Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Words that should not be allowed in text chat.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
I understand that the KingsIsland team works very hard to keep their games user friendly, maybe a little too hard. But I think they have missed some spots. I would like to ask the question "What words shouldn't be allowed in text chat?" I have two suggestions.

-"Noob" (This word absolutely has to go. It is overused and is clearly an insult from any perspective. Some people may use it lightly but the majority of people use it in a negative context.)
-"Scrub" (I hadn't heard of this word until a few years ago while playing this game. This carries about as much weight or more than "Noob" and is clearly offensive.)

I would like to know if anybody agrees with me and if they have any other words to add to the list. As far as I can see the only reason these words exist is to insult or taunt others.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I agree, "Noob" needs to go. even thou it's slang word for newbie. It's still insulting for a lot of players by those who abuses the true meaning in the means of belittling. (bullying).
-"scrub" is used as "scum" since that word was filtered. (bullying)
Weakling" is another one I heard it too many times. (Bullying).
-'Baby" is used as "wimp". It's also used to flirt with a girl and that's against the rules if a girl reports it like that. players can say cry baby. (bullying)

All 4 of these words are insulting to many players. Ignore button will not stop this behavior. So they should be filtered or banned. if players wish to bypass filters to bully, Then I feel they should be muted or even banned

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
This would probably be very useful if all those words were filtered out.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
even though this is opposite of the post... i want the word "cam" added into it and any other possible 3/4 letter word shortening of already made names..

demo and demolition.... why arent these in it? i only want demolition for the fact i use it with my other favorite words, slaughter, eradicate, obliterate, annihilate, execute..... all these words and their tion, ing, ed, er. are allowed why not Demolition?

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
just thought of a one more as i hit post.... Vehicles! why cant we say, car, bus, train, truck, van? i mean i have open chat but still!

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
I agree, "Noob" needs to go. even thou it's slang word for newbie. It's still insulting for a lot of players by those who abuses the true meaning in the means of belittling. (bullying).
-"scrub" is used as "scum" since that word was filtered. (bullying)
Weakling" is another one I heard it too many times. (Bullying).
-'Baby" is used as "wimp". It's also used to flirt with a girl and that's against the rules if a girl reports it like that. players can say cry baby. (bullying)

All 4 of these words are insulting to many players. Ignore button will not stop this behavior. So they should be filtered or banned. if players wish to bypass filters to bully, Then I feel they should be muted or even banned
Well honestly they kinda have to keep the word "Baby." Mainly because wizards may need to refer to their pets as Baby, Teen, Adult, and so on.

Weakling is a tough one because it could be used when referring to mobs or real people. Considering how it is derived from the word "Weak," we may need to keep it.

It would be nice though, given the technology that we have, if KI could possibly put in a more advanced context filter. Like being able to sense when a word is about to used disrespectfully. I have noticed that there already is a sort of context filter in text chat but it only catches so much.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Or, y'know, we could just grow thicker skin...

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Starblood653 on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
Or, y'know, we could just grow thicker skin...
That too lol.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
ToastedCoaster on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
Well honestly they kinda have to keep the word "Baby." Mainly because wizards may need to refer to their pets as Baby, Teen, Adult, and so on.

Weakling is a tough one because it could be used when referring to mobs or real people. Considering how it is derived from the word "Weak," we may need to keep it.

It would be nice though, given the technology that we have, if KI could possibly put in a more advanced context filter. Like being able to sense when a word is about to used disrespectfully. I have noticed that there already is a sort of context filter in text chat but it only catches so much.
The word baby used for pets and so one is different then calling some baby by texting. If someone calls you a cry baby, "don't be a baby" or weakling in the same matter, that won't offend you? What if boy says to a girl; "hi Baby, "how's my baby" etc.., That isn't flirting which is against the security rules. I heard people got banned for saying the word "girlfriend" which to me isn't as bad as "baby"

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Oct 6, 2016 wrote:
The word baby used for pets and so one is different then calling some baby by texting. If someone calls you a cry baby, "don't be a baby" or weakling in the same matter, that won't offend you? What if boy says to a girl; "hi Baby, "how's my baby" etc.., That isn't flirting which is against the security rules. I heard people got banned for saying the word "girlfriend" which to me isn't as bad as "baby"
It absolutely would offend me, but the fact that some words have uses besides insulting someone means that they absolutely cannot remove that word. It could create a gap in someone's line of communication. Wizard101 already has enough communication gaps in text chat, it would be bad for players if they created more. And one thing that came to mind when reading your post, is that wizards can just report someone for improperly using these words with multiple uses or meanings. That can probably be said for the words "Noob" and "Scrub" but it would still be better to have them removed.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Any phonetic spellings of curse words or really offensive words - the syllables often do not hold any meaning alone.

"Shot op" is one I see flying around the Commons a lot, with other abusive words behind it.

So maybe not only a few words, but a few common phrases which are reported often for verbal abuse?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Patrick Ravenbane on Oct 6, 2016 wrote:
Didn't know the word "girlfriend" was banned? I was playing one day and a male wizard was running up to each female wizard and saying "will you be my girl in the game?" Lol (Everyone said no.)

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
Here's an idea! Let's filter EVERY word in the dictionary out so every word is in red! Then nobody can chat! :) that's just great for open chat players like me who want to chat which is supposed to be "18+" but words are filtered in red.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Oct 7, 2016 wrote:
Didn't know the word "girlfriend" was banned? I was playing one day and a male wizard was running up to each female wizard and saying "will you be my girl in the game?" Lol (Everyone said no.)
I noticed that too. I think "girlfriend" was banned shortly after someone I know lost his account for saying that word. Oh yes, you can hear a lot crazy talk in the Commons. I sit in there when I'm bored to have a few laughs lol. It makes me wonder how many players get reported everyday

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
frostednutella on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
This would probably be very useful if all those words were filtered out.
I agree, except for baby. It can be used for describing pet's level, (baby, teen, adult, etc.) I don't find a guy calling 'baby' that offensive. I'm not saying that I like it, but it's just not that offensive.

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Roleplaying with internet girlfriends/boyfriends on this game is so 2008-2010.

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
The only problem is that as they ban more words people are just going to come up with ways around it. I've never seen scrub used in game, but if it is being used as a replacement for scum like you say it is the perfect example. Scum is banned, so they use scrub. If scrub gets banned, they will substitute another word.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
This game is supposed to be family friendly so it really should be made into a family friendly game if people don't think it is already.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Heuna on Oct 9, 2016 wrote:
The only problem is that as they ban more words people are just going to come up with ways around it. I've never seen scrub used in game, but if it is being used as a replacement for scum like you say it is the perfect example. Scum is banned, so they use scrub. If scrub gets banned, they will substitute another word.
That did occur to me. The only way though for them to keep that from happening is to closely watch the Wizard101 community to see what word will rise up to take its place. Knowing KI though, they probably won't do anything about it. Even though they are constantly exposed to players abusing text chat through the reporting system.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Someone was using "roach" as a racial epithet, in the Commons. :(

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
A Balanced Life on Oct 7, 2016 wrote:
Here's an idea! Let's filter EVERY word in the dictionary out so every word is in red! Then nobody can chat! :) that's just great for open chat players like me who want to chat which is supposed to be "18+" but words are filtered in red.
You can change chat filters in your website settings, I think?