Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spell updates

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 17, 2018
I know this is kind of weird to say, but me and my friends (who also play the game) have been wondering why the spells changed. They lowered in damage and took away the parts of the spells that make it worth getting in the first place. We question why we should get to max level if the damage is the same as spells you get from level 70 or provide no use to them. Of course, this update was new to use considering we've played for pretty much 7 years now. (I had another account before this one). So anyways, that is my question, I hope it isn't taken the wrong way and have a splendid day!

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
So the biggest reason was the game at launch wasnt meant to last 10+ years so the original balance of the spells and gear was a hockey stick curve and we had crossed into the upward part already. This led to SERIOUS balance issues in the game. The spells are still very good (since they also lowered enemy hp) and allow them to continue making wiz content for years to come which is what the goal should always be! for more info ratbeard did a great article on the audit as a whole https://www.wizard101.com/game/dev-diary/spell-balance-audit

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome to The Forums!

The spells were altered in a massive attempt at balancing the game and enhancing it's longevity.

Ratbeard and the entire KI Team involved explains it beautifully here,

I encourage you to pursue this link to garner a much better understanding.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/dev-diary/spell-balance-audit

Survivor
Jan 17, 2018
I get it is to balance out the game but I think some of the cards needed the things that come with them because it helped the player with their own school. Example, gnomes gave dispels which helped with preventing the boss from doing the spell. In my opinion, if that is also the case, I suggest to balance out the bosses as well. Which means, no boss should be able to do what the card used to do. (So for an example, a storm boss with glowbugs shouldn't be able to take away all the blades like the old one did).

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
QueenShadowyt on Sep 1, 2020 wrote:
I get it is to balance out the game but I think some of the cards needed the things that come with them because it helped the player with their own school. Example, gnomes gave dispels which helped with preventing the boss from doing the spell. In my opinion, if that is also the case, I suggest to balance out the bosses as well. Which means, no boss should be able to do what the card used to do. (So for an example, a storm boss with glowbugs shouldn't be able to take away all the blades like the old one did).
The same spells we are using are the same ones bosses are using too (except in some extreme circumstances where we face cheating, higher tier bosses).

So, a regular storm boss using glow bugs or even a mob will having an original damage setting of 940 without any additional utility.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2018
Star Edward on Sep 2, 2020 wrote:
The same spells we are using are the same ones bosses are using too (except in some extreme circumstances where we face cheating, higher tier bosses).

So, a regular storm boss using glow bugs or even a mob will having an original damage setting of 940 without any additional utility.

I completely understand that, although, there are some non-cheating bosses (like ones in Empyrea and I think Mirage as well) that use the original one as a shadow only spell. It is the original card but switched to the school. For me and my sister, we view it as unfair but of course, this is a new update to us since we've been playing the game for years with the original cards. Anyways, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions and concerns to the game.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
QueenShadowyt on Sep 2, 2020 wrote:
I completely understand that, although, there are some non-cheating bosses (like ones in Empyrea and I think Mirage as well) that use the original one as a shadow only spell. It is the original card but switched to the school. For me and my sister, we view it as unfair but of course, this is a new update to us since we've been playing the game for years with the original cards. Anyways, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions and concerns to the game.
Hey, just so your aware the intention is to have them use the same hits as our wizards, so if you notice any bosses using the old versions (note shadow versions can be different but worth mentioning prehaps) make a post about it! They surely missed a few but the intention is to have everyone and everymob be equal!