Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What Schools/Academies Would you Like to See?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Let's just clear up those terms. A SCHOOL is a type/discipline of a certain magic (Pyromancy, Conjuration, Sorcery). An ACADEMY is a place where multiple of these Schools are taught (Ravenwood, Pigswick, Dragonspyre). What are the schools we know? What are the academies we know? Well, we have 3 named academies (and one kind-of academy), and these are the schools they teach:

The Ravenwood School of Magical Arts - Located in Wizard City, this academy has schools for Pyromancy (Fire), Thaumaturgy (Ice), Divination (Storm), Conjuration (Myth), Theurgy (Life) in its main campus. Along with a Necromancy (Death) school in Nightside, and a Sorcery (Balance) professor outside (the school symbol & tree) Bartleby. It has a duelist, librarian & potion vendor, along with a retired Alchemy teacher on Firecat Alley. The tree is an important symbol in Ravenwood, with the World Tree Bartleby (Grandfather Tree) and a school tree for every school except Sorcery. The headmaster is Merle Ambrose.

Pigswick Academy - Located in Wysteria, this academy has schools for Ember (Fire), Frost (Ice), Tempest (Storm), Chaos (Myth), Earth (Life), Spirit (Death) & Equilibrium (Balance) in its main campus. It has a librarian and duelist but no potion vendor as of yet. There is also an Art professor nearby the fountain where Pigswick is said to draw its magic from. The headmistress is Belladonna Crisp.

Dragonspyre Academy - Located in Dragonspyre, this academy has schools for Pyromancy (Fire) Thaumaturgy (Ice), Divination (Storm), Conjuration (Myth) & Necromancy (Death) in its main campus. It has long been abandoned, and has a pile of rubble in the place of two other schools that haven't been named or addressed. It has a librarian in the Atheneum and several dueling teachers, but we've yet to meet a potion vendor. The dragon & drake are powerful symbols of Dragonspyre, as are Pyromancy and war. The headmaster/headmistress is unknown and long dead as the academy has been abandoned for a while.

The Arcanum - Located somewhere (it's complicated), this academy has schools and teachers for Pyromancy (Fire), Thaumaturgy (Ice), Divination (Storm), Conjuration (Myth), Theurgy (Life), Necromancy (Death), Sorcery (Balance), Astralmancy (Sun, Moon & Star) & Shadowmancy/Umbramancy (Shadow) in its Panopticon. It also has a mysterious school door within an electric cage just outside of the Panopticon (A school and symbol were leaked but I won't share them here). It has a librarian, duelist & potion vendor just like Ravenwood. It has no headmaster/headmistress (that we've met).

Well there's also the School of Balance in Krokotopia, Somewhere in Avalon where Merle taught Morganthe, Another Somewhere in Avalon that Beatrice Wildwind represented in the Spiral Cup, Somewhere in Mooshu that Kisai Shugenja represented in the Spiral Cup, Somewhere in Mirage that Nalia Dunestrider represented in the Spiral Cup; and probably some more.

So what would you guys want to see or learn more about?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
A water school. There is no water school.

An air school. There is no air school (Maybe balance, not sure.)

I guess Life is earth. And you have Fire as well.

Air, Water, Wind, Fire. Those are pretty much the elements? One or two seem to be missing.

Oh and maybe the Random school. Sort of along the lines of a jokester or a trickster, or Kali, something that is mischievous and randomizing. Stirs and shuffles things up.

Defender
May 16, 2009
SparkleTude on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:
A water school. There is no water school.

An air school. There is no air school (Maybe balance, not sure.)

I guess Life is earth. And you have Fire as well.

Air, Water, Wind, Fire. Those are pretty much the elements? One or two seem to be missing.

Oh and maybe the Random school. Sort of along the lines of a jokester or a trickster, or Kali, something that is mischievous and randomizing. Stirs and shuffles things up.
Ice is literally a water school, as ice is just frozen water.

Storm can also be water with a lot of underwater-monster themed spells, and Tempest which literally hurls a wave of water at the entire enemy team.

As for air.... dunno. To be honest, the classical four elements theme just doesn't seem to fit within the Wizard101 universe and its magic system. The schools each represent something more abstract than just "air, water, earth, and fire.) For example:
Balance literally represents balance and order in the world.
Life represents spirit, life itself, and existence.
Death represents finality, and the corporeal.
Myth represents the imagination of our minds, illusion, and dreams.
Storm, Fire, and Ice represent primal magic and fury of The Spiral. Myth, Life, and Death all derive from these three schools.
The Astral schools represent change and enhancement in multiple forms, whether by polymorphing, enchanting, or auras.
Shadow magic represents the ability to bend reality to your whim.

You could argue that Water could represent life as water is a source of life, but that role is already covered by the Life school. You could say that Water represents an unbridled rage, but that's already covered by three other schools. The same goes for a school of Air.

To simply put, I do not think a School of Air or Water have a place in The Spiral's many forms of magic because they don't seem to fit anywhere.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Spark Plasma on Aug 30, 2016 wrote:
Ice is literally a water school, as ice is just frozen water.

Storm can also be water with a lot of underwater-monster themed spells, and Tempest which literally hurls a wave of water at the entire enemy team.

As for air.... dunno. To be honest, the classical four elements theme just doesn't seem to fit within the Wizard101 universe and its magic system. The schools each represent something more abstract than just "air, water, earth, and fire.) For example:
Balance literally represents balance and order in the world.
Life represents spirit, life itself, and existence.
Death represents finality, and the corporeal.
Myth represents the imagination of our minds, illusion, and dreams.
Storm, Fire, and Ice represent primal magic and fury of The Spiral. Myth, Life, and Death all derive from these three schools.
The Astral schools represent change and enhancement in multiple forms, whether by polymorphing, enchanting, or auras.
Shadow magic represents the ability to bend reality to your whim.

You could argue that Water could represent life as water is a source of life, but that role is already covered by the Life school. You could say that Water represents an unbridled rage, but that's already covered by three other schools. The same goes for a school of Air.

To simply put, I do not think a School of Air or Water have a place in The Spiral's many forms of magic because they don't seem to fit anywhere.
Ice is also Air. (Ice Giants Rule the Sky) Storm is largely water and shares it with Ice.

Rock is parts of Balance (Sand, Steele Giant etc.) and also Myth Earthquake.

Also Avalon doesn't have a formal school Fianna Yellowknife says "Avalon has no school like your Ravenwood." So maybe if you consider Academies as more than just a bunch of schools in a circle then it does, but there is no Avalon Academy. I believe the same to be true of Mooshu perhaps it's a collection of dispersed Dojo's that count as a school. I don't know.

I also don't think that I would consider the Arcanum an Academy-it's beyond Academy status though it is based on the same circular format.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
exp613 on Aug 30, 2016 wrote:
Ice is also Air. (Ice Giants Rule the Sky) Storm is largely water and shares it with Ice.

Rock is parts of Balance (Sand, Steele Giant etc.) and also Myth Earthquake.

Also Avalon doesn't have a formal school Fianna Yellowknife says "Avalon has no school like your Ravenwood." So maybe if you consider Academies as more than just a bunch of schools in a circle then it does, but there is no Avalon Academy. I believe the same to be true of Mooshu perhaps it's a collection of dispersed Dojo's that count as a school. I don't know.

I also don't think that I would consider the Arcanum an Academy-it's beyond Academy status though it is based on the same circular format.
Well Water, Wind and Rock are heavy elemental themes throughout Mooshu; the Jade Palace even has a Water Dojo and a Rock Dojo. So if Mooshu does have a dispersed dojo academy, then I think the places to look for are already in-game. And on your note about Fianna Yellowknife, she doesn't actually say that. She says:

'I did not go to any magic school like your Ravenwood'

So it's entirely plausable there is one somewhere within the Weirwood's forests. But thanks to you and everyone who shared their ideas and opinions.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Well, I'm sure you all know the world of the spiral better than I do (I mean it.)

I know water changes forms. It's still a potent symbol and an element of its own. Ice isn't the same as water, nor is vapor, etc. Water has completely different lore and symbology.

But since you've all made up your minds no sense saying more ;)