Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is this against the rules?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
This is the situation:

I did a dungeon with another wizard today (Sunday, Oct. 9) and while we were fighting the other player was telling me how much damage I would do before my spell was cast. The wizard also moved a great deal faster than I could, even though both our mounts has the same speed bonus. After thinking about it, it appeared to me that this player was using some kind of "cheat" program that increased the speed the game performed for them.

Is this kind of program allowed?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Cheat engines are not allowed, however what you describe sounds more like lag on your part.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
If this player has found some sort of cheat that he is using in the game and gets caught, he will be banned.

But there is also a possibility the speed difference is because of your computer compared to the other player. If his/her's is newer and faster than yours then that could also explain it.

Example: My computer is older and still running XP and a friend has a relatively new computer with all the latest updates. Mine is going to be slower to respond in all areas of the game to some extent.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
You shouldn't use "cheat engines" or any programs that aren't made by KI to play Wizard101. I don't know for sure if you person was cheating, but possibly. If they are really good at math they can calculate how much damage you'll do. (You can too and it's a good mathematical exercise.) As far as moving really fast that does sound more like a cheat engine, but I do know there used to be a couple of glitches where it looked like people were moving through walls, but I haven't seen that for a long time.

Anyway, just make sure that you are not breaking the rules, but if you're really concerned you can take screenshots and send it to Mr. Lincoln at support.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
No. Using any sort of "cheats" "Hacks" or "Modding" Of wizard101 software of any kind is not allowed. I would have likely reported him if i saw true signs of some form of hacking software being implemented.

Survivor
Jan 16, 2015
interesting, though i doubt there is a cheating program specifically designed for faster mounts. perhaps he/she knows some type of glitch that makes the mounts faster.
deliberately causing glitches to have access to things that otherwise require payment is against the rules. i too have many times been in the same situation. for me it's very insignificant so i wouldnt think about it much.

Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I can say with great confidence that it was not a computer difference, as my computer is less than a year old and has had extra RAM added for better performance.

I am also confident it wasn't lag because the game wasn't showing any indication of lag. Though I suppose it could be his internet connection being faster than mine, but to be honest I highly doubt that too. I have one of the best internet speeds offered by my ISP.

Another thing that I should have mentioned is when I asked him how he knew what damage I would do he just gave me a :| emote and stopped talking altogether. Also as soon as we killed the final boss he ported away and quickly deleted me.

I still have the name of the wizard (not his account name) but I didn't think it was appropriate to mention names on the forums.

I'd like to stress that I have no actual proof he was using a cheat program, just that it seemed like he was using something that sped up the game greatly for him. That is why I asked on here instead of just reporting him.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Eliais on Oct 9, 2016 wrote:
This is the situation:

I did a dungeon with another wizard today (Sunday, Oct. 9) and while we were fighting the other player was telling me how much damage I would do before my spell was cast. The wizard also moved a great deal faster than I could, even though both our mounts has the same speed bonus. After thinking about it, it appeared to me that this player was using some kind of "cheat" program that increased the speed the game performed for them.

Is this kind of program allowed?
Damage calculation is fairly simple math. The bonus from blades and traps is pretty straightforward, and your gear boost is visible by clicking on your name and paging over. Someone with a hand calculator or just a good head for numbers could predict your damage fairly reliably, so this isn't very good grounds to accuse someone of cheating.

The mount speed may be a different story. I can suggest the following non-hacks to explain what may have been happening:

1) Players will move before a dungeon or other area is done loading. For this reason, you can join a Loremaster fight from the kiosk, hold down the W key as the dungeon loads, and pop directly into the fight.

2) Players seem to lad relative to each other on the server. It seems like others who are chasing you may be leading you by a small amount. Such players may seem to grab reagents or chests early, or else beat you into a ring.

3) Permanent mounts mostly add 40% to move speed, compared to 20% for most 24-hour mounts. Some mounts even go 50% faster.

It may be possible to cheat w101 speed, but see if the "cheater" might be explained by one of these other items before reporting them.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Maycast on Oct 11, 2016 wrote:
No. Using any sort of "cheats" "Hacks" or "Modding" Of wizard101 software of any kind is not allowed. I would have likely reported him if i saw true signs of some form of hacking software being implemented.
You need to be careful what you report in the game. If a player is using a "Cheat" he will get caught sooner or later.

There are a couple of threads about reporting IN-GAME offenses.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/i-got-reported-28843?page=1

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/wizardly-chatting-2485?page=1

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
There was a 'speed engine' download people used in the game over the years; it dramatically speeds up their mounts, training games in pet pavilion, and also what you have described with spell casting results. I have had opponents use it in PVP (not fun).

Luckily it doesn't seem to be as prevalent as it used to be.
Not only does it seem shady, more than likely it's against KI rules.