Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 08, 2013
Why KingsIsle. Why do you have the ban on numbers? Nobody really even like the ban. You have to wait until you're 18 to be able to say it. Please at least explain to me why you have the ban.

Justin Shadowblade
Lvl 94

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
why are numbers restricted, me and my online pals chat and discuss like how much mana left in battle or how much pips it requires or cost to buy something. It's hard to communicate without numbers and how are we supposed to tell when our birthdays are!

Also can the dictionary accept Australian English too, it's in the American setting and so text chat doesn't like colour, referring, to name a few.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
KingsIsle wants to be better safe than sorry which I agree with, little kids don't always understand that you can't trust anyone on the internet no matter what they are told.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Hefiron on Oct 30, 2016 wrote:
why are numbers restricted, me and my online pals chat and discuss like how much mana left in battle or how much pips it requires or cost to buy something. It's hard to communicate without numbers and how are we supposed to tell when our birthdays are!

Also can the dictionary accept Australian English too, it's in the American setting and so text chat doesn't like colour, referring, to name a few.
Numbers are restricted for a number of reasons. It's to try and prevent kids from sharing their age, phone number, address, and things of that nature with strangers.

However everybody with text chat can work around them, so all it really does is makes it take a little longer to share if people really want to do it.

As for the differences in spellings, being Canadian I know what you're talking about. It's probably simple enough to add the "foreign" spellings to the list of acceptable words like colour, favour, neighbour, and so on. It's not like the way we spell those words makes them offensive.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Isn't it obvious?

KI doesn't want kids to give away their age online because it's a potential danger. It's the same reason why you can't say numbers like "five" or "thirty" either. Just use the menu chat options to share your health/mana/level. And you do not need to be sharing your birthday online.

Also, isn't it rather presumptuous to say NOBODY likes the ban? I value it because it proves KI is committed to safety. They're a family game.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Hefiron on Oct 30, 2016 wrote:

Numbers are restricted to prevent personal info such as, birth dates, addresses, email addresses, game login info, and phone numbers from being exchanged in the game.

There are a number to things in your personal info that requires numbers and this is one of those ways KI has taken steps to protect their players.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Wizard101 is designed as a game for children around ten years old to play. Numbers can be used in open chat, but anyone without this activated will not be able to see or use numbers by design. This is to prevent phone numbers, street addresses, or other real life information from being shared by vulnerable minors.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I'm not KI (obvs), but not everyone who asks someone for their phone # or address (or age) has good intentions. That could be one possible reason (in case KI didn't want to reply outright.)

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
Defender
Nov 05, 2010
well considering people have gotten around the number filters (me being one of them) i see no harm in unblocking numbers

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
jordan night blood on Oct 31, 2016 wrote:
well considering people have gotten around the number filters (me being one of them) i see no harm in unblocking numbers
That isn't something KI is going to do. If they open things like this up, they lose their RATING as a game for EVERYONE 10 and up.

Numbers are an integral part of all personal info. KI is just making sure that even those with Text Chat can't give out any info even by accident. If some one with open chat gives out any kind of personal info. That account is going to be muted.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
You will never fully be able to get around the number filter nor any other part of the filter. There is a reason people get muted for avoiding the filter so I would suggest not taking the risk. Also, the filter is put there for a reason and disrespecting it in unneeded times disrespects KingsIsle's efforts into making this game kid safe and kid friendly. There are reason's the commons is a pain in the rear end.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2013
Why can't they just ban words like "years","old" "birthday" "age" ya know stuff like that?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Krampus555524 on Nov 3, 2016 wrote:
Why can't they just ban words like "years","old" "birthday" "age" ya know stuff like that?
Because it's not those words that are vital information, it's the numbers. Numbers can also give more information than just age or birthdate. They can also be phone numbers, addresses, email, credit card info... It's really not necessary. If you have open chat you can use numbers, it's that simple. It allows adults to use and see them but limits them from people underage to protect them from giving out information they might not realize is dangerous.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Also there is a bit of a difference between a 16 year old using "I am level twin ty tree" and allowing a 8 year old access to "I am 8." I mean not saying that an 8 year old can't figure it out, but I think that it still helps keep the age appropriateness to some degree. Also I'm glad that it's 18+ because there are 14 year old kids that watch too many bad movies and I don't as an "older player" want to have to see the language. (Hence why I play Wizard101 instead of some other MMORPG). Just my thoughts