Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Help

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 13, 2013
Hi i have been playing wiz for a very long time now i think 3 years, i got a lvl 113 storm and his pet is bad. it has may cast fairy may cast infallible may cast life fuel and critical. ive been trying to get a different pet for a very long time but i don't know how to get the talents i want on a pet, yes i know hatching but the hatched pet does not get what i want it to get pls help (btw i want a damage/critical pet)

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
I hear you. I started hatching like a crazy person about 2 years ago to get the ultimate myth pet. I am close, but it takes some understanding of genetics, in a way. You said you know hatching, but just to cover some of the basics, I will start with this statement, which is true but gets overlooked: if you hatch with someone, you really have no idea what abilities their pet has, other than what the pet has manifested as talents. If that pet is just an Adult, then you really only know 2 of them. If that Adult pet is not an original, first-generation pet, then all bets are off as to what abilities the pet has, again, other than what has been manifested. I tend to use the word 'cross' to describe the hatch between two 'parents'. Each cross dilutes the slate of abilities in the offspring resulting from the hatch. If you keep detailed records of your hatches, you can use the process of elimination to have a much better time producing the pet you want. I can go through what I did for my myth, and see if it makes sense to you.

I started with two pets that had abilities which I could see upon hatching, without having to train, are the ones I wanted. Here's an example: I wanted spell-proof in a pet. The sea turtle from the crown shop has but one epic talent (the four-dot talents): spell-proof. If I cross that with a myth pet that already has three epic talents in its slate, then the offspring has to have four epic talents to be GUARANTEED of having spell-proof. I keep track of everything in an Excel spreadsheet. It is a methodical process to really get the pet you want and not waste time, crowns, energy or snacks. Here are some things I've done along the way to this:
- farmed mirror lake over 200 times - the pixie sticks are too powerful to pass on
- I have almost never taken a pet past ancient outside of a double pet XP weekend
- I have almost never taken a pet past ancient period
- I have thrown more pets in the trash without training them than those I have trained