Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Water Elemental for Storm

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
This is the most useless summon a minion spell I know of. It does nothing for you in battle. All it does is shield and heal itself when you're the one being attacked. It might shield you every now and than. By that time you may be dead What is the point of that minion?

Tanner Stormrider 53

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
It does have its uses as a decoy. The point of the minion is to draw threat from the opponent's monsters so that your Storm Wizard doesn't take as much damage. It shields and heals itself to keep itself alive so it can act as a decoy longer. Could it stand to be improved? Absolutely, but good luck getting any on these forums to acknowledge an issue with it much less agree to a change.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Wizard101 has relatively weak judgment programmed into its computer-controlled combatants. As an example, NPCs will often choose themselves, even when completely uninjured.

Improving this AI could cut both ways, though. Smarter opponents would also be harder opponents.

A good compromise would be to make minions and henchmen unfailingly follow menu directions, or else pass when given an impossible order. As things stand, they seem to ignore battle orders. (There is some believe that they will follow the last round's orders, but I've seen no evidence at all for this.)

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 19, 2016 wrote:
It does have its uses as a decoy. The point of the minion is to draw threat from the opponent's monsters so that your Storm Wizard doesn't take as much damage. It shields and heals itself to keep itself alive so it can act as a decoy longer. Could it stand to be improved? Absolutely, but good luck getting any on these forums to acknowledge an issue with it much less agree to a change.
True but it wont be a decoy if it doesn't hit and do enough damage to distract the creature

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Patrick Ravenbane on Sep 18, 2016 wrote:
This is the most useless summon a minion spell I know of. It does nothing for you in battle. All it does is shield and heal itself when you're the one being attacked. It might shield you every now and than. By that time you may be dead What is the point of that minion?

Tanner Stormrider 53
I disagree completely. Water elemental is the most useful minion in the game with the possible exception of myth's golem minion.

Minions in wizard 101 are mostly useless, you hardly ever see players use them. This is because their completely random spell selection messes up so much of what your wizard is trying to do. They particularly have an issue with burning traps with useless low point attacks. You spend 7 training points learning feint, slap it on a target to get a big hit, and your stupid minion burns it throwing leprechaun or the like. The advantages of most minions come with enough disadvantages they simply aren't worth the pips and turn to cast

You seem to be complaining that water elemental never attacks. This is exactly what makes water elemental awesome. It NEVER burns your traps. If you have water elemental as a learned spell, you are a storm wizard. Storm is the master of offense, you don't need a minion doing damage for you. What you need is a minion that helps keep you alive while you kill stuff, and that is exactly what water elemental does. It casts a lot of heals and shields and spirit armors, largely on itself, yes, but some of them on your wizard as well. And it casts taunt to draw attacks away from you and onto itself.

It takes a few turns for water elemental to really make a difference; you want to use it in the tough boss battles, not common street fights. By the time you get to Celestia, it starts looking pretty useless, it tends to get taken out by AOE spells before it can really do anything. But from Krokotopia through Mooshu it's awesome.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
DanTheTerrible on Sep 27, 2016 wrote:
I disagree completely. Water elemental is the most useful minion in the game with the possible exception of myth's golem minion.

Minions in wizard 101 are mostly useless, you hardly ever see players use them. This is because their completely random spell selection messes up so much of what your wizard is trying to do. They particularly have an issue with burning traps with useless low point attacks. You spend 7 training points learning feint, slap it on a target to get a big hit, and your stupid minion burns it throwing leprechaun or the like. The advantages of most minions come with enough disadvantages they simply aren't worth the pips and turn to cast

You seem to be complaining that water elemental never attacks. This is exactly what makes water elemental awesome. It NEVER burns your traps. If you have water elemental as a learned spell, you are a storm wizard. Storm is the master of offense, you don't need a minion doing damage for you. What you need is a minion that helps keep you alive while you kill stuff, and that is exactly what water elemental does. It casts a lot of heals and shields and spirit armors, largely on itself, yes, but some of them on your wizard as well. And it casts taunt to draw attacks away from you and onto itself.

It takes a few turns for water elemental to really make a difference; you want to use it in the tough boss battles, not common street fights. By the time you get to Celestia, it starts looking pretty useless, it tends to get taken out by AOE spells before it can really do anything. But from Krokotopia through Mooshu it's awesome.
I don't know why summoning the water elemental minion spell works for you but it does nothing for me even in long battles. I was hoping it shields and/or heals me or at least be a decoy. It didn't do either not once every time I cast it So I stopped using that spell and I won't get it again when I play a storm My post is hoping to address it to KI so they can look in to it