Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 7-8-16

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Happy Friday, Wizards! It's time for another topic, so let's get to it, shall we?

Today, I'd like to talk about what helps us navigate our way around the Spiral - our user interface (all the buttons, chat boxes, spell book, pop up screens - anything you click on to interact with the game). If you could change ONE THING about the UI in Wizard, what would it be? Would you change the colors? Get rid of or add some buttons? Let us know!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Survivor
Feb 04, 2011
Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
I think it should be easier to request friendship during battle. I know now that the way to do it is to have the chat box open and click the wizard's name therein (which is only possible if that wizard has been chatting). However, that's tricky.

I understand that there are complications during spell selection because one needs to be able to select a character on whom to direct a spell, but maybe there's a way to do it? Maybe once one's spell is chosen and directed, one can click on a wizard just as one would outside of battle?

Actually, an easier solution would be if the "friends" doohickey on the upper right included, in addition to "friends", "all friends", "group" and "blocked", a tab for "nearby" wizards?

Your latest update mentions that changes will be made to the "friends" doohickey, so perhaps this has been addressed. If not, is there time to add this capability before the updates go live?

Thanks. :-)

Survivor
Apr 05, 2011
Professor Falmea on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
Happy Friday, Wizards! It's time for another topic, so let's get to it, shall we?

Today, I'd like to talk about what helps us navigate our way around the Spiral - our user interface (all the buttons, chat boxes, spell book, pop up screens - anything you click on to interact with the game). If you could change ONE THING about the UI in Wizard, what would it be? Would you change the colors? Get rid of or add some buttons? Let us know!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
When looking at a fish in the game it would be nice to know what the school of the fish is. Another change would be to show what the number on a blade or trap is. This would be real helpful in long boss fights. Finally when doing daily assignments there is no indication as to where to go for which make it difficult to figure out where to go if you do not remember exactly where something is.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I would LOVE to see a Farming Mode option, where we can skip all the dialog, dungeon warnings and just do what we want to. Sure, we can toggle dungeon warnings, but can we toggle Darkmoor's Malistaire text and cut screens? Nope, and after the first time, at least for me, I dont care what it says; Ive already seen/read it. This should ONLY be available after your first time thru any specific dungeon. Think of how much faster Aquila, Helephant Tower, Waterworks, Darkmoor, The Galleries, Morganthe, The Rat, and tons of other farming sigils would be with this one option that wouldnt affect the fight length or drop rate at all

Survivor
Jun 02, 2016
I would change what buttons on the keyboard corresponded to certain actions. Like the END button on the keyboard would send your either home or back the main safe area in whatever world you're in. I would change that because I use a laptop and I sometime hit the END button without meaning it too.

Robert ShadowBlade
student

Survivor
Sep 14, 2012
I'd really like to see us able to hover our mouse at the top of the screen and have the options drop down a la Pirate101. It's a nuisance to keep hitting escape, then quit, then quit again, when we could simply have the character information, quest log, crowns/membership and help/options buttons appear there, with a different drop down for each button (and changing characters and quitting the game being two of the choices). I find I go through the pirates much faster when visiting wishing wells/tasking crew/training pets than I ever can in Wizard101, different pet training styles notwithstanding. And I'm less likely to accidentally quit the game in Pirate101.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
I am severely visually impaired. That means I have to play by myself. I cannot play or fight with others (and they frequently mistake it for rudeness) because I cannot see the CHAT messages. I frequently end up pulling the wrong spell or doing something that gets me killed. I can't change that (and I doubt you can either), but it would be nice to be able to talk to others.

PLEASE increase the size of that chat box! Make it optional so that players who need to can enlarge it and enlarge the font used. You have more visually impaired players than you think!

Thanks!
Suzanne

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
I would replace the current battle circle with the 3d commercial battle circle

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
Another idea: quests should have background shades that differentiate between side quests and the main questline.

Last night, I joined up with a couple of wizards in pitch black lake in azteca, for an instance battle that we all thought was on the main questline. At the end, we went to the NPC, he said thanks, and that was it. We were all surprised.

It was rather confusing for me since, among my open quests prior to that battle I had FIVE that were basically "Enter this cave", three in the lake, two in tierra. It's no wonder we lost track.

Survivor
Nov 02, 2012
Well, I'm not sure how to word this properly, but sometimes when I right click to remove a card from my active hand, it will remove the wrong card (instead picking the card to the left or the right of the card I wanted) and has cost me some potential wins in the past. It's not a huge deal and doesn't happen often, but I'm guessing it's caused by some sort of lag? That's my best guess anyways.

In any case, other than that, I have nothing but praise for the UI- and in fact the UI and the way it's set up (nice and big, easy-to-read fonts, colours that are easy on the eyes) is the main reason why I prefer Wizard101 over games with similar genres.

I'm certain there's probably other things but the last time I played was a few days ago and I can't quite remember everything.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2013
I would like to make a suggestion about a follow option. It would get placed in the character menu options where add to friend, go to location, chats, trade, hatch, ignore, report, add to group options are.

With the follow option basically you can click on the character and select follow and then follow that character around automatically when that character moves.

I think this would be good for a variety of situations, for example on boxes that do that "tardiness" cheat, if you're all set to follow the leader in the ring you're group makes it in to avoid that cheat. Another situation would be say you're questing with someone and suddenly you or that person has to go afk for a few seconds and neither characters leave their teleport option on. The one having to go afk for a moment could set to follow and by the time they get back they would have kept up.

Mounted players could keep up with those on foot or on mounts. Those on foot could keep up with others on foot but could not keep up with those on mounts.

I would love this option. I hope others see the benefits in having it. Please consider making this a new option available to all wizards. Thanks!

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Here are some buttons and features that can be added, disabled, or removed to enhance game play

Disable the Number 1 & 7 Keys on the Number Pad
- Sometimes in battle, or in the middle of a quest, these buttons accidentally get pressed, sending wizards to other than intended locations.

Add Away From Keyboard (AFK) Button/Icon

Sometimes a player is AFK, but no one in the game knows or remembers this. Add a button, or automating having an AFK Icon appear over the wizard's head would address and correct this issue.

Add Daily Assignment Arrow or Pop-Up Reminder

Allows an arrow or pop-up to appear on the screen to show or state where a wizard has to go to access or complete assignment.

Create a better spell access UI Interface panel

Instead of having six random spells appear in battles, have designated spells slots wizards select that force which force spells shall appear. I.e. Have 2 Attack Spell Slots, 2 Heal Spell Slots, 2 Support Spell slots, etc... These designated spell slots can either be defaulted as above, or the Wizard is allowed to define what each spell slot shall be. This shall allow the most commonly used spells by the wizard to appear faster, and what specific order they become available.
- WHAT - have a powerful wizard have better command of all their spells when and where they want to use them; that's crazy talk!

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
On Pirates101, the quest finder arrow displays a "+" if you need to go through what I call a "load doar" One good example of a "load door" is stepping into/out of your dorm.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2011
I have an idea for making it easier to use henchmen since some people are at the disadvantage of their internet speed and connection (LAG): pre-buying henchmen, at a max of four or five. When the duel begins, all available henchmen appear along with the card hand. You select a henchman before you select a card to be put into play. If you aren't going to use a henchman at the time, you just select a game card and continue play as normal.

I've been at the mercy of lag ruining my game play by, not only not being able to purchase a henchman, but also missing my timed turn.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2009
I would like to see some way to "lock" a phrase in the Favorites part of the chat menu so you don't have to go hunting for it all the time.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2010
1. Make the UI customizable. We can move where the chat bubble is, but everything else can't be moved. I might want to move where my potions go, keep my friends list somewhere else or hide it entirely, or get rid of the compass. I feel there are too many buttons I don't use (I'm looking at you, Spellbook), and that making it possible to remove or add to your own UI would be pretty great. Maybe have a section in settings that facilitates this.

2. Make everything condensed and less bulky. The spell book, compass and ports, friends list, and crown shop buttons take up the 4 corners of the screen (admittedly some corners are less covered than others). Maybe having a strip of buttons along the bottom that has all of those, or make certain similar buttons collapsible. For example, instead of having multiple port buttons, have 1 where you hover over it to get the other options. The same can be done with potions instead of having up to 4 take up the screen. You might even be able to have a number over a single potion to see how many you have available out of your max.

Basically I don't like how cluttered the current UI feels, and I think it can do with a more streamlined overhaul to make it less bulky and large.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2010
I don't think I have anything that I feel is necessary to change, but what about adding a stats page? For example, how many mobs you have killed in your wizard career. How much gold you have acquired throughout the game. I know under the fishing page you can see how many fish you have caught total, so it would be interesting to see other stats young wizards have accomplished throughout their time playing the game. It would also be interesting to have more badges for killing mobs in general, or some of these other stats. Such as Gold Digger badge. Sorry for the little tanget about another topic, but I still think it can partially relate with the UI under the Badges or now a Statistics Tab.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2010
I would add facial hair for the guys like: beard, mustache, goti, etc lol. It would give more looks to choose from like the hairstyles. For the women, I would add maybe a touch of makeup. It would be nice to see the hairstyles more movable as opposed to just sitting stiff lol.

The makeup and facial hair could also be won from battles too. I would also add earrings, bracelets and belts we could also add gems to.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2015
I'd like to see a "select all" feature, kind of like what's already used in the quicksell function, but for feeding things to pets, trashing items, and selling things in the bazaar. That would save so much clicking!

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
Change the options page to a single list with a scroll bar. Also add a button that turns off the icons that show NPC and quest item locations on the map.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
If a menu is open, ESC should close it instead of opening the Options menu.

Also add a "Manage Friends" menu where you can mass-remove friends (e. g. those who haven't been active for some time)?

Survivor
Jul 28, 2012
The only change I can think of has to do with recipes in the crafting section of the spellbook. Every time you close that part of the spellbook, say to get some reagents out of your shared bank, and reopen it to make sure you have all the reagents you need to craft said recipe, you have to sift through a mountain of recipes just to find the recipe you are working with. So basically if I had the opportunity to change part of the UI it would be so that the last recipe accessed would be the default recipe pulled up and displayed whenever that section is reopened.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2012
I would change how it shows what type of chat we have like for menu chat/text chat it has a white chat bubble next to our name. I rather this was not there so I would put it on the character profile list or something. I like to have a clear name title without the bubble like open players have it

Survivor
Dec 09, 2012
Professor Falmea on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:

Dear Dalia Falmea,

I think a great thing to change in game would be making it easier to block critical hit for pve and pvp because when some one critical hits with a 50% rating and you have a higher block, you would think that you would block that critical hit. How it is working now in game is that a person that has a 50% critical hit rate can go through a higher block, which you should stop easier.

Brandon SkullBlood, Level 97 Fire Wizard