce the chances in pvp. I still think dodging is a must have for pop equality.
I understand perfectly what you are proposing. I also DISAGREE with something like this being added.

It is getting extremely frustrating to have players come here and suggest making changes in the mechanics that shouldn't be made. The point of this game is to take what is thrown at you and learn to fight back. Any kind of mechanic that changes that aspect of the game on DEGRADES the game even more.

PvP has enough problems now and this kind of idea would make some very angry after they have gone through so much to train and hatch pets to get the talents they want.

Your only recourse is to train and hatch your own pets and try to match the skills other have managed to achieve.

Even hinting to remove pets in PvP will create a lot of backlash. Anything that would tear down what PvPers have worked to build will raise a lot of voices against it. Just because you may not like the pets others have worked to train up, doesn't really matter... I would suggest you work on your own pet.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
The mechanic of dodge would not be useless at 20%. It's like saying critical is useless at 20%. In fact pip conversion is useless the ability to dodge is not. The point of dodging and removing pets is to remove the ability to avoid skill. PVP should be sort of like the morganthe fights in khyrsyallis. The point of of PVP is to test your skills, not how well ya put effort in. Pets and content is made for PVE. I don't think king isle considered this when they made the advanced pet system. It also worth to note pvp became bad when pet system came out to prove my point. Dodging makes people hesitate to use low level card, and pet skills. It's a way to reduce the issue.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
Lol, crit at 20% can be useless if it doesn't go off when you need it too; or if it's blocked and you needed a crit. A dodge mechanic just seems like it wouldn't positively affect the game. Think of all the times one gets frustrated when you fizzle or your crit is blocked, and you want to add ANOTHER miss mechanic? All that would lead to is more frustration.

Actually, PVP is about who put in more work. Again, in sports and other competitions, unless it's a raffle (Which is random chance) or a voted contest, skill is what determines the victor and skill isn't just this perfect inborn thing. Even genius' have to keep their skills sharp and learn new ones. Pets are literally just like any other piece of gear on you. Are you saying people shouldn't be allowed to use Jade Gear because it comes from packs and the average player can't afford to farm the packs for the gear?

Which beings be back to my point before. If you banned pets you might as well ban the use of any thing but a standardized gear. People work just as hard to get good outfits/hats/boots/wands/athames/rings/amulets/decks as they do to get a certain pet.Your basically saying all their effort, all the work they put into getting this good gear, should be for naught because it's not 'fair'. And again, how is it fair that people who put in the work don't get to be rewarded?