Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 7-15-16

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello Wizards! It's Friday, and it's a fine time for feedback, so let's chat!

Today, let's focus on Tournaments. There are special rules for some of them. In classic tournaments, you can't use your pets, treasure cards, or amulets. In quick match tournaments, everyone has increased armor piercing, increased damage, and it's limited to 10 minutes. If you could come up with a new tournament rule set, what would it be?

NOTE: before mentioning crit in PVP, please note that were ARE making changes in the next update. More on that soon!

Happy weekend everyone!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
Battle Royale.

A massive cluster of a 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1; An all out clash of mayhem to see who's the very best

Survivor
Sep 29, 2014
How about a Tournament where you can't use any gear but your deck. Full noob gear and No pet. That will be kinda funny and amazing at the same time :D

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Oh boy, I imagine this will be a fairly lively topic for some PVP people out there!

I really like the idea of having a Dampened Magic Duel (I had this at the start of this month. You can see here for original post of my idea). So I think that that would be a fun unique PVP type/Tournament Type. I think if we upped it to a 4 pip limit that would be great. It would also be a bit of a nostalgic nod to the Old Dampen Magic TC (which thankfully was removed).

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Hmm Mega Damage edition?
  • Player health x10
  • no shields or weaknesses (or they are half as effective)

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Something with a new specific pvp mode battle circle would be cool. We've used the same battle circle for EVERYTHING since the very beginning of the game, and I think based off of player-created pvp circles through housing glitches, it has shown to make things a lot more spicy and interesting. For example, a free for all battle circle spaced differently so it doesn't look like it's a 4v4 but equal spacing (if that makes sense?), but rather everyone for themselves. And with different colors etc. spicy.

Survivor
May 07, 2013
'Level Playing Field'

You provide the 'gear' and the spell deck & we provide the skill & hope to get lucky with how the spell cards turn up.

(Possibly even giving us the opportunity to play as a class of wizard not our own)

'School League'

Battling only our own school - who can rise up through the rank to become 'Teacher's Pet'?

Special prize for the 'Class Dunce' (making losing less unpalatable - or at least, hope so - I'd kind of enjoy a hat pointed hat with a big D on it - but that could just be me, lol.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
It may be stretching the definition of "new rule set" a bit, but with spell animations eating up an unpredictable amount of time, perhaps you could change the time limit to a turn limit.

Defender
Feb 26, 2012
Alexander Lionhear... on Jul 15, 2016 wrote:
Battle Royale.

A massive cluster of a 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1; An all out clash of mayhem to see who's the very best
I love this idea.

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
Would love to see a deck only tourney. (No other gear allowed ).

Survivor
Sep 27, 2009
You can only use banned spells tourney, Plus you have to be un-equiped everything but your deck.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
A *TRULY* classic tournament.

-No critical/block
-No armor piercing
-No shadow pips
-No stun resist
-The same no pets and amulets rule

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Alexander Lionhear... on Jul 15, 2016 wrote:
Battle Royale.

Not a terrible idea, Alex!

There may be a few flaws at first, but my idea of How To Fix PvP should be able to smooth the rough edges and make your idea a reality!

The idea of How To Fix PvP basically emphasizes that both players in a 1v1 or even a 4v4 should enter planning phase separately, rather than both sides choosing a card at the same time. It allows the wizard going second to react to the actions of the wizard going first, which should fix pvp altogether.

However, your idea of a 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 would work slightly differently. Each player would have an individual planning phase like Pirate101's Battle Royale!

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
It is great to hear that critical issues will be addressed in this new update! However, I have been a player of this game for six, almost seven years, and have been a warlord in all three ages on almost all wizards on my two accounts. As the "eras," as I like to call them, of this game progress , the records of myself and my friends decline, although as time goes on we become better and better at PvP strategy and the real fundamentals. While I greatly applaud the KI team for tackling the issue of critical, I believe more change is needed. The tournament type I propose is that it is, effectively, a "Blast From the Past." A level 60-70 cap would be imposed and there would restrictions on gear, spells, and pet talents only in the game at the specified time frame. Too often now is strategy thrown out the window in PvP. I would suggest that this also be taken a step further, and a separate arena created using first age specific gear/pets/strategies! While I understand that this game is a "family friendly" atmosphere, I must point out that a majority of the players in the arena are now young adults who started playing as kids, who have now matured and aged. There is a lack of strategy and the unbalance between incoming damage and healing that must be fixed to keep PvP alive. The REAL goal of the PvP changes should be to make ranked 3v3 and 4v4 matches happen once again. Thank you for taking the time to read my post (a long one, I know) but I have sent emails to KI support such as this to simply get a bot reply. The PvP arena is dying, let's all face it; and the community has deteriorated. We, the loyal players of this game, need Kingsisle's help to fix this. While we need there help, they also need our help. I hope we can work together as a community of loyal wizards to fix these issues.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
dumbug23 on Jul 16, 2016 wrote:
Not a terrible idea, Alex!

There may be a few flaws at first, but my idea of How To Fix PvP should be able to smooth the rough edges and make your idea a reality!

The idea of How To Fix PvP basically emphasizes that both players in a 1v1 or even a 4v4 should enter planning phase separately, rather than both sides choosing a card at the same time. It allows the wizard going second to react to the actions of the wizard going first, which should fix pvp altogether.

However, your idea of a 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 would work slightly differently. Each player would have an individual planning phase like Pirate101's Battle Royale!
I do not see how this will fix PvP. I believe that the game theoretically "flips a coin" to determine first and second turn. I think it is too late to change the turn based system, giving this reaction takes the skill aspect out of PvP and creates a lack of teamwork. TEAMWORK is how 3v3 and 4v4 matches are won; but those matches do not happen anymore. Please read my post on the issue and let me know of what you think of my ideas. I am not saying your idea is bad, but I simply do not understand how it will fix any of the issues currently with the PvP system.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2011
Tournament where there are no blades, traps, auras or enhanced spells allowed. Also no TC allowed. Just spells in your deck and those given by your gear. Just 10 rounds and most damage done wins. But a more more interesting would be no decks and most damage after 6 round wins. Just a balance wizard with a proposal.

Explorer
Jul 17, 2012
I see several people posted wanting a dual that was only the deck of cards.This could be interesting. I would add having a basic wand so players could have 6 wand hits of 100 zero pip say. One idea I think of is to have the deck of cards be only the cards that all wizards can get with training points. This would mean no cards allowed that are gotten from a boss drop or a pack or a jewel or crafting. TC could be allowed but must be TC easily gotten from the bizarre or maybe have a TC seller outside the dueling area that sells TC that is allowed in the PVP and restrict all other TC. That way players would know that the only TC they would see in the duel was TC from the PvP TC seller. Have these TC be low in price bought with gold so no crafted TC. There could be two types of dueling rules for this one would be spells that all can buy with training points only and the other type could be allow all the spells gotten from being the school the wizard is.

Defender
Apr 14, 2014
This might sound a little weird, but I had to send an idea out.

How about a tourney where the following are removed:

-Astral spells
-Critical and Block*
-Shadow

*Okay, so maybe removing this might not appeal to a whole crowd, but generally removing everything (aside from gear) that came out after Dragonspyre. Maybe we could call it the First Arc Tourney.

Catherine Rainbowsong

70 (I think)

Explorer
Apr 25, 2010
Survivor
May 31, 2011
I think a new set of rules would be to not allow people to use spells like shields, boosts, criticals, and a few spells that get rid of charms and shields. Tournaments in my opinion are to compete with others but sometimes people would put up so many things that it's pretty much impossible to do damage and I don't want to use the fire spell that steals charms.

Sophia Drakeshield

Survivor
Apr 11, 2011
School teams. You join the tournament and chose 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 then based on your school and choice you are in ,,,,,or team where you are players same school in one team. So its every school vs every and then the school with the most points wins. The tournament might take a lot because there will have to be lots of matches until every school fights with every. And then the arena might be decorated for a period of time with the winner school's signs and things like that. Hope you like it!

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
Cass MoonHeart on Jul 16, 2016 wrote:
Would love to see a deck only tourney. (No other gear allowed ).
I like this idea. A natural stats PvP face-off!

~Vanessa Mythdust

Survivor
Oct 18, 2011
Some buffs to pre level 100 myth. My level 72 myth is stuck in the elephant graveyard and I don't know if is the fact I created the character when I was 7 or 8 but i am having troubles with it

ps. make crafting in DS easier

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Well... Oh, what the hey?

"Classic Bout"

Rules: No Astral spells & Shadow spells of all types allowed. Damage, traps, blades, shields, & heal spells allowed, Reshuffles included.

That's a big nod to the past days where these spells weren't added in updates yet, just not the new damage spells.

"Carnage of Shadow"

Rules: No Astral Spells of every type allowed. Shadow spells of all kinds are allowed, with all other spells included. Temporary Shadow Pip increase: 4 Shadow Pips.

"Singular Schooling"

Rules: No trained school spells out of Wizards' class choices allowed, like Life spells for Storm Wizards, E.G., Mastery Amulets & all other school mastery amulets of all kinds included. Only Wizards' can use their class chosen spells, like Fire spells for Fire Wizards only.

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Ryan StormStalker on Jul 16, 2016 wrote:
I do not see how this will fix PvP. I believe that the game theoretically "flips a coin" to determine first and second turn. I think it is too late to change the turn based system, giving this reaction takes the skill aspect out of PvP and creates a lack of teamwork. TEAMWORK is how 3v3 and 4v4 matches are won; but those matches do not happen anymore. Please read my post on the issue and let me know of what you think of my ideas. I am not saying your idea is bad, but I simply do not understand how it will fix any of the issues currently with the PvP system.
Yes, there will always be a 50/50 chance of being first or second, but I'm not looking to change that part of PVP.

How To Fix PVP addresses the major disadvantage of going second in a PVP match. It basically separates player A's planning phase from player B's planning phase.

The idea comes from Pirate101's system of PVP where each team regardless of being first or not, gets a separate planning phase from everyone else whether it's 1v1 or Battle Royale.

It's NOT changing the turn based system much, it just lets player B plan separately from player A so that being second isn't such a big disadvantage.

If you still need clarification on how this will impact Wizard101's TEAM PVP, it is explained below.

Phase 1: Team A goes first, while team B waits for Team A to chose their cards. Both Teams get their pip.

Phase 2: After Team A's turn, it is team B's turn to choose their cards. No pips are received during Team B's turn.

Phase 3: After Team B's turn, the round is officially over and it is back to Team A's turn.

Phase 4: Repeat from Phase 2.

Hope that cleared some confusion. It just lets each player choose their spell individually, rather than having player B constantly having to be careful about guessing what player A will do.