Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 15, 2010
I just signed my daughter up for membership. I want her to use the menu chat as she is way to young for text chatting but with that said she cannot read anything anyone says. Is there a way she can read what is said and still have menu chat? Thank you for your time.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
bonniesue on Sep 2, 2016 wrote:
I just signed my daughter up for membership. I want her to use the menu chat as she is way to young for text chatting but with that said she cannot read anything anyone says. Is there a way she can read what is said and still have menu chat? Thank you for your time.
Menu chatters can only see the pre-selected chat offered by Kingsisle. If she wants to see what people say, you'll have to enable Text Chat.

In my opinion, if you think she is old enough to see what people say in Text Chat, then shouldn't she be also old enough to talk to them..? There are some very nice and friendly people out there in the Spiral.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
If Menu Chat only is on, then you can use and read Menu Chat, but not Text Chat. In order to read peoples' Text Chat, then you must have Text Chat on.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2010
I will not add text chat as she has disabilities including high functioning autism and could easily be taken advantage of or worse yet hurt or killed because she does not understand danger of people at all. In your opinion you stated if she is old enough to see what people say she is old enough for text chat- I wonder how much you have dealt with children with disabilities? She is old enough by age but not by disabilities to have text chat. I just wanted to see if there was a way she could see without being able to speak to people as she feels left out at times and I wanted her to feel like a normal child, however that is fine I would rather have her feel left out then have something happen to her from playing the game. Thank you for your time.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
bonniesue on Sep 5, 2016 wrote:
I will not add text chat as she has disabilities including high functioning autism and could easily be taken advantage of or worse yet hurt or killed because she does not understand danger of people at all. In your opinion you stated if she is old enough to see what people say she is old enough for text chat- I wonder how much you have dealt with children with disabilities? She is old enough by age but not by disabilities to have text chat. I just wanted to see if there was a way she could see without being able to speak to people as she feels left out at times and I wanted her to feel like a normal child, however that is fine I would rather have her feel left out then have something happen to her from playing the game. Thank you for your time.
I have a son with Asperger's, so I know what you mean. I don't think that FusionSun meant anything harmful in their statement. If you feel that text chat would be dangerous for her to use, then I would not want her seeing a lot of what some of the "not so nice people" try to get past the filters, and would limit her to menu chat.

I would not worry about her feeling left out with only menu chat. Most people in the spiral will also use menu chat to communicate with a player that only has menu chat available to them. She won't see everything... but that could be a good thing, as well!

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
bonniesue on Sep 5, 2016 wrote:
Also, it would have been easier understood, had you mentioned that she had a disability, then to immediately get upset because FusionSun did not take that into consideration. How would they have known? As far as anyone knew, you were talking about a child you felt comfortable with seeing text chat... which most would agree, if they are mature enough to see it, then let them use it.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2010
I appreciate everyone's responses. I was not upset about anything as I was simply trying to get an answer to my question about menu chat and text chat. The problem with text messages is the person reading can add any tone to the message they want to.I was not upset at all for Fusionsun giving me their opinion, however since this person did give me their opinion I wanted the person to understand why I would not let her have text chat. BloodyJohnJenkins would have started out with my daughters disability had I know it was needed. I wasn't asking if someone felt I should or should not let her have text chat my question was if you use menu chat is there away to be able to see what others are saying and I did receive my answer. The answer is no unless it is menu chat. I am not trying to be rude or mean to anyone I just wanted an answer to my question. I have been on this game a long time and had no problems at all since I let my daughter get on so we could play and have a fun time together Mother and daughter it has been nothing but problems. BloodyJohnJenkins I appreciated your first response understanding what I was talking about. At times I feel alone with trying to help her fit in, yet her disabilities can get in the way. I love her so very much and simply wanted us to do something fun together.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
bonniesue on Sep 7, 2016 wrote:
I appreciate everyone's responses. I was not upset about anything as I was simply trying to get an answer to my question about menu chat and text chat. The problem with text messages is the person reading can add any tone to the message they want to.I was not upset at all for Fusionsun giving me their opinion, however since this person did give me their opinion I wanted the person to understand why I would not let her have text chat. BloodyJohnJenkins would have started out with my daughters disability had I know it was needed. I wasn't asking if someone felt I should or should not let her have text chat my question was if you use menu chat is there away to be able to see what others are saying and I did receive my answer. The answer is no unless it is menu chat. I am not trying to be rude or mean to anyone I just wanted an answer to my question. I have been on this game a long time and had no problems at all since I let my daughter get on so we could play and have a fun time together Mother and daughter it has been nothing but problems. BloodyJohnJenkins I appreciated your first response understanding what I was talking about. At times I feel alone with trying to help her fit in, yet her disabilities can get in the way. I love her so very much and simply wanted us to do something fun together.
I understand what you mean, and I love the fact that you want what's best for her. The only reason I brought up the second post, was the way you worded your response to FusionSun - "I wonder how much you have dealt with children with disabilities?" You don't know, maybe they have dealt with it before, and that statement would be a bit insulting if you had said it to me.

That said, I am sorry that you have had problems with just menu chat. I hope that the experience gets better, as I said, a lot of people take the time to use menu chat as well, to communicate with menu chat only players. I am one of them. If you need someone to quest with, that does understand your situation, feel free to look for me in game, and I will do my best to help out, even with menu chat. Also, just know that you aren't alone.

Look for Jonathan Lionheart, 55 , if you wish. See you in the Spiral!

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
You may want to contact KI support.

"Muted" players can function as you would like your daughter to be able to. They have no ability to type any chat of any kind, but they can read the Text (not Open) Chat that other players under 18 are able to read and type. They are then able to respond via the limited Menu Chat options. Typically players are muted for breaking rules, so she might encounter some adults who will not respond out of a self-righteous opinion that once a rule-breaker, always a rule-breaker. It doesn't seem to be common, but I have heard such dreck from other adults when I choose to assist a "Mute." (Note, I've never seen them direct it at a mute, though, so I doubt it would be much, if any.)

If your goal is that she may only use Menu Chat but that she can read others typed messages (any word that is limited to Text Chatters appears as an elipsis) muting definitely achieves it.

I don't know if KI would mute her at your request and I don't know if it be conditional that the mute be permanent, but what you want is certainly technically possible in the game. (Not all muting is permanent. I was once muted for ten minutes and I still don't know why.) It would absolutely be worth contacting support.

You could try emailing help@kingsisle.com and community@kingsisle.com from the Master Account email.

They may not do it, but it's worth a shot, right? If you do so, would you report back? I'd like to know what happens.