Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Icons

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
(Somewhat) Recently new icons for spell effects were added, probably to shorten spell descriptions; but they haven't been applied to all spells. I was just looking at Stun vs Freeze and found the only difference (other than school) was that Freeze used an icon for 'Stun' and 'Round', and Stun didn't. Also, I think Melt is the only dispel currently using the dispel icon. I just think someone at KI could go over the spells, at least some of them, and check that the descriptions make as much sense, and are as brief, as possible. I remember certain variants of Fire Elf having a glitch with the attack (I think the Christmas Elf IC and the Diego tutorial version just starting with '+y' rather than 'x+y'). Just a quick look at the spell cards in game is all.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
I don't know why KI is changing the 'text' on the Spells to Icons, but some of them do not work well at all.

See one example for the Spell: Tower Shield.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Spell:Tower_Shield#axzz4QmPrR2Ne

The new Icon for "Damage or Steal" is almost impossible to understand. I had to go back and look at the history to figure out what this new Icon meant.

And replacing the word "Stun" on the Spells and inserting the Icon is hard to read also.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Spell:Freeze#axzz4QmPrR2Ne

The Icons are too small to see them and understand what they mean. The newcomers probably have no idea what the Icons mean.

Please consider going back to using "Text" on the Spell Cards. And stop making new Icons so complicated and hard to understand (like the Damage or Steal Icon).

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
I think the biggest issue is spells with side effects, look at every King Artorius spell. Without icons, they simply couldn't fit it in the description box. Granted, Tower Shield could be clearer, but after I learnt a few symbols, like the stun one, or the AoE one, etc., I wasn't at all confused by most spells. I could figure out through context what most of them meant if I was confused.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I agree that it is very difficult to understand a lot of the symbols. Is there a section in game that details what all these symbols mean? I will admit that the Tower Shield is a problem and also the Tri-School symbols ( is a circle or in a circle,) it's hard to tell which is which especially on a small screen. I personally do not like all the new symbols and also am in the situation that I wouldn't know what it did if it wasn't for my "years of experience." I understand why they put the symbols, I just personally don't care for them that much. However, again is there a place that describes each of the symbols? Like in the Spellbook or something? There it should be if not....

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
exp613 on Nov 24, 2016 wrote:
I agree that it is very difficult to understand a lot of the symbols. Is there a section in game that details what all these symbols mean? I will admit that the Tower Shield is a problem and also the Tri-School symbols ( is a circle or in a circle,) it's hard to tell which is which especially on a small screen. I personally do not like all the new symbols and also am in the situation that I wouldn't know what it did if it wasn't for my "years of experience." I understand why they put the symbols, I just personally don't care for them that much. However, again is there a place that describes each of the symbols? Like in the Spellbook or something? There it should be if not....
Actually, there is a section like that, in help, related to decks, I think. I sometimes scroll through it if I'm confused as to what a symbol means (not too often as I've learnt what essentially every card does). I'm also not much of a fan of the symbols, but I see it this way:

There are spells, like King Art. or Sirens, where they do so many things, that symbols are needed. So symbols should be made for such effects on such spells. But when those symbols are introduced, all other spells performing the same effects should use those symbols. Symbols for effects that only happen on spells with enough space to write out in full shouldn't be in the game, as they only serve to confuse more.