Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Expert dungeons are getting tedious

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 16, 2011
I know someone works hard on new dungeons. They all look the same. I include one shots, malistaire the undying, morganthe, the galleries, rasputin and the new neberyx quest. Tedious is not fun.

My recommendation would be, make the dungeon so you can choose the "easy path" or the "hard road". In the easy path you get the badge and a little gold and you get to move on in the game. On the hard road, that is where all the special drops and gear are.

Tardiness issue has to go. There is no way for all the wizards to get in at the same time. Take it out of the game entirely. It does not add to fun, its annoying.

It would be great if friends could teleport to any dungeon they are high enough to get into. Good luck getting a group of 4 to go all the way in Malistaire the undying. My friends would port in if they could.

I just want to play. The new dungeons kind of take the fun out of it. It becomes something you just have to push through to continue the game. Bring back fun, that's what I say

Explorer
Apr 15, 2012
I have experienced such trouble trying to do Malistaire the Undying on my death wizard.
Nobody ever wants to do a full run, and hardly anyone wants to do it at all.

How are some people supposed to get their gear if they can never find anyone to group up for it?

They need a solo mode in the game.

Explorer
Dec 10, 2008
The school of Death IS solo-mode ;D

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Agree that the tardiness cheat gets really stale after the tenth or hundredth time it's reused for a boss fight. Maybe only retain it for the original battles it was featured in (Rattlebones Exalted) and drop or change it in the rest. Maybe retain it ONLY on a couple of balance bosses, which makes sense because they are balance and mana burn is something they do anyway. Give Jawniak something else to do when "early" joiners join.

The other cheats are fairly easy to work around. Do this, don't do that, dispel before you X.

One thing I'd like to see go away permanently is cycling cheats. The ones you cannot do anything to prevent, because they're (A) multiple spells cast consecutively all out-of-turn; and (B) one or more shadow spells stacked on top. If you MUST resort to forcing players to pull out their phones and count turns before the next inexorable tide of massive, ridiculous shadow cheats, at least slip in a secret way to turn off the cheats or prevent/delay them. Example: I can deal with having to wand Shane every so often to keep monster mash away. I can't deal with the aura-blade-aura-shadow-bugs or lulu that cannot be avoided at all no matter what you do, at say Sir Blackwater or Yevgeny.

Separate the "challenging but fun" from the "this definitely creates feelbads and encourages elitism at the sigil". Know the difference. And listen to your fans!

To those responsible for certain mechanics of cheats at Omen and at the Clock tower boss: THANK YOU. Myth has waited centuries to have a central role in dungeon strategy. Now their unique spells are the best choice for your team, going into these instances. I can see the philosophy of creating puzzles is changing, the new suite of cheats for Simon the Sayer or for Ygor/Warden Vissarovich/Detolli are all on-point.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I agree completely. The original one shot dungeons have selectable difficulty. Winterbane and Pagoda (not sure about the others) have auto select difficulty based on the lowest level player entering. Scalability is a mechanic that exists in the game.

So many dungeons since Waterworks are just outright unappealing. It's not just a challenge to complete them, you also have a serious challenge of finding a team to do them with. Waterworks was at least possible with 3 decent players, even if they made one or two mistakes during the final battle. People wanted a variety of schools, but it wasn't critical that teams consisted of only certain schools.

These new dungeons, people won't go with you if you're not the right school. People won't go with you if you don't have the right gear. People will walk out on you if you make even the slightest mistake that interrupts their strategy, because the bosses and cheats are so sensitive that one mistake really can destroy the entire run.

The dungeons are created to be virtually unsoloable thus intending to promote team play, but they've created a whole new level of exclusion unlike anything that's ever been seen in the game before. Some people like that, so I don't think the solution is to take it away.

But scalability is definitely something that should be considered for those who don't find themselves in that group of players who can simply log on at any time and find an instant team to steam roll everything.

Explorer
Apr 15, 2012
Blaze Skullthorn on Aug 5, 2016 wrote:
The school of Death IS solo-mode ;D
Wrong.

Survivor
Feb 25, 2010
I have to completely agree with this thread, the dungeons are becoming a labour rather than a challenge to enjoy.

Back in the days of waterworks and briskbreeze, yes they were a little irritating but you could easily get through them with 3 wizards and a good strategy, and it wasn't something that would take like 4 hours.

To other points raised, yes they are bringing about this elitist idea and it's just unfair, i have tried to re-run darkmoor on numerous occasions but either not been able to find a team for superficial reasons like "there's no storm or life or whatever else" or people just don't have the time for a possible 3-4 hours for like 4 fights and an extremely low chance of a decent drop!

KI need to learn that there's a massive difference between a good challenge and a highly tedious challenge! I've been a player for a fair few years now and as time moves on, i find the game is becoming unbearably annoying.