Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do you deal with people who flee dungeons?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 17, 2010
I have been through Tartarus 5 times, and only once did I manage to get through to Hades.

Throughout the dungeon, people fled. Some said they were "afk", but once everyone left the room to progress, they quickly ported out and ignored any messages other players asked if they were returning. In Tartarus, it seems that, if players say they want to "Start with Cronus, then Hades", what they really mean is that, once Cronus is defeated, they're out of the dungeon. There is no "Then Hades" -- there is no Hades.

This seems to be a frequent problem, even in dungeons such as Graveyard. People say they are there for the whole dungeon, merely to keep everyone there, but once they finish the first battle, they are out. They were never there to finish the whole dungeon, only to farm the first boss. I personally find this method manipulative and disgusting with how they use other players time and energy to get what they want, then abandoning players like nothing.

One time through Tartarus we had 4 players. Everything seemed fine, the first two battles were finished, then someone left without word. He was Storm, our main source of damage, but we continued through nevertheless; and after Cerberus, another player left. We must have been in there for about an hour! With two players, there was just no way we could defeat Hades, Zeus and Poseidon. Time wasted.

Every attempt through a dungeon, it is a risk of time. It is gambled time we can never get back. It is not enjoyable. It crushes faith one had in the game. All because of somebody else. Are other players not aware that every player in the game is another human being? A human being with precious time? Anyway, I am now at a point where I have to start making friends who are worth spending time with. Team Up for dungeons is a HUGE gamble, and there is a penalty if you're not in that dungen for 10 minutes, unless it's finished beforehand.

How do you deal with people who flee the dungeons? It doesn't seem like a reportable issue; but I find it very unsportsmanlike. Some players have been recurring abandoners, that I've come to putting them on my ignore list just so I know who they are should there be a next time. One guy I asked why they fled last time, and he just laughed it off with "Oh, haha, I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I promise". But it DID happen again.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2009
Only do it with people you know or do hades first. There really isn't anything you can do since fleeing is not against the rules of wiz101. You have to deal with it that's all.

Good luck farming Wizard!

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I can help you successfully complete the dungeon on a full team; or with just us. I'm on East Coast Time; on most nights from 5-10 pm. When I help friends do Tartartus, I find it funny whenever 1-2 players flee; but that's their problem, and the remaining team successfully completes the dungeon. So if you're able to be online on East Coast Time, between 5-10 pm, I'll be in the pet hatchery in the Phoenix Realm at 7:00 - 7:10 pm, 8:00 - 8:10 pm, 9:00 - 9:10 pm, and at 10:00 - 10:10 pm. If you find me, tell me you want to do the Tartarus Dungeon, and I'll help.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Refuse to do Cronus with them unless they do Hades first, see what happens then. I never farmed Tartarus much because of this reason but you don't need a full team for Darkmoor or Tartarus. There are so many people in Darkmoor that it isn't hard to find a full team, sometimes it takes a few times. Yes, this game is very annoying about people leaving mid-dungeon on purpose.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I gripe about it here, hoping people in future will think twice. It really isn't 'funny' and there's rarely an excuse.

But there are a few possible reasons that might mean it wasn't intentional or it was not a trolling.

1. Real life called. Babies, telephone, dinner ready sooner than expected. A lot of real life reasons big and small.

2. Illness. I will leave that to the imagination.

3. The other person was being a jerk. I fled a dungeon once because I had already been 'killed' in it; I knew it was tricky; and I asked the other person if we could talk first and plan it a bit. They refused. They began to order me around. I tried again politely. It was not going to work out. So I said "have it your way" and I left. To be fair it hadn't started yet. So they were in no danger.

4. They are a newbie and they pressed 'teamup' without realizing what it meant. I did that by mistake early on. It wasn't a dungeon though. Just a low level boss. I was trying to join in with friends nearby. I didn't know they could also get in. I thought if I pressed 'x' it meant I was soloing. I thought 'teamup' was for allowing your friends in. I began the battle with them and then suddenly was pulled into a real 'teamup' with strangers. So I left that one, and we all began again. (No battles had begun yet.)

But I've had many times when I show up to a teamup in a dungeon and I am the only one there.

I've had times when someone bailed on me in a loooong dungeon at the LAST moment right before the 'big boss.' I wound up doing that from the start again.

I've had many many times when people would not talk or friend (so we can port to each other) at all in dungeons which are very windy and back and forth-y or have streets that pull you in each time you pass a certain spot. I usually would wind up being pulled into a street battle and the others whizzing past. Then some would leave the dungeon or finish it without me.

I hate dungeon-ing with strangers. Most won't work together. There, I said it.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Maybe the game could vet a corps of reliable helpers for dungeons. People would only get the badge if they have assisted and completed dungeons with strangers; they lose the badge if they abruptly leave others in the lurch.

I'd also love the game to have the ability for (friends only) to leave a waiting private message. There is a chance they had a service interruption that wasn't restored in time, or some other valid reason (see my other post.) If so they could leave a message explaining what happened a bit, and the others might not feel as put out.

Everyone should 'friend' everyone at the start of any dungeon. Then you can message, port to, etc. If they won't do that or they won't take 2 seconds before you all start, to discuss how you all want to approach the dungeon those are red flags imo.

Hate when people either just sit there unresponsive at the start or they flee fast and far ahead like they are soloing.

Oh and I hate "all the bosses are mine." What?! Lol

If there's no other way I can do that dungeon I put up with that but I still think it's rude. Just solo if you just want all the boss drops imo. If you (general you) wants to help other players, then let them play too.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2009
SparkleTude on Oct 24, 2016 wrote:
Maybe the game could vet a corps of reliable helpers for dungeons. People would only get the badge if they have assisted and completed dungeons with strangers; they lose the badge if they abruptly leave others in the lurch.

I'd also love the game to have the ability for (friends only) to leave a waiting private message. There is a chance they had a service interruption that wasn't restored in time, or some other valid reason (see my other post.) If so they could leave a message explaining what happened a bit, and the others might not feel as put out.

Everyone should 'friend' everyone at the start of any dungeon. Then you can message, port to, etc. If they won't do that or they won't take 2 seconds before you all start, to discuss how you all want to approach the dungeon those are red flags imo.

Hate when people either just sit there unresponsive at the start or they flee fast and far ahead like they are soloing.

Oh and I hate "all the bosses are mine." What?! Lol

If there's no other way I can do that dungeon I put up with that but I still think it's rude. Just solo if you just want all the boss drops imo. If you (general you) wants to help other players, then let them play too.
Looks like Mercenaries101 is what you're looking for! They're a group of highly skilled wizards that dedicate themselves to helping strangers with quests. I highly recommend you make a Central account (if you don't have one already, that is) and post a request on one of their threads when you're struggling with a difficult boss/dungeon. You can check them out here: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?149-Mercenaries101

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Alia GoldLeaf on Oct 25, 2016 wrote:
Looks like Mercenaries101 is what you're looking for! They're a group of highly skilled wizards that dedicate themselves to helping strangers with quests. I highly recommend you make a Central account (if you don't have one already, that is) and post a request on one of their threads when you're struggling with a difficult boss/dungeon. You can check them out here: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?149-Mercenaries101
Thank you for that tip!

Adherent
May 20, 2010
The internet is full of self-absorbed people who don't care about anybody except themselves. That's the price one pays in a multi-player environment. Toontown was notorious for it, as it its revival, and as is almost every other MMORPG that requires team play.

The farming problem could be alleviated somewhat if farmers make groups that are there to farm whatever boss, after which the group will disband. For example:

"Looking for group to farm Cronus"

That way, four wizards with the same goal would get together, and there would be no hard feelings afterwards.

As for "professional fleas" (those who flee constantly), my policy was to put them on ignore so they didn't do it to me again. Unfortunately, that doesn't help when they do it the first time.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2015
Unfortunately its a part of the game. It's annoying, but we have to deal with it. You can ask people in the commons, or on other forums, if theyre willing to help you complete the dungeon. As others said there are some wizards who specialize in helping others.

You could also limit yourself to asking you friends that you know won't bail on you. Team up is a risky gamble, but it does pay off at times. I've had half of the team leave in the middle of dungeons before and me and the remaining wizard pressed on. (It was lower level dungeons so we managed)

I understand how it can be impossible in higher level dungeons though. Just make sure the ones you enter with are in it for the whole ride. If theyre not, simply exit and try again since you were looking for a team to complete it with. Its not fair if they trick you into helping them farm the boss they're after then just leave, at least be honest.

I understand the "life happens" side as well though. Sometimes things happen in life that we can't control that require us to leave. If they have to leave for some reason it'd be helpful if they mentioned that instead of just randomly porting away.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Kullen NightRider on Nov 9, 2016 wrote:
Unfortunately its a part of the game. It's annoying, but we have to deal with it. You can ask people in the commons, or on other forums, if theyre willing to help you complete the dungeon. As others said there are some wizards who specialize in helping others.

You could also limit yourself to asking you friends that you know won't bail on you. Team up is a risky gamble, but it does pay off at times. I've had half of the team leave in the middle of dungeons before and me and the remaining wizard pressed on. (It was lower level dungeons so we managed)

I understand how it can be impossible in higher level dungeons though. Just make sure the ones you enter with are in it for the whole ride. If theyre not, simply exit and try again since you were looking for a team to complete it with. Its not fair if they trick you into helping them farm the boss they're after then just leave, at least be honest.

I understand the "life happens" side as well though. Sometimes things happen in life that we can't control that require us to leave. If they have to leave for some reason it'd be helpful if they mentioned that instead of just randomly porting away.
I too have the same problem about people fleeing from dungeons specially when I'm almost done. But what can you do. It comes with the game. We can't control everyday life. I always do a dungeon like; Darkmoor, waterworks, Atlantea, Tartarus, etc.. in the mid-day hours mostly on weekends to lessen the chance of players fleeing for whatever the reason is. For me having 2 accounts, I make sure I take 2 of my wizards in a dungeon to have a more of a guaranty to finish it if players do flee. I know I wont flee because I'm not going to flee from my self. lol

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Kullen NightRider on Nov 9, 2016 wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to quote your post. I meant to post separately. OOPS! lol

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
One wizard still had to finish Big Ben/Meowriarty at Marleybone, to move on to Mooshu.

I kept putting it off because it's not an easy thing at all and also because I wasn't sure if anyone would ever team up with me to do that. (It is still at this point simpler to just solo or do teamups, most of the time.)

Then I saw someone asking for a teamup on it. So even though i was tired and it was late I did the teamup.
Well after the 3rd fight they said they have to leave. They seemed to want some dramatic reaction because they just kept saying they had to leave over and over, although I said OK and didn't really react. But they kept just saying it and not leaving. I finally said It's OK and they left.

I had the feeling after they left that they were trolling. That they did it on purpose. Who doesn't know whether they can finish a dungeon or not before they start it? Who has to suddenly leave without warning? I know it can always happen so that's why I didn't react or get dramatic about it.

There were other indications it could've been a trolling, some strange things and strange remarks before they said they were going to leave. And they started the dungeon at about 200 health - who does that? And they said they didn't do the dungeon before but then they slipped and talked about later levels in it. (After saying they hadn't done it before on any wizard.)

I didn't really care what their reasons were. I just wanted them to go or to stay so then I could stop hearing about it and move on. Which I did, once they finally left Lol.

The good news is I decided I might as well try to finish. So I tried. And I did it. I beat Big Ben and Meowriarty all by myself! (And with my minion's help but still.)

Tips: Mark location in a safe spot, and go get wisps every time you need them. At some levels in Big Ben there are wisps but rarely enough of them. Then go back and continue. Beating the last bosses wasn't easy but I did it.
I was so happy til I realized I forgot to get the cat :(

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
SparkleTude on Nov 21, 2016 wrote:
One wizard still had to finish Big Ben/Meowriarty at Marleybone, to move on to Mooshu.

I kept putting it off because it's not an easy thing at all and also because I wasn't sure if anyone would ever team up with me to do that. (It is still at this point simpler to just solo or do teamups, most of the time.)

Then I saw someone asking for a teamup on it. So even though i was tired and it was late I did the teamup.
Well after the 3rd fight they said they have to leave. They seemed to want some dramatic reaction because they just kept saying they had to leave over and over, although I said OK and didn't really react. But they kept just saying it and not leaving. I finally said It's OK and they left.

I had the feeling after they left that they were trolling. That they did it on purpose. Who doesn't know whether they can finish a dungeon or not before they start it? Who has to suddenly leave without warning? I know it can always happen so that's why I didn't react or get dramatic about it.

There were other indications it could've been a trolling, some strange things and strange remarks before they said they were going to leave. And they started the dungeon at about 200 health - who does that? And they said they didn't do the dungeon before but then they slipped and talked about later levels in it. (After saying they hadn't done it before on any wizard.)

I didn't really care what their reasons were. I just wanted them to go or to stay so then I could stop hearing about it and move on. Which I did, once they finally left Lol.

The good news is I decided I might as well try to finish. So I tried. And I did it. I beat Big Ben and Meowriarty all by myself! (And with my minion's help but still.)

Tips: Mark location in a safe spot, and go get wisps every time you need them. At some levels in Big Ben there are wisps but rarely enough of them. Then go back and continue. Beating the last bosses wasn't easy but I did it.
You forgot the cat?
Wow..
But still, congrats on that accomplishment though! :D

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Nov 21, 2016 wrote:

OOPS! I guess you have to do the dungeon again. The good news is the cat is not in the final room. I love spilling the milk every time I go in there. It gives me an extra boss battle

Survivor
Sep 28, 2016
I made the mistake of going into Sunken City without a deal of experience a while ago, one extremely strong player said they'd help me and I was really grateful. We went through all the dungeons with no major problems, I was the first one into the fight (everyone was holding back because first in gets hit the most apparently) until Grubb.

Then they passed every turn. Every. Turn. I was extremely confused, and I was (and am) Storm/Life, so I was really struggling to keep my health up while dealing with 3 enemies that I really couldn't handle. I asked for help and the other guy said "if you'll be my girl" and I was like... wow. Incredible. He just ended up doing nothing and only after I said no repeatedly and was "defeated" that he ended up killing the boss in a single AoE, and I got nothing. I had to complete the dungeon over again later and it was really an experience that ruined teamup for me.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
spadeseers on Nov 25, 2016 wrote:
I made the mistake of going into Sunken City without a deal of experience a while ago, one extremely strong player said they'd help me and I was really grateful. We went through all the dungeons with no major problems, I was the first one into the fight (everyone was holding back because first in gets hit the most apparently) until Grubb.

Then they passed every turn. Every. Turn. I was extremely confused, and I was (and am) Storm/Life, so I was really struggling to keep my health up while dealing with 3 enemies that I really couldn't handle. I asked for help and the other guy said "if you'll be my girl" and I was like... wow. Incredible. He just ended up doing nothing and only after I said no repeatedly and was "defeated" that he ended up killing the boss in a single AoE, and I got nothing. I had to complete the dungeon over again later and it was really an experience that ruined teamup for me.
That person definitely should not have done that and I am pretty sure you can report people for doing stuff like that. Even people asking questions such as the one he asked you can be reportable. There area lot of these types of people in the game who take it way to seriously and in the end they appear to be obnoxious.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
frostednutella on Nov 25, 2016 wrote:
That person definitely should not have done that and I am pretty sure you can report people for doing stuff like that. Even people asking questions such as the one he asked you can be reportable. There area lot of these types of people in the game who take it way to seriously and in the end they appear to be obnoxious.
Ugh.

You cannot report someone for asking you to be any sort of significant other. You cannot report someone who was trolling by letting you die before ending the battle.This has been rehashed over and over and over.

Explorer
May 25, 2016
Lol ik how u feel when people flee or just leave. I was doing hollow mountian the other day and finally got a good team(though we were all storm except one max life)
We got to the puzzle part and he says "well good luck guys" and leaves. It's rather annoying, but sadly we can't do a thing about it.

Another example that happened to me was also another Hollow Mountian team up. We had four people join, as soon as we all get in 2 people leave before we even get in battle. All I could think was "why did you join the team up if u were just gonna leave before the first battle?"

Some people just think of themselves over helping people.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Starblood653 on Nov 30, 2016 wrote:
Ugh.

You cannot report someone for asking you to be any sort of significant other. You cannot report someone who was trolling by letting you die before ending the battle.This has been rehashed over and over and over.
Obviously you don't realize that first off you are being extremely rude to me by the way you put your answer and two, this can be seen as harassment. Also, trolling can be seen as extremely rude (therefore reportable) and as many people can say, trolling got them muted.

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
frostednutella on Dec 9, 2016 wrote:
Obviously you don't realize that first off you are being extremely rude to me by the way you put your answer and two, this can be seen as harassment. Also, trolling can be seen as extremely rude (therefore reportable) and as many people can say, trolling got them muted.
He has a point, and he was just simply exasperated about all the people saying to report people for something not that major, I agree it was wrong just not reportable.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
jordan night blood on Dec 11, 2016 wrote:
He has a point, and he was just simply exasperated about all the people saying to report people for something not that major, I agree it was wrong just not reportable.
In that case, it could be considered harassment and actually can be reportable.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Before reporting someone, make sure it's reportable . If it isn't, it can backfire on you by suspending or banning yourself. You can always contact ki about your concerns before you take such an action but I would read the contents on whats reportible first

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
frostednutella on Dec 11, 2016 wrote:
In that case, it could be considered harassment and actually can be reportable.
What are you referring to? What starblood653 said or the original issue about false reporting?

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
jordan night blood on Dec 12, 2016 wrote:
What are you referring to? What starblood653 said or the original issue about false reporting?
I was referring to your post.