Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Case For Making Elucidate & Simply Trainable.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2010
Hey guys! This is my first post ever so I'm going to drop my idea and then hear your responses so here we go.

As a Wizard101 player I have always been fascinated by many of the cards in this game, But none more than two sun spells that you probably don't recognize: Simplify and Elucidate

I own 2 Elucidate and 1 Simplify treasure cards and I literally treasure them like it's my prized possession ( As one of the rarest TCs it kind of is. )

First off I will explain what Simplify and Elucidate are if you don't know already.

Simplify is a school card that takes off one pip from the spell selected ( Example: Efreet card is 8 pips, Using Simplify on this card will take one pip off and will now require 7 pips to cast the spell. )

Elucidate is a better version of simplify, Like simplify it is a school spell and instead of taking off one pip, this one takes off two pips. ( Example: Storm Lord is 7 pips, Using Elucidate on this card will take two pips off and will now require 5 pips to cast the spell. )

---------------
Now I heard about the reasons why these were removed from training, It was abused in PvP and such, We'll get to that later. But! I was thinking. Why not make Simplify trainable at level 102 and Eludicate at 104? you could get them from Qyburn Stellargaze in the Arcanum. Why i'm making this thread is because of one thing: Mirage. If you've ever been to Mirage, you'd know that the monsters and bosses there are ridiculously hard and require a group of maybe 2 or more wizards ( Getting past the Ghultures was pretty hard enough ) By making Simplify and Elucidate trainable, It would make things a bit more easier for wizards completing Mirage quests.

----------------
Now we get to the part that's pretty much the reason that is keeping Elucidate and Simplify from becoming trainable cards: PvP.

To get past this problem is really simple really: Ban their use in PvP

First off I wanna say that Treasure card versions of this card are available but they are really, really rare and hard to come by in the bazaar. And there is a quest in Celestia and I'm pretty sure it was the Science area? There's a person who if I recall correctly was named " Engineer Montgomery " and if you complete one of his quests he gives you one Simplify and one Elucidate.

Ban treasure card versions of Simplify and Elucidate from PvP , Do the same for the trainable ones you'd get from Stellargaze, Have you ever seen that little symbol under a card, Let's say the Brandon minion cards, If you looked under the picture you would see a symbol of a sword crossed out. This signifies that a card has been banned from PvP usage. If Simplify and Elucidate ( Both the trainable and treasure cards ) were given those symbols then the PvP problem has basically been solved. It's easy really.

So that is why I think Elucidate and Simplify should be brought back ( With a pretty justified reasoning ), The PvP problem solved, and two new cards that can help wizards on their journey to Mirage.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
I'm in full support of this, especially as it would no longer be the immediate option for most players, as they'd have to sacrifice up to 300 damage in order to use it. I definitely love this, and I'd love a whole set of spells themed around pip changes. Like one that costs 3-5 pips and removes 1 pip from a target spell, meaning it adds on the pips that it costs, and removes the ones it says it does. And another that costs 1 pip and removes 3-5 pips from a target spell. I feel as though KI is focusing on the pip element of this game a lot more recently, with Shadow Pips in Khrysalis, and more recently Pip Conversion in Mirage. I'd love these spells to be available.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
i'm probably the only guy who hates the use of treasure cards, besides maybe healing, using anything that you did not gain for yourself is cheating.... i even hate the treasure cards in my inventory that i cant sell, although, i am holding on to the balance Frost Giant "Stone Giant" only for the fact that i never seen it before, and unless the bazaar is packing them, i'm not letting it go

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I have quite a large supply of simplify and elucidate treasure cards, do not really want to see them wind up no pvp. If you want a no pvp trainable spell that is different, or um, you can just learn how to use your spells more efficiently.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I agree, Elucidate is useful and should come back but be banned in pvp so it's not abuse. I think it's a good idea for some other treasure cards to be banned in pvp for the same reason. That way everyone can have a crafted and trainable spell they want without messing up pvp. Problem solved.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Simplify at 120, and Elucidate at 130. In PvP they should enchant only spells ranked 5+ or 7+, respectively; alternatively, some cards could be blacklisted from enchantment.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Dec 23, 2016 wrote:
I agree, Elucidate is useful and should come back but be banned in pvp so it's not abuse. I think it's a good idea for some other treasure cards to be banned in pvp for the same reason. That way everyone can have a crafted and trainable spell they want without messing up pvp. Problem solved.
Banning a trained spell from pvp would be fine, but as the treasure cards are no longer available in game, really no reason to mess with them.

Elucidate and simplify would be useless in pve in my opinion, I see people in mirage standing around with full pips who are still not ready to hit. And they wonder why they are always dying...hmmmmm.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
If you're going to restrict them to PvE only, I wouldn't bother. Usually the limiting factors in PvE are the amount of damage you can do and whether or not you have a shadow pip. Elucidate isn't going to be very helpful when I'm already at full pips from all the time I spent blading up.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2010
Robobot1747 on Dec 24, 2016 wrote:
If you're going to restrict them to PvE only, I wouldn't bother. Usually the limiting factors in PvE are the amount of damage you can do and whether or not you have a shadow pip. Elucidate isn't going to be very helpful when I'm already at full pips from all the time I spent blading up.
The spells were removed because of PvP abuse which is why it should be restricted to PvE only, Allowing it back in PvP will only bring back the problems that came with it years ago.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
the purpose of Elucidate is when you are about to get defeated and you don't have enough pips to cast a spell that can save you. Elucidate saved me several times. I heard player's say "I need a quick spell, I'm about to die". So that spell can be very useful.

Defender
Mar 10, 2014
I agree it would be cool to train them, like simplify at 115 and elucidate at 120. But it would probably be wise make them no pvp.