Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm needs a DOT

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 05, 2009
I'll get straight to the point. In level 100+ 1v1 pvp, Storm is by far the worst school and has been ever since Darkmoor. Storm is no longer the only school that can do massive damage in a single hit without buffs and currently they only have one combo which is storm lord into hit, easily countered by a single stun block. Storm is also the only school without a DOT or double hit and has arguably the worst Loremaster spell because the -25% accuracy is pretty lackluster with the high accuracy provided by Darkmoor gear. Because they have no DOTS or double hits, shields are always a huge threat to any Storm spell and its almost impossible to win from second without shrike and even then, with spells like Efreet, Abominable Weaver, and dispels, it's always a risk to hit from second. A DOT would change that entirely. Storm would be able to clear set shields without spending many turns or pips for shatter, and if it was a large damage DOT, they wouldn't be able to be as easily be shut down by shields from first as they are now. Storm would also have more room for outplay as opposed to lord combo only or spell spamming into shields to remove them. Storm as the school is now does not have the tools to compete with schools like Balance, Fire, and Ice. I believe a TRAINABLE DOT would massively help the school and help to balance out the current state of pvp.

tl;dr Storm needs a DOT, they're the only school without a DOT or double hit. Shields are too good against storm, Storm has no utility spells for pvp or reliable heals, Storm has no good debuffing attacks. A DOT would give them more room for outplay and more potential.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
jacob goldwraith on Oct 27, 2016 wrote:
I'll get straight to the point. In level 100+ 1v1 pvp, Storm is by far the worst school and has been ever since Darkmoor. Storm is no longer the only school that can do massive damage in a single hit without buffs and currently they only have one combo which is storm lord into hit, easily countered by a single stun block. Storm is also the only school without a DOT or double hit and has arguably the worst Loremaster spell because the -25% accuracy is pretty lackluster with the high accuracy provided by Darkmoor gear. Because they have no DOTS or double hits, shields are always a huge threat to any Storm spell and its almost impossible to win from second without shrike and even then, with spells like Efreet, Abominable Weaver, and dispels, it's always a risk to hit from second. A DOT would change that entirely. Storm would be able to clear set shields without spending many turns or pips for shatter, and if it was a large damage DOT, they wouldn't be able to be as easily be shut down by shields from first as they are now. Storm would also have more room for outplay as opposed to lord combo only or spell spamming into shields to remove them. Storm as the school is now does not have the tools to compete with schools like Balance, Fire, and Ice. I believe a TRAINABLE DOT would massively help the school and help to balance out the current state of pvp.

tl;dr Storm needs a DOT, they're the only school without a DOT or double hit. Shields are too good against storm, Storm has no utility spells for pvp or reliable heals, Storm has no good debuffing attacks. A DOT would give them more room for outplay and more potential.
Pierce was made for a reason; swap Colossal/Epic for Unstoppable or use Infallible/Shrike. Deck out your gear with high-level pierce amethysts, breed/get a pet with a pierce talent. Stock up on Pierce/Steal Ward (maybe even Aftershock) TCs; an awful lot of plants/bosses give them and I find there's usually enough in the Bazaar. Storm's selling point is risk, low health/accuracy, immense one-hit damage. The point of Storm is to pack a heavy punch, not linger. That's Fire's selling point: and I think they sold it pretty well. Use a prism if it's Storm Shields that are ailing you. I'd also like to point out that the only Balance multi-hits are out of school and if someone uses a single Weakness then we can't remove that without wasting our blades/traps or using a Cleanse Charm TC. Which, by the way, you guys get to learn; and pierce doesn't work on charms so you have it the easiest with that side of things.

Each school has its ups and downs: that you signed up for when you made that wizard. If you're truly desperate then put 2 training points into Fire and grab a couple mutate TCs. Or, idk, get the Storm Elf pet that was essentially made just for this reason.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I absolutely 100% agree. Storm is currently is the worst 1v1 school at pretty much all level ranges. A properly designed DoT would do wonders to help it out. None of the old excuses for why Storm can't have a DoT apply anymore. All schools have amazing damage and Fire has even started getting more damage boost on gear than Storm. Critical is a triple nerfed factor that is now mostly irrelevant in the arena for anything except heals. There is no reason why Storm should not be able to have a DoT and I eagerly await the arguments from the anti-storm factions present on these message boards.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Blaze Sandblade on Oct 27, 2016 wrote:
Pierce was made for a reason; swap Colossal/Epic for Unstoppable or use Infallible/Shrike. Deck out your gear with high-level pierce amethysts, breed/get a pet with a pierce talent. Stock up on Pierce/Steal Ward (maybe even Aftershock) TCs; an awful lot of plants/bosses give them and I find there's usually enough in the Bazaar. Storm's selling point is risk, low health/accuracy, immense one-hit damage. The point of Storm is to pack a heavy punch, not linger. That's Fire's selling point: and I think they sold it pretty well. Use a prism if it's Storm Shields that are ailing you. I'd also like to point out that the only Balance multi-hits are out of school and if someone uses a single Weakness then we can't remove that without wasting our blades/traps or using a Cleanse Charm TC. Which, by the way, you guys get to learn; and pierce doesn't work on charms so you have it the easiest with that side of things.

Each school has its ups and downs: that you signed up for when you made that wizard. If you're truly desperate then put 2 training points into Fire and grab a couple mutate TCs. Or, idk, get the Storm Elf pet that was essentially made just for this reason.
None of those solutions apply in a PvP scenario:

-Swapping Pierce enchants for damage enchants lowers our damage and allows us to simply pierce through the shield(leaving the opponent's full resist intact).

-Pierce does not remove the storm shield in every major configuration except elemental shield.

-Infallible opens us up to supernova which is devastating with our pitiful health and is commonly seen as balance is one of the 3 current top tier schools.

-Fire's selling point is DoT's yet they have several heavy hitting spike Damage trained spells such as Efreet, King Artorious, Fire From Above, Sun Serpent. Compare this to Storm which has no trained DoT. How is that equitable?

-Prism's are a waste of time this meta especially from second. The Storm Elf pet offers a single unenchantable DoT and the Storm Elf mutate TCs are laughably rare.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 27, 2016 wrote:
None of those solutions apply in a PvP scenario:

-Swapping Pierce enchants for damage enchants lowers our damage and allows us to simply pierce through the shield(leaving the opponent's full resist intact).

-Pierce does not remove the storm shield in every major configuration except elemental shield.

-Infallible opens us up to supernova which is devastating with our pitiful health and is commonly seen as balance is one of the 3 current top tier schools.

-Fire's selling point is DoT's yet they have several heavy hitting spike Damage trained spells such as Efreet, King Artorious, Fire From Above, Sun Serpent. Compare this to Storm which has no trained DoT. How is that equitable?

-Prism's are a waste of time this meta especially from second. The Storm Elf pet offers a single unenchantable DoT and the Storm Elf mutate TCs are laughably rare.
I don't PvP at all, so maybe those were legitimate reasons, but I'm not entirely sure.

Granted Unstoppable/Extraordinary aren't the best options, because damage is very key, particularly in a Storm build; because you guys definitely don't have spells with base damage higher than enchanted other school spells. Shade aside, I can understand this one, so fair enough.

Then spam it, or use Shatter, or, as I suggested, Aftershock/Earthquake.

I've never seen Supernova in action, but from what I see on its wiki page: it deals more than double the appropriate damage to pip ratio, but has pitiful accuracy. 60% is hardly threatening. And on the health point, especially with Polaris, a lot more health has been appearing on gear. But I'm likely talking from inexperience here. But even so, use the aura the turn before you attack, or just don't use it against Balance.

Fire has heavy-hitting single attacks... So? Fire is meant to be the 2nd strongest school in-game; it needs those to keep its reputation. If we look at the 3rd strongest school (Myth), then we see they also have hits like Medusa (almost Judgement damage with a 2-turn stun) and Celestial Calendar (much more than Judgement with a pip steal). Giving Fire single hits is making it an ordinary school, their damage is a side effect.

I'm not sure how prisms are a waste of time, if you prism on a wall of Storm Shields then that renders them useless, giving you more than the upper hand; and your enemy at most only one turn to react. Not sure what meta means in context, and if you can't find mutate TCs: farm for them! If you want to win at PvP then you have to put effort in.

My point about the game's balance is this. Life doesn't have a low-level AoE, Myth and Ice don't have heals, Balance doesn't have prisms, Storm and Balance don't have DoTs. There's things in this game that make sure you want to try out other classes or to find ways around disadvantages. I think Mutate Elf should be learnable, but a Storm DoT would be OP.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Squire
Oct 29, 2011
camahawk on Oct 27, 2016 wrote:
Storm Elf!!!! 2pip dot storm card
Storm needs a spell that comes from the school teacher or is actually meant for higher levels.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I don't PvP at all, so maybe those were legitimate reasons, but I'm not entirely sure.

Granted Unstoppable/Extraordinary aren't the best options, because damage is very key, particularly in a Storm build; because you guys definitely don't have spells with base damage higher than enchanted other school spells. Shade aside, I can understand this one, so fair enough.

I've never seen Supernova in action, but from what I see on its wiki page: it deals more than double the appropriate damage to pip ratio, but has pitiful accuracy. 60% is hardly threatening. And on the health point, especially with Polaris, a lot more health has been appearing on gear. But I'm likely talking from inexperience here. But even so, use the aura the turn before you attack, or just don't use it against Balance.

Fire has heavy-hitting single attacks... So? Fire is meant to be the 2nd strongest school in-game; it needs those to keep its reputation. If we look at the 3rd strongest school (Myth), then we see they also have hits like Medusa (almost Judgement damage with a 2-turn stun) and Celestial Calendar (much more than Judgement with a pip steal). Giving Fire single hits is making it an ordinary school, their damage is a side effect.

I'm not sure how prisms are a waste of time, if you prism on a wall of Storm Shields then that renders them useless, giving you more than the upper hand; and your enemy at most only one turn to react. Not sure what meta means in context, and if you can't find mutate TCs: farm for them! If you want to win at PvP then you have to put effort in.

My point about the game's balance is this. Life doesn't have a low-level AoE, Myth and Ice don't have heals, Balance doesn't have prisms, Storm and Balance don't have DoTs. There's things in this game that make sure you want to try out other classes or to find ways around disadvantages. I think Mutate Elf should be learnable, but a Storm DoT would be OP.
The fact that you don't PvP is actually crucial to this debate. It is very hard for someone who PvE's only to understand how Storm can be a low tier school particularly since KI has made the premiere way to kill a mob or boss an OHKO(Storm's specialty). As such I encourage you to take your max level Storm into Ranked 1v1 PvP to see what the OP, myself and countless other storms are talking about.

If you have neither the desire or the capability to PvP then I suggest doing some research. Here is a tier list compiled by Duelist 101's Charles Darkkflower(the premiere w101 PvP site) for each level range. Note which school is bottom tier at almost every lvl range. I also invite you to organize W101's leaderboard by school ad see which school is least represented on there.

Spamming Pierce to attempt to eliminate shields leaves you wide open. Shatter costs effectively 6 pips and earthquake and aftershock even more.

Supernova may only be 60% accuracy however with the advent of DM gear and jewels many Balances are carrying 30%+ accuracy making supernova reliable. Furthermore, experienced PvP players already don't regularly use star magic against balance which is of great benefit to that school since they denied their opponents access to an entire side school. Storm with the advent of Polaris gained almost nothing in terms of health. Whereas most schools are standing at 6k+ health, Storm is standing at 4.5k.

As to Fire having heavy hitting single damage hits(Storm's specialty): I agree with you that there is no problem with that even though that is Storm's specialty. However, when Storm asks for a DoT (which is Fire's specialty) for some reason we are denied this. So Fire can have spells within Storm's specialty but Storms are being told they cannot have spells within Fire's specialty.

To Be Continued.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009

Continued from last post

As for why prisms are a waste of time. Opponents do not simply spam storm shields wily nilly. They use a shield and then wait till it is overlaid or broken to use another shield. Using a convert simply leads an opponent to shield around the convert and then once you hit the shielded attack and use your convert the Storm is still left facing a shield. Furthermore using a prism in this meta is a round when you are not attacking, defending or healing which is very often fatal especially with Storm's health.

Meta refers to the predominant strategies and styles of play present in the arena. Today's meta is all about driving an offense while defending in between. Combo spells such as FFA and spells that attack and defend simultaneously such as Abominable Weaver are the defining cards of the current meta.

As for farming for Storm Elf TCs. I don't think you understand quite how rare these TCs are. I did a video(seen here) where I completely cleared out a dungeon where Storm Elf TC drop from. I cleared out Every. Single. Mob. And. Boss. there and earned a grand total of 0 Storm Elf TC.

Life doesn't have a low level AoE but it has 2 High Level AoEs. Myth and Ice don't have direct heals but they do have sacrificial minion heals. Balance doesn't have prisms but they also don't have to worry about specific shields. I am not asking for a low level DoT but simply to have the option of a DoT. Other school's having DoTs does not prevent people from trying other schools why would a Storm DoT magically do this? In fact, Fire is the most populous school according to Wizard 101's 50 million player graphic(seen here).

Finally, can you explain to me how Storm having a DoT would be OP particularly as you do not partake in PvP?

Delver
Jan 17, 2013

Before I say what I want to say, I want to comment that I fully agree that Storm is the worst school to do 1v1 100+ PVP. I have a Prodigious Storm, so I know the struggles of doing PVP against other schools that seem to have way more utility and DOTS to use against me.

However, I would have to disagree to your idea of Storm being given a trainable damage over time attack. While I would absolutely love the idea of Storm being given one, it would just make Storm too similar to the other schools. There is already a thread of schools not being so unique anymore at max level, and giving Storm a trainable damage over time spell would just only support that claim.

I agree that something should be done to help out Storm in max level 1v1 PVP, but I do not think it should be DOTS. I don't know any other way to help out Storm in the current meta, but hopefully there is something that helps them out with the upcoming Mirage update. Kingsisle seems to be listening to feedback more often now, so hopefully they have something up their sleeve.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
FusionSun on Oct 28, 2016 wrote:
Before I say what I want to say, I want to comment that I fully agree that Storm is the worst school to do 1v1 100+ PVP. I have a Prodigious Storm, so I know the struggles of doing PVP against other schools that seem to have way more utility and DOTS to use against me.

However, I would have to disagree to your idea of Storm being given a trainable damage over time attack. While I would absolutely love the idea of Storm being given one, it would just make Storm too similar to the other schools. There is already a thread of schools not being so unique anymore at max level, and giving Storm a trainable damage over time spell would just only support that claim.

I agree that something should be done to help out Storm in max level 1v1 PVP, but I do not think it should be DOTS. I don't know any other way to help out Storm in the current meta, but hopefully there is something that helps them out with the upcoming Mirage update. Kingsisle seems to be listening to feedback more often now, so hopefully they have something up their sleeve.
I can definitely appreciate the uniqueness argument but don't think giving it a DoT makes it less unique. Death is still a much different school than Fire despite having 3 trained DoTs etc.

That being said if Storm can be made competitive without the use of a DoT then I am all for it. However, in lieu of actual tangible alternatives to DoTs that can improve Storm's competitive edge I am fully in support of a Storm DoT.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 28, 2016 wrote:
The fact that you don't PvP is actually crucial to this debate. It is very hard for someone who PvE's only to understand how Storm can be a low tier school particularly since KI has made the premiere way to kill a mob or boss an OHKO(Storm's specialty). As such I encourage you to take your max level Storm into Ranked 1v1 PvP to see what the OP, myself and countless other storms are talking about.

If you have neither the desire or the capability to PvP then I suggest doing some research. Here is a tier list compiled by Duelist 101's Charles Darkkflower(the premiere w101 PvP site) for each level range. Note which school is bottom tier at almost every lvl range. I also invite you to organize W101's leaderboard by school ad see which school is least represented on there.

Spamming Pierce to attempt to eliminate shields leaves you wide open. Shatter costs effectively 6 pips and earthquake and aftershock even more.

Supernova may only be 60% accuracy however with the advent of DM gear and jewels many Balances are carrying 30%+ accuracy making supernova reliable. Furthermore, experienced PvP players already don't regularly use star magic against balance which is of great benefit to that school since they denied their opponents access to an entire side school. Storm with the advent of Polaris gained almost nothing in terms of health. Whereas most schools are standing at 6k+ health, Storm is standing at 4.5k.

As to Fire having heavy hitting single damage hits(Storm's specialty): I agree with you that there is no problem with that even though that is Storm's specialty. However, when Storm asks for a DoT (which is Fire's specialty) for some reason we are denied this. So Fire can have spells within Storm's specialty but Storms are being told they cannot have spells within Fire's specialty.

To Be Continued.
My highest level Storm is currently level 11 so I don't think that'd work well, and I'm well aware that PvP is a focus of this, but as the main focus is a Storm DoT I thought I might give my advice and see if I had anything helpful to add. I checked out that list and things are truly horrible for Storm there (and I expected it to be bad).

While Pierce spam isn't my finest idea, Shatter can still work wonders. Picture this, you've bladed and trapped your way to 7 power pips; but your enemy has a wall of shields. Shatter one turn, they're completely defenceless and you've got 4 power pips. Next turn; you're up to 9 or 10 pips to use against them and at most they have time for one shield. I wouldn't recommend Sirens, but a Colossal/Epic Storm Owl (maybe even Rusulka's Wrath or a Leviathan) will probably take them out.

Fair enough point about Supernova; but what I suggested still works against anything other than Balance. And on health, I'm not sure what else I can suggest, they have the worst health in-game, it always has been and always will be.

As for Fire, I don't think I phrased myself right. They have single hits, as does every school, it's the key way of dealing damage. Now adding tons of damage to these was Storm's specialty, but that doesn't mean Fire having strong single hits is stealing Storm's thing. Fire has the 2nd best damage in-game, giving them weak single hits wouldn't be fair. I think Storm needs something to help, certainly, but not a DoT higher than Storm/Lightning Elf.

Fair enough, but if traps work backwards (I'm not sure if they do), then you can prism right before you hit. Gaining 1/2 pips and throwing your opponent off for your final strike. But if they break in the order they were placed then you're completely right.

Thanks for the terminology help, and showing how rare the TCs are.

And I have a couple of ideas (one based on Queen Calypso, another on Minotaur) but I'll need to continue this.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 28, 2016 wrote:
Continued from last post

As for why prisms are a waste of time. Opponents do not simply spam storm shields wily nilly. They use a shield and then wait till it is overlaid or broken to use another shield. Using a convert simply leads an opponent to shield around the convert and then once you hit the shielded attack and use your convert the Storm is still left facing a shield. Furthermore using a prism in this meta is a round when you are not attacking, defending or healing which is very often fatal especially with Storm's health.

Meta refers to the predominant strategies and styles of play present in the arena. Today's meta is all about driving an offense while defending in between. Combo spells such as FFA and spells that attack and defend simultaneously such as Abominable Weaver are the defining cards of the current meta.

As for farming for Storm Elf TCs. I don't think you understand quite how rare these TCs are. I did a video(seen here) where I completely cleared out a dungeon where Storm Elf TC drop from. I cleared out Every. Single. Mob. And. Boss. there and earned a grand total of 0 Storm Elf TC.

Life doesn't have a low level AoE but it has 2 High Level AoEs. Myth and Ice don't have direct heals but they do have sacrificial minion heals. Balance doesn't have prisms but they also don't have to worry about specific shields. I am not asking for a low level DoT but simply to have the option of a DoT. Other school's having DoTs does not prevent people from trying other schools why would a Storm DoT magically do this? In fact, Fire is the most populous school according to Wizard 101's 50 million player graphic(seen here).

Finally, can you explain to me how Storm having a DoT would be OP particularly as you do not partake in PvP?
So then, not sure on a name or amount of damage really, but why not have a spell that removes 2 positive wards and then attacks; like how Calypso adds a trap before? Doesn't really solve the issues, but it does something quite useful against shields. Then my favourite idea I have for this:

Riptide - , 7+1 pips, 65% accuracy, Deal 50, then 1500 damage and -25% damage charm to target.

I don't think it's too OP, makes Storm one of the few schools with a double hit but still keeping it unique and without a dot, and has a charm-related side effect; ideal for Storm. The animation could be something along the lines of a small wave hits the enemy, and then reels back into a much bigger one and hits the enemy again.

In PvE, Storm bosses are annoying enough, as a level 76 Balance with about 4000 health, I can leave most boss fights with more than half my health. But against Storm they can easily leave me with a quarter of it, now if they had a DoT, they could leave lasting damage on me while barraging me with other single hits.

But as Mirage and level 118 school spells are likely already planned out/already programmed: how about this? A Korsten Bloodscorn-style trainer in a currently unused Mirage building that teaches lots of mutate spells. Among them could be things like Mutate Elf (Storm). Or more controversially Mutate Beetle (Fire). Basically just a place for the mutate TCs that were never fleshed out as spells.

I think the lack of a Storm/Balance DoT makes them unique, and should be kept. But at the same time, Storm desperately needs something to help against shields. Be it a pre-Piercer or a multi-hit or even just a 2-pip mutation; it needs something to rebalance it.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
frostednutella on Oct 27, 2016 wrote:
Storm needs a spell that comes from the school teacher or is actually meant for higher levels.
storm hound! ha

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Aerial Surge (flying lighting)

X card X

200 per pip, for every enemy, hitting them for every pip
lays down thunderstorm (25 trap aoe) at the end

screen goes straight black, lighting fllashes and your wizard stand, (blades activate) flashes again and shows the enemy slowly being pushed by heavy winds and rain (traps activate) flashes and shows a massive storm and lighting strikes the opponents... if you had an additional shadow pip, it strikes again, for each shadow pip

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Storm hound is not a school doesn't teach you that spell. What makes you think that? It can only be gotten from an item or a pet.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
camahawk on Oct 29, 2016 wrote:
Aerial Surge (flying lighting)

X card X

200 per pip, for every enemy, hitting them for every pip
lays down thunderstorm (25 trap aoe) at the end

screen goes straight black, lighting fllashes and your wizard stand, (blades activate) flashes again and shows the enemy slowly being pushed by heavy winds and rain (traps activate) flashes and shows a massive storm and lighting strikes the opponents... if you had an additional shadow pip, it strikes again, for each shadow pip
This a double Judgement AoE+Windstorm per pip. If this works how I think it would, then a Storm with full pips and 2 pips would deal 8400 and a 25% Storm trap to all enemies. WITHOUT A SINGLE DAMAGE BUFF! And, if I'm interpreting this generously and it needs a pip to activate: that's still 5600+25% trap to all enemies unaided! Needless to say I find this idea ridiculously overpowered.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Blaze Sandblade on Oct 28, 2016 wrote:
My highest level Storm is currently level 11 so I don't think that'd work well, and I'm well aware that PvP is a focus of this, but as the main focus is a Storm DoT I thought I might give my advice and see if I had anything helpful to add. I checked out that list and things are truly horrible for Storm there (and I expected it to be bad).

While Pierce spam isn't my finest idea, Shatter can still work wonders. Picture this, you've bladed and trapped your way to 7 power pips; but your enemy has a wall of shields. Shatter one turn, they're completely defenceless and you've got 4 power pips. Next turn; you're up to 9 or 10 pips to use against them and at most they have time for one shield. I wouldn't recommend Sirens, but a Colossal/Epic Storm Owl (maybe even Rusulka's Wrath or a Leviathan) will probably take them out.

Fair enough point about Supernova; but what I suggested still works against anything other than Balance. And on health, I'm not sure what else I can suggest, they have the worst health in-game, it always has been and always will be.

As for Fire, I don't think I phrased myself right. They have single hits, as does every school, it's the key way of dealing damage. Now adding tons of damage to these was Storm's specialty, but that doesn't mean Fire having strong single hits is stealing Storm's thing. Fire has the 2nd best damage in-game, giving them weak single hits wouldn't be fair. I think Storm needs something to help, certainly, but not a DoT higher than Storm/Lightning Elf.

Fair enough, but if traps work backwards (I'm not sure if they do), then you can prism right before you hit. Gaining 1/2 pips and throwing your opponent off for your final strike. But if they break in the order they were placed then you're completely right.

Thanks for the terminology help, and showing how rare the TCs are.

And I have a couple of ideas (one based on Queen Calypso, another on Minotaur) but I'll need to continue this.
The reason Shatter and Pierce are no longer effective for Storm is because of how fast the current meta is. A storm loses 1/2 their health pool to a single shadow enhanced spell. By the time a Storm would stack their way to seven power pips they are very likely dead or close to dead. I used a similar strategy to what you are saying in an earlier meta here. It worked wonders at that time. However, upon trying that strategy in this meta it was simply untenable due to the large offensive spikes available to all schools and the increase in pierce bought about by jewels.

I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with Fire being given damage spikes. The issue I take is that Storm's supposed specialty is being used by pretty much all schools now. Yet we seemingly can't draw one spell from another school's specialty. That being said I love your ideas below and I'll explore them below.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Blaze Sandblade on Oct 29, 2016 wrote:
So then, not sure on a name or amount of damage really, but why not have a spell that removes 2 positive wards and then attacks; like how Calypso adds a trap before? Doesn't really solve the issues, but it does something quite useful against shields. Then my favourite idea I have for this:

Riptide - , 7+1 pips, 65% accuracy, Deal 50, then 1500 damage and -25% damage charm to target.

I don't think it's too OP, makes Storm one of the few schools with a double hit but still keeping it unique and without a dot, and has a charm-related side effect; ideal for Storm. The animation could be something along the lines of a small wave hits the enemy, and then reels back into a much bigger one and hits the enemy again.

In PvE, Storm bosses are annoying enough, as a level 76 Balance with about 4000 health, I can leave most boss fights with more than half my health. But against Storm they can easily leave me with a quarter of it, now if they had a DoT, they could leave lasting damage on me while barraging me with other single hits.

But as Mirage and level 118 school spells are likely already planned out/already programmed: how about this? A Korsten Bloodscorn-style trainer in a currently unused Mirage building that teaches lots of mutate spells. Among them could be things like Mutate Elf (Storm). Or more controversially Mutate Beetle (Fire). Basically just a place for the mutate TCs that were never fleshed out as spells.

I think the lack of a Storm/Balance DoT makes them unique, and should be kept. But at the same time, Storm desperately needs something to help against shields. Be it a pre-Piercer or a multi-hit or even just a 2-pip mutation; it needs something to rebalance it.
A spell that removes 2 wards before the attack would work wonders for the Storm school. In order for it to be balanced, it would need to be a mid pip cost spell(5-6 pips) to prevent spam potential.

The Riptide Spell also sounds really cool and could definitely find a place in Storm's inventory.

I think a lot of schools would love trainable mutates. Ice school would love Ice Bird, Fire school: Fire Beetle, Life school could probably find great use in a mutated Deer Knight etc.

I like your ideas and agree that if tangible efforts could be made to boost Storm out of low tier then I would happily accept those in lieu of DoTs.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Blaze Sandblade on Oct 29, 2016 wrote:
This a double Judgement AoE+Windstorm per pip. If this works how I think it would, then a Storm with full pips and 2 pips would deal 8400 and a 25% Storm trap to all enemies. WITHOUT A SINGLE DAMAGE BUFF! And, if I'm interpreting this generously and it needs a pip to activate: that's still 5600+25% trap to all enemies unaided! Needless to say I find this idea ridiculously overpowered.
alright, 85 damage per pip.... and needs a to use, but each pip makes it hit again.... and once it' finish, it lays thunderstorm...... pretty much, you do a minotaur-ish tempest

Explorer
Dec 29, 2008

Storm doesn't really "need" a storm DOT, I used to think that but it would be helpful and a lot of players would spam it way to often. Yes, storm does have no utility spells for pvp or what so ever. But I think my idea would even out the odds.

Thunderstorm, 60% accuracy (Prevents most spam), 1,200 damage to all enemies, then 250 over 2 rounds after that round, and 2 -40% accuracy debuff to enemies.

Electrifying Scenario 65%

100 damage to target and 20, 25, or 30% blade.

That's what I think will be helpful to storm.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Epic Mrman67 on Nov 3, 2016 wrote:
Storm doesn't really "need" a storm DOT, I used to think that but it would be helpful and a lot of players would spam it way to often. Yes, storm does have no utility spells for pvp or what so ever. But I think my idea would even out the odds.

Thunderstorm, 60% accuracy (Prevents most spam), 1,200 damage to all enemies, then 250 over 2 rounds after that round, and 2 -40% accuracy debuff to enemies.

Electrifying Scenario 65%

100 damage to target and 20, 25, or 30% blade.

That's what I think will be helpful to storm.
Good one, you have my vote

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
What about Storm Hound? I think it would fit right in. There's a pet and tc of it. Why not make it craftable?