Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 2-3-17

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 13, 2010
My Idea is that even if you don't have text chat you should still see it. It would make it a lot easier for conversations if you are trying to talk to someone without text chat

Survivor
Jun 24, 2015
XxShadowHunterZxX on Feb 5, 2017 wrote:
Open chat requires 13+/ or parents permission for a younger audience. If you make open chat 18+ and need age verification the younger audience would have barely anything to say. They could make ANOTHER chat for 18+ with either very little restrictions / no restrictions with an age verification. Anyways, just what I think
You're totally right, it should be called something like advanced chat or something similar.

This sounds like a great idea! It would actually attract the older audience, and yes, KI would get a huge benefit out of this.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Blaze03554 on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
There needs to be more options for strategy discussion. It gets VERY aggravating when there can't be legitimate instructions in battle.

The following are some examples of what we need:
  • This Boss cheats
  • This Boss cheats when you place a feint on him/her
  • The Rat will finish us after the 30th round

From personal experience:

The first time I went through Azteca/Xibalba, I was paired up with one wizard that did not have text chat. He kept trying to explain to me that you have to defeat the minions, not Malistaire the Undying. I eventually understood, but it took me a while. So one I would definitely add is:
  • Defeat the Minions, not Malistaire the Undying!!!! (of course we would eventually figure it out, but the point is, I was not able to get specific instruction as I would if he had text chat)

Blaze03554's has some great suggestions.

"Mute" (menu-only chat) players have it bad in the later levels. I've seen people quit from dungeons due to a player being unable to read text chat. In a community-based game, a second-class category of players is not a healthy thing.

Menu chat is especially not sufficient for cheating boss fights. It is extremely difficult to convey even ideas that require only a few words.

To the above list, I'd add:

(Target / Boss) cheats when you heal
(Target / Boss) dispels (a/all) blade(s)
(Target / Boss) steals a blade
(Target / Boss) cheats when weakened
(Target / Boss) cheat hits every (/other/second/third) round
(Target / Boss) cheats when a global is cast

More generally, Wizard101 should support menu chat players reading a very limited syntax when in battle. Selecting from a menu can be time-intensive, and time to manage spell selection and advise your teammates is often in short supply early in a boss fight.

Explorer
Dec 15, 2009
When in battle there should still be an option for all chat. Sure keep the battle chat easy-access, but still have a menu option accessible for all chat.

Allow us to choose and "lock-in" our menu favorites, instead of the being automated by the game based on our use.

There are still some missing menu options. I can't think of them all right now, actually I'm drawing a blank, but get in game and try to converse with a menu chat player and you will see there are things that need to be added.

:)

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
The parents should have more power to set the filters instead of the company.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
LifeyLeafy on Feb 7, 2017 wrote:
You're totally right, it should be called something like advanced chat or something similar.

This sounds like a great idea! It would actually attract the older audience, and yes, KI would get a huge benefit out of this.
There already is an open chat. I think you have to be an adult and have used certain type of payment and also change the settings.

In totally open chat you can say just about anything including numbers.

So they already have this.

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
"They will cheat if you use that"- VERY useful against cheaty bosses!!!!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
LifeyLeafy on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
In my (personal) opinion, I think there should be a change regarding the audience of the game and the chat options.

I recently watched ItsAnthony's video (youtube) "Business!", and it's pretty spot-on. If you watch it you'll see he has a point; the game is too expensive for its audience. 9-13 year olds that want crowns? $10/month memberships? This game is extremely kid-friendly so it's basically directed at them. Either change the price of the crowns and memberships (unlikely to happen) or direct it at an older audience.

In PvP, high ranked players spend a lot of money on Wizard101. This is the older audience. How many times have you bumped into a high ranked PvP player who is 9-13 years old? PvP requires a certain level of reasoning/skill that is very rarely acquired at that age. If you make it more "teen/young adult-friendly" then you might be more successful.

Let's place open chat as an example. It's supposed to be for 18+ yet we still have restrictions. I get that there are children who buy open chat (that are minors), but what if we add an Age Verification process (like in IMVU) where you have to send KingIsle a picture of your ID and your credit card for proof in order to have 100% open chat? That would be a great idea instead of filtering the words. In this case the chat would only be for 18+ audience (as it was meant to be I suppose). Also if this happens, muting people (with open chat) should only happen if there are personal attacks, or direct insults, even though the words aren't filtered per se...

...which brings me to the next quick comment I'd like to make - reports should be taken more seriously, but they should also see why someone's being reported before taking disciplinary action. If someone reports someone else for saying a bad word outloud to insult someone (in open, unfiltered chat) then they should probably either a) temporarily switch their open chat to filtered chat, or b) check first why they were reported before taking action.

Thank you.
I agree with everything except that the method of obtaining open chat is way too privacy invasive. I made a blog post about this but it didn't look like it got accepted so when I'm on a computer I can feature some of it.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
All these people saying that everyone should have text chat, that's a terrible idea. The people who talk around the chat filter cannot be deterred from using foul language. No matter how hard it becomes to say those words, they will always think it's worth the effort to find a workaround for even the most inane of obscenities. A list of pre-approved messages really is the best way to keep the children safe.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
cole spellslinger on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
Some text chatters or open chatters don't even know us menu chatters cant understand them. So I suggest either we can see what they are saying or we have a phrase that says, " Sorry, I don't have text chat, I cant understand you." or something.
Under "Sorry" isn't there a phrase like: "Sorry I only have Menu Chat." ?

Survivor
Aug 19, 2011
I think that there should be a reset option for when the chat box gets stuck and you can't fix it.Hope this is a good enough idea.

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback. We'll keep these suggestions in mind for future updates. A new topic shall be posted shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea