Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Date of Birth

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 31, 2009
First off, I'd like to say I've spent about 60 minutes looking into other threads about this topic.

Okay, so I created my account back in July of 2009, over seven years ago. I've grown seven years older in those seven years (since everyone has a birthday each year), but KI doesn't want to recognize that fact as far as my account goes, for some reason. I am over 18 years of age at this point in time, but do not have the option to enable Open Chat. Why does my age not update yearly? It's not like I have not aged in those seven years. All that I'm saying is that KI should have my age update every year, so that now that I am over 18 I can enable the features for my age.

I have not contacted the KI support, because every other thread I read had no progress in reports.

-Patrick Ravenblood,

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Patrick Ravenblood on Nov 21, 2016 wrote:
First off, I'd like to say I've spent about 60 minutes looking into other threads about this topic.

Okay, so I created my account back in July of 2009, over seven years ago. I've grown seven years older in those seven years (since everyone has a birthday each year), but KI doesn't want to recognize that fact as far as my account goes, for some reason. I am over 18 years of age at this point in time, but do not have the option to enable Open Chat. Why does my age not update yearly? It's not like I have not aged in those seven years. All that I'm saying is that KI should have my age update every year, so that now that I am over 18 I can enable the features for my age.

I have not contacted the KI support, because every other thread I read had no progress in reports.

-Patrick Ravenblood,
So login to the website (not the game the wizard101.com website) and go to My Accounts

Once there, click on Parental Controls

Then Login the Master Password. This will allow options to show. Then check the mark for Open Text.

If it doesn't let you there is a little ? you can hover your mouse over. ( You need a membership and a previous Credit Card purchase.)

If that doesn't work then there is a link at the top of the page that says contact KI support. If it really isn't working I still recommend sending them a ticket. I think they just get busy especially where they are trying to work on releasing Mirage. (Also check junk folders etc.) It also matters what you put your birthday as originally. as that is the date they go off of. I'm not sure where that information is displayed. Hopefully that helps! Good luck!

Champion
Feb 06, 2010

-Patrick Ravenblood,
This is nothing but a safety matter. And not everyone wants open chat, regardless of their age.

If anything we should thank KI, for not changing our settings from underneath us.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
i'm actualy having this exact same issue... i started paying on April 12 2009, i was 12 years old, game came out in sept 2008... so i even played before dragonspyre was released, and while KingIsles has the coding bug that made it get picked up as a virus...which made me quit for 3 years... and made my new account at age 14.... 2012.... i'm now 18 in 2016... with open chat on my new account.... and got text chat on my old one.... so it has counted me hitting 13..... i contacted KI, and got told that my account has no age in the database..... it says when it was made.......2009.... and i have text chat... a 13 year old require.... so 2010....2016....18....... so i'm sorta in the same boat as you.....

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009

-Patrick Ravenblood,
You and I are in the same boat.

A few months ago, I tried contacting KI customer support and I was told that because I registered when I was 13 years of age or younger at the time, due to an age-protection law I could never have open chat for W101. If you also registered and put your age as 13 or younger, KI did not "store" that age out of that child age-protection law and therefore does not know your birthyear. Since you cannot change the year for security reasons, KI therefore would never have known that you have "aged".

You can read about the COPPA law here: (I think this is the correct one)
(NOTE: I'm sorry, but outside links are not allowed per the Rules - Dworgyn)

I think there should definitely be a way to prove your age, because I'm extremely disappointed in this policy. I know that the law exists for safety reasons, but there definitely should be a way to prove your age once you are 18 years old, be it with ID or something else.

I would try contacting customer support and seeing if your case is different than mine. Good luck!

CH

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
I've heard of people saying if you registered your account under age 13 KI lost all records so its impossible to gain Open Chat. (I Doubt this is true).
If your 100% sure your age on the account is over 18, does KI have you current billing information? Without some form of credit card purchase you can't get open chat (Basically proves your 18).

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Cass MoonHeart on Nov 22, 2016 wrote:
I've heard of people saying if you registered your account under age 13 KI lost all records so its impossible to gain Open Chat. (I Doubt this is true).
If your 100% sure your age on the account is over 18, does KI have you current billing information? Without some form of credit card purchase you can't get open chat (Basically proves your 18).
KI does not and never has tracked an account holders age and has nothing to do with being under 13.

You might do as Dworgyn mentioned in this post earlier this month.

Nov 07, 2016

Re: About Open Chat
Hi. Please contact Customer Support for more information about your accounts eligibility for Open Chat:

Email: support@wizard101.com
Web: https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
The Firehawk on Nov 22, 2016 wrote:
You and I are in the same boat.

A few months ago, I tried contacting KI customer support and I was told that because I registered when I was 13 years of age or younger at the time, due to an age-protection law I could never have open chat for W101. If you also registered and put your age as 13 or younger, KI did not "store" that age out of that child age-protection law and therefore does not know your birthyear. Since you cannot change the year for security reasons, KI therefore would never have known that you have "aged".

You can read about the COPPA law here: (I think this is the correct one)
(NOTE: I'm sorry, but outside links are not allowed per the Rules - Dworgyn)

I think there should definitely be a way to prove your age, because I'm extremely disappointed in this policy. I know that the law exists for safety reasons, but there definitely should be a way to prove your age once you are 18 years old, be it with ID or something else.

I would try contacting customer support and seeing if your case is different than mine. Good luck!

CH
same with my situation with my first account

Survivor
Jul 31, 2009
Cass MoonHeart on Nov 22, 2016 wrote:
Yes, I have my credit card registered to my account

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
Just as an update, I contacted Customer Support again to clarify some information. Here's what I found out:

In my case, I will never be able to get open chat because I made the account (and entered my proper birthdate) when I was under 13 years of age. According to COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act), a service cannot store your date of birth if you are under 13. Therefore, KI will never know how old you are and when you turn 18+, even with a valid credit card and membership.

I asked support to see if there was any way of proving my age (including ID) so that I could at least petition for open chat, yet I was told that since age is a "field that cannot be edited", there is absolutely no way to change/add a date of birth in order for KI to "allow access" to open chat on that account.

For anyone who doesn't have open chat but is of the proper age, I would highly recommend contacting support to see if your case is the same as mine. As disappointing as this is, there seems to be no way of changing the outcome because of COPPA. I wish you all good luck.

CH