Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells That Need Changing

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Power Play
Quite a while back (8 years ago) many bubbles used to be 4 pips and higher (Wyldfire, Time of Legend, Doom and Gloom, etc.). After KI changed these spells, they reduced every bubble's pip cost by 1 or 2 and made them 2 pip bubbles or in Sanctuary's case a 3 pip bubble. However, the only one that did not get changed is Power Play and it remains just as useless as it was before.
Power Play offers no defensive or offensive value and is considered a very poor move to make in both PvP and PvE and it's much better for Balance to just give up when it comes to bubble control unless using a Fire/Ice mastery amulet (in which Balefrost or Wyldfire are offered). The spell hurts the Balance wizard's team when going second and is absolutely terrible to use in team play since the bubble can be changed.
At the moment, low level Balance wizards struggle to fight for bubble control and I believe the most useless bubble in the game should be lowered down to 2 pips as the other global spells were 8 years ago. This puts the bubble at a "neutral" where neither side benefits and other wizards may opt to fight for their damage bubble or accept Power Play as a chance to increase pips.
Catch of The Day
Back when this spell was released in Test Realm, where it had its remove ALL blades effect, I thought Storm would finally be getting something good. However, KI removed the remove all blades effect and replaced it with remove 2 charms. After doing so, they didn't compensate for the spell's nerf and only increased the damage cap of the spell by 10.
At the moment, Storm's 5 pip spell deals 115 dpp, while Catalan offers 140 dpp and also has an aftereffect. Stormzilla deals on average 138 dpp. Even Storm's Kraken at 4 pips (it is a general rule that spells that cost more pips deal higher damage per pip as well) deals 138 dpp. COTD is below Storm's average dpp and is dropped by a boss.
Burning Rampage, a spell that came out in the same update and dropped by the same method, deals 140 dpp. Did KI mix up Storm and Fire spells or something? Not sure when a 25 dpp difference between Storm and Fire spells was supposed to be considered balanced.
Since dropped spells deal significantly more damage than trained spells and offer aftereffects with them (look at Loremaster, Luminous Weaver, Brimstone Revenant, Lord of Night) then COTD should deal more damage than it currently does while keeping its aftereffect. For those of you in the past who have argued that Burning Rampage is justifiably overpowered because it's dropped by a high level world boss, COTD is dropped by unquestionably the hardest dungeon in the game and requires level 100 to access.
I have more spells to mention but I am running out of room and these two seem to be the main spells I want to highlight in this post as they're both considered useless and severely underpowered. I will be posting more spells in a future post and would appreciate feedback.
Note: I'm not asking about nerfs, that's for another thread.

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
PvP King on Dec 12, 2016 wrote:
Power Play
Quite a while back (8 years ago) many bubbles used to be 4 pips and higher (Wyldfire, Time of Legend, Doom and Gloom, etc.). After KI changed these spells, they reduced every bubble's pip cost by 1 or 2 and made them 2 pip bubbles or in Sanctuary's case a 3 pip bubble. However, the only one that did not get changed is Power Play and it remains just as useless as it was before.
Power Play offers no defensive or offensive value and is considered a very poor move to make in both PvP and PvE and it's much better for Balance to just give up when it comes to bubble control unless using a Fire/Ice mastery amulet (in which Balefrost or Wyldfire are offered). The spell hurts the Balance wizard's team when going second and is absolutely terrible to use in team play since the bubble can be changed.
At the moment, low level Balance wizards struggle to fight for bubble control and I believe the most useless bubble in the game should be lowered down to 2 pips as the other global spells were 8 years ago. This puts the bubble at a "neutral" where neither side benefits and other wizards may opt to fight for their damage bubble or accept Power Play as a chance to increase pips.
Catch of The Day
Back when this spell was released in Test Realm, where it had its remove ALL blades effect, I thought Storm would finally be getting something good. However, KI removed the remove all blades effect and replaced it with remove 2 charms. After doing so, they didn't compensate for the spell's nerf and only increased the damage cap of the spell by 10.
At the moment, Storm's 5 pip spell deals 115 dpp, while Catalan offers 140 dpp and also has an aftereffect. Stormzilla deals on average 138 dpp. Even Storm's Kraken at 4 pips (it is a general rule that spells that cost more pips deal higher damage per pip as well) deals 138 dpp. COTD is below Storm's average dpp and is dropped by a boss.
Burning Rampage, a spell that came out in the same update and dropped by the same method, deals 140 dpp. Did KI mix up Storm and Fire spells or something? Not sure when a 25 dpp difference between Storm and Fire spells was supposed to be considered balanced.
Since dropped spells deal significantly more damage than trained spells and offer aftereffects with them (look at Loremaster, Luminous Weaver, Brimstone Revenant, Lord of Night) then COTD should deal more damage than it currently does while keeping its aftereffect. For those of you in the past who have argued that Burning Rampage is justifiably overpowered because it's dropped by a high level world boss, COTD is dropped by unquestionably the hardest dungeon in the game and requires level 100 to access.
I have more spells to mention but I am running out of room and these two seem to be the main spells I want to highlight in this post as they're both considered useless and severely underpowered. I will be posting more spells in a future post and would appreciate feedback.
Pfft i thought you gave up on wiz cause you didn't like how pvp was going. Not antagonizing just wondering.

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Power Play
Catch of The Day
But anyway since i'm here i'll leave my 2 cents on the matter, powerplay is fine the way it is due to balance insane amount of utility spells which is fine since they are the balance school and they have to be represented by something which is utility. Powerplay is meant to be a mid level team spell, not all spells are supposed to always be in the meta somethings shift out like gear.

If powerplay was to be changed just for meta, it would be a power grab which isn't anything we need right now.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
DarkAce88 on Dec 15, 2016 wrote:
Pfft i thought you gave up on wiz cause you didn't like how pvp was going. Not antagonizing just wondering.
Although I am no longer playing I may as well use what's left of my time to be able to post on the message boards until it's over.

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
PvP King on Dec 16, 2016 wrote:
Although I am no longer playing I may as well use what's left of my time to be able to post on the message boards until it's over.
You bought a yearly membership then stopped playing over a pvp whim?....Smh(shaking my head)....Well since you're here, feel free to elaborate on any other spell changes you think need to be made.

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Power Play
Catch of The Day
Catch of the day does not require level 100 to access. You get it from the wooden skeleton key boss Takanobu the Masterless in the Cave of Solitude, Mooshu.
The level 100 dungeon, Darkmoors gold key boss Aphrodite II drops Sacred charge, a life spell.

Survivor
Oct 18, 2015
Loremaster and burning rampage are first spells that need a change...

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
DarkAce88 on Dec 16, 2016 wrote:
But anyway since i'm here i'll leave my 2 cents on the matter, powerplay is fine the way it is due to balance insane amount of utility spells which is fine since they are the balance school and they have to be represented by something which is utility. Powerplay is meant to be a mid level team spell, not all spells are supposed to always be in the meta somethings shift out like gear.

If powerplay was to be changed just for meta, it would be a power grab which isn't anything we need right now.
If Power Play is meant to be a mid level team spell, then it simply does not live up to its function since it sees absolutely no use in team play. Keeping any other bubble up is a much more efficient and better move.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Leicrex on Dec 16, 2016 wrote:
Catch of the day does not require level 100 to access. You get it from the wooden skeleton key boss Takanobu the Masterless in the Cave of Solitude, Mooshu.
The level 100 dungeon, Darkmoors gold key boss Aphrodite II drops Sacred charge, a life spell.
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. Goes to show how unnecessary these spells are to Life and Storm wizards then.

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
PvP King on Dec 17, 2016 wrote:
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. Goes to show how unnecessary these spells are to Life and Storm wizards then.
Well Catch of the Day is decent to use from a pvp aspect for storm. My storm wizard(Magus tier) uses it all the time when i need to remove blades but still wanna do damage. I'm not complaining. a damage increase or remove all blades would be nice though.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Leicrex on Dec 17, 2016 wrote:
Well Catch of the Day is decent to use from a pvp aspect for storm. My storm wizard(Magus tier) uses it all the time when i need to remove blades but still wanna do damage. I'm not complaining. a damage increase or remove all blades would be nice though.
Catch of The Day is still severely underpowered for what a Storm spell offers. It deals an average of 115 damage per pip which is around the same as spells like Loremaster and Brimstone Revenant. Another spell that removes 2 charms is Leviathan deals significantly more dpp than Catch of The Day does, sitting at 129. A 14 dpp deficiency might not seem like a lot, but for Catch of The Day to be in line with Storm's dpp trend, that means it's 70 damage lower than what it should be. To add, dropped spells are meant to do far more damage than normal spells do (look at Loremaster, Brimstone Revenant, Luminous Weaver, Deer Knight, Savage Paw, Burning Rampage, Winter Moon, etc.) regardless of having an aftereffect and Catch obviously doesn't follow that trend.

The spell might seem worthwhile to use in a situation where you need to remove 2 blades from your opponent, but it still is severely underpowered for a Storm spell; a school that's struggling heavily at all levels at the moment.