Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I want my wizards back, please!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 25, 2014
Uninstalling the game over a overhaul to make our characters be more life like rather than something that appealed to more of what one would expect as a "child". I made the post earlier that people seemed to ignore so let me say this one last time. If you plan on "uninstalling" the game over something so minor; then perhaps stepping outside the wizard world would do you some good. While myself and other players in this community, will be saddened by the absence of players; it is one that will not prevent myself or others from enjoying the game the way it was meant to be.
Granted... I do not play like I used to; however being an essential worker for the US government, I can say that I really feel bad for those who get to enjoy the privilege of sitting at home and complain over a game that does still care about its community. With every decision they make, there will always be someone who doesn't like something and will "uninstall" based on their personal feelings. Feel what you must, but in the end you are choosing to cut your ties over something personal. You write letters, you say things on the forums; but the way to go about change is to let it happen.

We GREW UP on wizard 101 and KI embraced us and released so many goodies and gifts in the 10 years we were apart of the family; and most still are, those who oppose me and this post can walk out that door and I will not feel remorse for saying to not let the door hit you on the way out.... Change is going to be apart of life and if you want to sit there and pout about how your feeling ignored... How about actually showing KI you are mature enough to handle even the simple changes...

Look at all the good KI has done so far

- Everclicker
- Astro Cat
- New World coming soon
- Pirate 101 Ship PvP
- Pirate 101 Shadow Companions
- Last bastion/Stars of the Spiral/ Blaze Lifehammer's Youtube Channel/ W101 Central
*** Too many others to count***

People need to stop being selfish about a game that is made for them but is not OWNED by them. KI has worked effortlessly during this pandemic to give us content and give us new features and tweaks that do or do not work as we expect, but they give us options rather than the usual day to day operations. You think KI live would exist if they kept listening to the community pouting about development on things. Pirate 101 has slowed its development but Ratbeard came back from the Mobile Development team in order to help both P101 and W101 in their own ways. Its about time we accept this change as a good thing and instead of asking for our old looks back how about you ask for more complex housing an increase to the 350 item limit or add more mini games to the arcade package; more housing dungeons outside of crafting them.. You can ask for so much yet many dwell on looks. If you want to be superfluous go ahead.. but all i need to say right now is "GROW UP" your wizards are showing they can grow with the times.. So must you... I dont know about you but if you look at the world around you; its not going to stop just because you "hate" something about it...

Enough is enough and let KI continue to shine its light on the real issues in this community

Explorer
Nov 23, 2011
The eyes are too large now, giving us all a more cartoony look. My wife says our heads are bigger now, oversized for our bodies. She may be right on that one - I am not sure. I just really dislike the eyes becoming so huge.

-Indigo

Survivor
Sep 06, 2010
RunedMaster on Jul 31, 2020 wrote:
Uninstalling the game over a overhaul to make our characters be more life like rather than something that appealed to more of what one would expect as a "child". I made the post earlier that people seemed to ignore so let me say this one last time. If you plan on "uninstalling" the game over something so minor; then perhaps stepping outside the wizard world would do you some good. While myself and other players in this community, will be saddened by the absence of players; it is one that will not prevent myself or others from enjoying the game the way it was meant to be.
Granted... I do not play like I used to; however being an essential worker for the US government, I can say that I really feel bad for those who get to enjoy the privilege of sitting at home and complain over a game that does still care about its community. With every decision they make, there will always be someone who doesn't like something and will "uninstall" based on their personal feelings. Feel what you must, but in the end you are choosing to cut your ties over something personal. You write letters, you say things on the forums; but the way to go about change is to let it happen.

We GREW UP on wizard 101 and KI embraced us and released so many goodies and gifts in the 10 years we were apart of the family; and most still are, those who oppose me and this post can walk out that door and I will not feel remorse for saying to not let the door hit you on the way out.... Change is going to be apart of life and if you want to sit there and pout about how your feeling ignored... How about actually showing KI you are mature enough to handle even the simple changes...

Look at all the good KI has done so far

- Everclicker
- Astro Cat
- New World coming soon
- Pirate 101 Ship PvP
- Pirate 101 Shadow Companions
- Last bastion/Stars of the Spiral/ Blaze Lifehammer's Youtube Channel/ W101 Central
*** Too many others to count***

People need to stop being selfish about a game that is made for them but is not OWNED by them. KI has worked effortlessly during this pandemic to give us content and give us new features and tweaks that do or do not work as we expect, but they give us options rather than the usual day to day operations. You think KI live would exist if they kept listening to the community pouting about development on things. Pirate 101 has slowed its development but Ratbeard came back from the Mobile Development team in order to help both P101 and W101 in their own ways. Its about time we accept this change as a good thing and instead of asking for our old looks back how about you ask for more complex housing an increase to the 350 item limit or add more mini games to the arcade package; more housing dungeons outside of crafting them.. You can ask for so much yet many dwell on looks. If you want to be superfluous go ahead.. but all i need to say right now is "GROW UP" your wizards are showing they can grow with the times.. So must you... I dont know about you but if you look at the world around you; its not going to stop just because you "hate" something about it...

Enough is enough and let KI continue to shine its light on the real issues in this community
I don’t know why anyone’s opinions have you worked up so much. Calling people children on the forums is not only patronizing, but unhelpful to your argument. You can’t dictate what anyone deems worthy of quitting over.

I respect other people’s opinions on the forums, and I’m not mad at people liking the new looks at all. I’m happy people enjoy it, but many people just wanted another option. Regardless, KI Live said that it likely won’t be feasible to change the models to the old ones ever, so we will just have to get used to them. Sad that we couldn’t have both of them, but that’s how it is.

Explorer
May 30, 2010
I find the new faces really creepy now. The female faces you can at least find something appealing somewhere, but the males all look like the worst excesses of the Cabbage Patch Kids crossed with a cartoon version of the Island of Dr. Moreau.

Please make the eyes a little smaller and the eyebrows thinner. Give the young men a break somewhere, at least.

Defender
Feb 03, 2012
Indigo Ring on Jul 31, 2020 wrote:
The eyes are too large now, giving us all a more cartoony look. My wife says our heads are bigger now, oversized for our bodies. She may be right on that one - I am not sure. I just really dislike the eyes becoming so huge.

-Indigo
Really? Wow and I felt the eyes were too small, thus loosing the cute, expressive feel.

Survivor
May 11, 2011
A wizard should not "kindly smile happily" when he/she is getting ready to annihilate the enemy. It is really kinda silly to build up a hit to an astonishing level and when you launch it the character gets this dingbat, silly looking happy smile. I want some toughness and attitude when I am being powerful. Give us some gravitas! Just my two pennies.

Survivor
May 08, 2017
I personally like the new looks and how there are so many options, maybe that is just me though

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
Star Edward on Jul 25, 2020 wrote:
You guys are "knocking" and coming at the game for much needed graphical update aimed at enhancing the longevity of the game.

I feel changes like these are necessary, changes to the graphics, spell animations, etc.

If the game is to grow, then certain aspects of it has to grow and improve as well.

While not all alterations will be welcomed by all players, it doesn't help to outright claim that such changes are "ugly" just because you don't like them.

In fact, Prof Falmea even said that less than 1% of players play on Classic Mode. The other 99+% of players are playing using the new graphical overhaul.

I do agree that in the event where players dislike the current state of their characters, an option should be there to have them reverted to how they looked originally.

But I feel you should give this update and look a chance, allow it some time. It may grow on you instead of outrightingly being so firmly against it.

Have an open mind.

The game cannot stay the same way it has for the last 10+ years. It will become stagnant, boring and repetitive.

I agree with your sentiments. I was put off at first as the faces did seem a little unsettling at first, but like another poster mentioned, I think what would help bridge the gap for those opining and mourning their prior faces are mourning the variations in the look & feel of the expressions available. I think if the team can create more distinct variations in facial mood expressions, mouth/eye/face shapes to reflect those more distinct expression options that that would go along way in making the new graphic update to faces.

As of today 08/25/2020 I really do generally like the new faces that we have as they are now. They are so clean and polished and do feel very new and graphically relevant to the newer content graphics and as they overhaul and update each of the original worlds. They still look and feel like Wiz101 and like they belong in Wiz101 but just fresh and polished up. My *only* gripe is face shape that seems to be a theme with most of the people having issues with feeling comfortable with the new faces as though they are carrying excess baby fat around their jawlines and general face shape framing and cheeks. It's that the jawlines and general face shapes are so rounded and bubble-like, like a mild case of chipmunk cheek. Which as an option is cute as heck, but there needs to be an option to refine the jawlines and have a few subtle jaw shape distinctions so people can make a wiz that's slightly more matured or has a different feel than being bubbly-faced.

Otherwise I love the art and the effort being put into updating the graphical and textural elements of the game. Everything looks beautiful and new and fresh. I eagerly look forward to seeing the updated graphics and art of each of the original worlds over time as they get overhauled.

Gabriel Jadeheart

Explorer
Jul 16, 2016
I agree.

I want my narrow eyes back

Jonathan DawnHunter

Defender
May 27, 2013
My family and I have grown used to the new look, after some serious trial and error.

We had a moment of complete panic on our first login after the update. The larger eyes are a notable problem for those with any level of autism. Fortunately there a couple of smaller eye choices, once one looks for them.

It seems to me that the boy characters seem younger. While I think the same effort was made for the girls, I'm not fond of the weak chin. It kind of struck more like that of an old woman with bone loss. What seems to be be a bit of a chewing motion adds to that effect. We grown used to it, mind you, but it is a little odd.

One might wish to expand the skin tone pallet.

Thanks for the effort KI has been making to keep the game current.

Defender
Feb 03, 2012
KestrelShadowfrien... on Aug 22, 2020 wrote:
A wizard should not "kindly smile happily" when he/she is getting ready to annihilate the enemy. It is really kinda silly to build up a hit to an astonishing level and when you launch it the character gets this dingbat, silly looking happy smile. I want some toughness and attitude when I am being powerful. Give us some gravitas! Just my two pennies.
Aww but I love that part its one of my favorite things about the game. I like smiling happily while bringing peace to the spiral. It lets the bad guys know: no hard feelings and they get to respawn ;)

Defender
Feb 03, 2012
Seriously though, the deep lines on both sides of the nose and mouth make the boys and especially the girls look elderly (older than the average adult. If these lines were heavily softened it would make big difference.

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
They're growing on me. Though, I wish my face looked EXACTLY like it did before the update but with the added animation, I do like the changes.

Defender
Feb 03, 2012
If changes are to happen to faces due to this post or related posts, please don't make them permanent, but give us more options.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2018
I feel that the idea was spot on, but the execution was slightly off. If one aims for a whimsical or innocent expression for their wizard, this update is perfect. However, if one wants literally any other kind of personality to be displayed (seriousness, chillness, anger, etc.), it misses the mark.

I appreciate the change to make every part of the face separate right out of the gate. We can have a certain set of eyes with a different mouth, match eyebrow and hair color, and select our own nose. The glasses are a nice touch. If anyone wants to change their look, they can do so at no great cost. It was a much needed change that I support thoroughly.

The problem lies in the animation (or at least I think so. I'm no expert). The way they blink, the way the lips move - it looks odd. There also isn't enough variety in what facial features we can pick. All of the mouths smile. All the noses look the same. Nearly all the eyes are identical.

There are valid reasons to like it and valid reasons not to. It's really low to try to sum it up to people not being open minded or acting like children.

Survivor
May 11, 2011
After living with my new wizards, as predicted by many, I have grown to like their new looks. I enjoy their expressive faces now. I also discovered that different wands have different facial expressions when casting. I found a wand that I liked the facial expression. I would like to choose casting facial expressions, but that seems like it may be cumbersome to implement. But all in all, I think if we went back now it would look weird to me now.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2016
It is clear that players like different things. Which is human nature. While some like the new look, I see many, like me, do not like the baby look. And that is why I certainly hope KI can make more options and fix that head size and shape so that wizards are more realistic and so those many of us who want "snarky, brave, bold, determined, or even a destroyer" look, can get them. Keep working on it KI! Thanks. I do not want a baby look, thank you.

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
After taking a few month hiatus from the game, I was very surprised to see how different my wizard looked when I logged in again this week. The faces look unsettling and a bit "uncanny valley." My wizard's eyes used to be light blue, but now they are NEON ice blue. I plan to get them changed at the mirror shop at some point, but I honestly don't like any of the other shades I previewed. Her eyes are also super wide now, a change I'm not a fan of.

I think it's awesome that KI continues to upgrade the graphics and made the characters' expressions more "alive." However, these new faces are WAY different from what they were before. It's not worth quitting the game over, but I will admit that I like the way it was before better. It'll take me a bit to get used to.