Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 In The Time of COVID-19

AuthorMessage
Champion
Sep 01, 2009
We are in the midst of a global pandemic. People have lost their jobs, folks are struggling financially, and very few of us have money for crowns. What if KI dedicated one day a week to making items in the crown shop available for gold? A day where every mount and pet could be purchased for gold? A day where gear bundles could be purchased for gold? Even a day where hoard packs could be purchased for gold? And not a member-only benefit, a day for every player.

Farming for gold is fairly easy. You can garden, you can fish, you can battle bosses, heck, you can craft the Darkmoor tapestry and run the wooden chests in 30 different realms. You can amass quite a lot of gold pretty quickly.

In the time of COVID-19, perhaps KI needs to look at creating a different playing experience, one that doesn't require players spending real money, but allows us to use in-game gold for items, gear, etc. Companies like KI have to come to grips with the fact that not many of us no longer have discretionary income, and even if we do, we can't afford to spend it on a game.

Understand, I am in no way saying KI shouldn't make money. What I am saying is that right now, KI needs to change their business model, albeit temporarily, because so many people have been forced into financial situations not of our own making.

I hope KI takes this to heart, and I look forward to feedback both from KI and the community.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2014
Snee432 on Aug 4, 2020 wrote:
We are in the midst of a global pandemic. People have lost their jobs, folks are struggling financially, and very few of us have money for crowns. What if KI dedicated one day a week to making items in the crown shop available for gold? A day where every mount and pet could be purchased for gold? A day where gear bundles could be purchased for gold? Even a day where hoard packs could be purchased for gold? And not a member-only benefit, a day for every player.

Farming for gold is fairly easy. You can garden, you can fish, you can battle bosses, heck, you can craft the Darkmoor tapestry and run the wooden chests in 30 different realms. You can amass quite a lot of gold pretty quickly.

In the time of COVID-19, perhaps KI needs to look at creating a different playing experience, one that doesn't require players spending real money, but allows us to use in-game gold for items, gear, etc. Companies like KI have to come to grips with the fact that not many of us no longer have discretionary income, and even if we do, we can't afford to spend it on a game.

Understand, I am in no way saying KI shouldn't make money. What I am saying is that right now, KI needs to change their business model, albeit temporarily, because so many people have been forced into financial situations not of our own making.

I hope KI takes this to heart, and I look forward to feedback both from KI and the community.
While your idea is admirable and I applaud you for your efforts in making this possible for both F2P players and for crown players; It is something that is going to be using up more resources than KI probably has at the moment. Sure I would like to see our store littered with gold items (something I wished for years before this pandemic) but in honesty KI while they have our interests at heart and they give us an ear to our concerns, it is something that just wont be feasible even in the financial situation. While I am one of the few people who only lost my job for 2 months while moving positions in a government role, the real money aspect of any MMORPG is going to remain in tact, we may not have discretionary income, but discretion in general is up to each individual player. I could very well see them doing a sale for packs for like 199 crowns or 100 crowns if they wanted to deepen the sale, but from a business standpoint it is just not possible. KI would lose too much in the deal and then what would become of our spiral; remember the threads of any business (virtual/brick and mortar, work at home etc) are just as fragile as anything else and if not carefully tended to through swift action can crumble beneath us and the spiral and its skyways and all other glories would be a memory of the past.

This pandemic has caused us to look deeply into our lifestyles and for some it has brought out the ugly green eyed monster ( and its not just envy) in us and caused us to wage our own little wars among each other. Look at other boards like PSO2 and other MMORPGS ... there is constant arguments and bickering. I replied to a thread regarding the "looks" that it seems the community "hates" so much and they are "uninstalling" the game or they feel betrayed by KI due to the new update; Sad reality is despite this pandemic KI is flourishing thanks to us and our imaginations; while most may feel their plights fall on deaf ears it is time that we need to take these posts and these situations a little more seriously and look at what do we expect for the future; not just what KI can hand us on a silver platter. Karamelle is supposed to be a decent new world; I am both excited about this world and feel that feeling of " its about time" but yet the "its about time" is only because I spend my time lurking on these forums and there is just way too much "blood" in the water and it seems like those players who are bored with their lives are trying to be sharks and eating at those of us who are patient and have adult lives to live... It is completely unfair especially when what your asking ISNT impossible but rather KI has to deem it necessary to allow the temporary cut in profits long enough to sustain such a campaign.

Honestly, I truly think we all need to look at what we are truly wanting from this point forward; because if the community doesn't do that little thing, how are we to EXPECT something as your proposing to even happen. KI can easily say sorry we just don't have the "budget" to run this campaign due to X and because of Y we are planning on doing Z. They may never come out and say this; but for those of us gamers who have been around since the beginning both pre 1999 and during the golden era before WOW 1999-2003 ... which im from the pre 1999 console war surivor... we know that we can see the game starting to hemorrhage a little because of the constant demands.

Its about time despite the financial aspect of your post; we turn our attention to what really matters, a community coming together rather than ripping each other apart; its time this community shows its maturity and actually says THANK YOU for a change. We should NOT have to take to FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM in order to find decent people to play with. but yet its a sad reality because people want whats easy and what they can control within the confines of their small boxes. The wizard 101 world needs saving by means of its community; continue to bicker and beg for things and certainly as grandmother raven made it clear; you are speeding up its inevitable demise... We can change this path; but only when this community Grows UP.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
RunedMaster on Aug 4, 2020 wrote:
While your idea is admirable and I applaud you for your efforts in making this possible for both F2P players and for crown players; It is something that is going to be using up more resources than KI probably has at the moment. Sure I would like to see our store littered with gold items (something I wished for years before this pandemic) but in honesty KI while they have our interests at heart and they give us an ear to our concerns, it is something that just wont be feasible even in the financial situation. While I am one of the few people who only lost my job for 2 months while moving positions in a government role, the real money aspect of any MMORPG is going to remain in tact, we may not have discretionary income, but discretion in general is up to each individual player. I could very well see them doing a sale for packs for like 199 crowns or 100 crowns if they wanted to deepen the sale, but from a business standpoint it is just not possible. KI would lose too much in the deal and then what would become of our spiral; remember the threads of any business (virtual/brick and mortar, work at home etc) are just as fragile as anything else and if not carefully tended to through swift action can crumble beneath us and the spiral and its skyways and all other glories would be a memory of the past.

This pandemic has caused us to look deeply into our lifestyles and for some it has brought out the ugly green eyed monster ( and its not just envy) in us and caused us to wage our own little wars among each other. Look at other boards like PSO2 and other MMORPGS ... there is constant arguments and bickering. I replied to a thread regarding the "looks" that it seems the community "hates" so much and they are "uninstalling" the game or they feel betrayed by KI due to the new update; Sad reality is despite this pandemic KI is flourishing thanks to us and our imaginations; while most may feel their plights fall on deaf ears it is time that we need to take these posts and these situations a little more seriously and look at what do we expect for the future; not just what KI can hand us on a silver platter. Karamelle is supposed to be a decent new world; I am both excited about this world and feel that feeling of " its about time" but yet the "its about time" is only because I spend my time lurking on these forums and there is just way too much "blood" in the water and it seems like those players who are bored with their lives are trying to be sharks and eating at those of us who are patient and have adult lives to live... It is completely unfair especially when what your asking ISNT impossible but rather KI has to deem it necessary to allow the temporary cut in profits long enough to sustain such a campaign.

Honestly, I truly think we all need to look at what we are truly wanting from this point forward; because if the community doesn't do that little thing, how are we to EXPECT something as your proposing to even happen. KI can easily say sorry we just don't have the "budget" to run this campaign due to X and because of Y we are planning on doing Z. They may never come out and say this; but for those of us gamers who have been around since the beginning both pre 1999 and during the golden era before WOW 1999-2003 ... which im from the pre 1999 console war surivor... we know that we can see the game starting to hemorrhage a little because of the constant demands.

Its about time despite the financial aspect of your post; we turn our attention to what really matters, a community coming together rather than ripping each other apart; its time this community shows its maturity and actually says THANK YOU for a change. We should NOT have to take to FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM in order to find decent people to play with. but yet its a sad reality because people want whats easy and what they can control within the confines of their small boxes. The wizard 101 world needs saving by means of its community; continue to bicker and beg for things and certainly as grandmother raven made it clear; you are speeding up its inevitable demise... We can change this path; but only when this community Grows UP.
You make some excellent points, and I agree with all of them. I, too, find the nearly constant complaining quite disheartening, and I hope my post was not seen as such. W101 is where I come to escape the stress of everyday life, and I enjoy playing immensely.

As for the new character faces, I really love them. My wizards have more personality, and I can experiment with new looks. I don't understand why players would be unhappy with this fun aspect of character design.

I also agree with what you wrote about finding people to quest and play with. My max ice is stuck in Empyrea because I am unable to find anyone to help me quest through the end. The last time I tried "team up," I waited for nearly half-an-hour, and finally just gave up. I'm currently participating in Beastmoon Hunt, and continue to run into players who are only in a match for their own points.

I'm compelled to revise my original post, thanks to your well-thought-out response. We don't need more items for gold in the crown shop, we need a community that realizes KI is doing their best during an unprecedented moment in history. So, thank you KI, for a great game, great content, and a fantastic and supportive staff.

And if anyone is interested in helping my max ice finish Empyrea, I am stuck in the Astral Forest. I would very much like to experience Karamelle when it comes out.

Again, thank you KI, and thank you RunedMaster.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2014
Your very welcome Snee. I am sorry I took so long to respond, been going to and from Boston this entire week training to be a USPS window clerk. Passed the academy the other day and now I am just doing OJI before I start my role doing front office work.