Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

LGBTQ Recognition in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2011
All the progress happening in Wiz is great to see. I've been an on-and-off player since 2010 (9 years old) and its great to see the game still going strong 10 years later. Now that I'm 19, I have open chat, and its brought a new realm of wizard to me.

However, as I've grown up and understood myself better as a person, I've also learned more about my identity and become proud of it, and now identify as bisexual. Yet, its a shame you're unable to speak about any LGBTQ topics in wizard, as words like "gay" are not allowed by the filter, not even in open chat. I think this should change and these words should be allowed in open chat (but not text chat).

There is one concern and that is players using these words as insults. "That's so gay!" However, these are not as common place as they used to be and are more frowned upon, and a vocal player is likely to call a player out that says this. Plus, a player could be reported for this too if they happen to use it in an insulting manner.

Here's a list of LGBTQ words that are currently filtered that I think would be a great start for progress if they became allowed:
  • gay
  • lesbian
  • lez/les
  • transgender
  • bi

These words should also be uncensored, though it may be a little more difficult because they contain a word that should be censored. But I think it could be coded somehow.

• homosexual(ity)
  • bisexual(ity)
  • pansexual(ity)

Additionally, I think the word "queer" should be allowed, though it should be noted that for some individuals this word is still offensive. However, many have reclaimed this word and used it as part of their identity. It wouldn't be too upsetting if this word was not put in, but it would be nice to see and would be great if it were considered.

If I missed anything, let me know, but I think a change like this would be great for wiz and would make individuals like me feel validated as these topics should be allowed to be talked about everywhere.

Thank you :)

Sean Ashcloud, 130
Isaac, 84
Taylor Swiftstalker, 72
Sophia Frostflower, 56
Sierra Mist, 39

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Mijumaru16055 on Jul 22, 2020 wrote:
All the progress happening in Wiz is great to see. I've been an on-and-off player since 2010 (9 years old) and its great to see the game still going strong 10 years later. Now that I'm 19, I have open chat, and its brought a new realm of wizard to me.

However, as I've grown up and understood myself better as a person, I've also learned more about my identity and become proud of it, and now identify as bisexual. Yet, its a shame you're unable to speak about any LGBTQ topics in wizard, as words like "gay" are not allowed by the filter, not even in open chat. I think this should change and these words should be allowed in open chat (but not text chat).

There is one concern and that is players using these words as insults. "That's so gay!" However, these are not as common place as they used to be and are more frowned upon, and a vocal player is likely to call a player out that says this. Plus, a player could be reported for this too if they happen to use it in an insulting manner.

Here's a list of LGBTQ words that are currently filtered that I think would be a great start for progress if they became allowed:
  • gay
  • lesbian
  • lez/les
  • transgender
  • bi

These words should also be uncensored, though it may be a little more difficult because they contain a word that should be censored. But I think it could be coded somehow.

• homosexual(ity)
  • bisexual(ity)
  • pansexual(ity)

Additionally, I think the word "queer" should be allowed, though it should be noted that for some individuals this word is still offensive. However, many have reclaimed this word and used it as part of their identity. It wouldn't be too upsetting if this word was not put in, but it would be nice to see and would be great if it were considered.

If I missed anything, let me know, but I think a change like this would be great for wiz and would make individuals like me feel validated as these topics should be allowed to be talked about everywhere.

Sean Ashcloud, 130
Isaac, 84
Taylor Swiftstalker, 72
Sophia Frostflower, 56
Sierra Mist, 39
Although it may be “frowned upon” to use those words in a negative manner, that will not stop people from doing so. This could create a very dangerous path as players could get very violent and may offend a group of people. Make no mistake, disallowing these words have nothing to do with you as a person, just that the words may be used for evil instead of good... you know?

Sparck touched on this subject before, and stated that sometimes people like to “escape reality” while playing a video game, and not be pressured by the outside world issues/drama/political views/bullying. I can understand this and thinks it’s probably best, especially if their are young people playing this game who are still trying to identify themselves.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
There was a heated thread on this very subject shortly before test realm launched, I was one of a few who echoed what you are saying here I think these requests are completely reasonable.

The answer we got in that thread from Spark was an agreement with the people in the thread who said they wanted the game to be an escape from the real world and "politics/religion" he also hinted that there were certain moderation tactics that required these words be censored.

The escapist argument however does not hold up to scrutiny, this game permits open chat players to say things like Bible, Jesus, communist, democrat, republican, and a whole host of other words from that world.

More likely what I think Spark has been trying to tell us in a roundabout way is that the filters are put in place to protect the words from being misused, You'll notice that one of the only religious words you cannot say is "Jewish" or "Jew" and I don't think I need to explain why that decision was made.

I don't personally agree with this filter strategy since I think it can be done with the words enabled if they are accompanied by some moderation. But I can understand wanting to fix the problem by banning the words outright even if in my mind it doesn't fix the problem.

Survivor
May 27, 2019

• gay
  • lesbian
  • lez/les
  • transgender
  • bi

• homosexual(ity)
  • bisexual(ity)
  • pansexual(ity)

Sean Ashcloud, 130
Isaac, 84
Taylor Swiftstalker, 72
Sophia Frostflower, 56
Sierra Mist, 39
im straight but for the people who want this it makes sense that they should be able to freely say that they're
gay
lesbian
lez/les
transgender
bi
that is all i have to say / ___ \

Survivor
Dec 14, 2013

• gay
  • lesbian
  • lez/les
  • transgender
  • bi

• homosexual(ity)
  • bisexual(ity)
  • pansexual(ity)

Sean Ashcloud, 130
Isaac, 84
Taylor Swiftstalker, 72
Sophia Frostflower, 56
Sierra Mist, 39
I really would like to see actions towards this be interpreted!

Kimberly ice breeze, 130
Amber sky thief, 56
Esmee summer flower, 40
Sierra moon caster, 2
Savannah unicorn singer, 17
Diana death blossom, 44

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
flamemanox5 on Jul 23, 2020 wrote:
There was a heated thread on this very subject shortly before test realm launched, I was one of a few who echoed what you are saying here I think these requests are completely reasonable.

The answer we got in that thread from Spark was an agreement with the people in the thread who said they wanted the game to be an escape from the real world and "politics/religion" he also hinted that there were certain moderation tactics that required these words be censored.

The escapist argument however does not hold up to scrutiny, this game permits open chat players to say things like Bible, Jesus, communist, democrat, republican, and a whole host of other words from that world.

More likely what I think Spark has been trying to tell us in a roundabout way is that the filters are put in place to protect the words from being misused, You'll notice that one of the only religious words you cannot say is "Jewish" or "Jew" and I don't think I need to explain why that decision was made.

I don't personally agree with this filter strategy since I think it can be done with the words enabled if they are accompanied by some moderation. But I can understand wanting to fix the problem by banning the words outright even if in my mind it doesn't fix the problem.
I think a viable solution to the escapist mentality is to make words surrounding lgbtq yellow, open chat only. Open chat feels really restricted still

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
Champion
Nov 22, 2008
flamemanox5 on Jul 23, 2020 wrote:

With regard to the scrutiny you outline, it's a lot harder to be offensive with some of the words you outline (How do you insult someone with the word bible or republican?), but I would personally be in favor with censoring religion and politics out of the open chat.

KingsIsle is trying to be sensitive to minorities, and always has been. I'll be the first to call out that sometimes, even oftentimes, they go about it the wrong way, but I do believe it's important to keep as many "hop topic" issues out of the game as possible.

The game's filters were initially set in a very different social setting and I would encourage the KingsIsle team to look at the equity issues in the chat filtering of the game. Things that weren't problems 12 years ago are certainly issues now and issues from 2008 are quite likely not as controversial as they once were.

If they truly want it to be an "escape from reality" block those words that are "too real" from the open chat list, including political words, religious words, and other words/phrases related to ideas that are likely to create arguments, harassment, or excessive controversy.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2011
Blaze03554 on Jul 23, 2020 wrote:
Although it may be “frowned upon” to use those words in a negative manner, that will not stop people from doing so. This could create a very dangerous path as players could get very violent and may offend a group of people. Make no mistake, disallowing these words have nothing to do with you as a person, just that the words may be used for evil instead of good... you know?

Sparck touched on this subject before, and stated that sometimes people like to “escape reality” while playing a video game, and not be pressured by the outside world issues/drama/political views/bullying. I can understand this and thinks it’s probably best, especially if their are young people playing this game who are still trying to identify themselves.

That's why it will be exclusive to open chat. Kids should not be on open chat. Yes, they get through, but when they get through its their issue now.

Also, might I add, identity is not politics! Being gay is not political either.

Defender
May 11, 2013
I think it needs to remain out of the game, no reason to go and talk about it in a game, when there are plenty of places to talk about your personal choices.

Defender
Nov 14, 2015

• gay
  • lesbian
  • lez/les
  • transgender
  • bi

• homosexual(ity)
  • bisexual(ity)
  • pansexual(ity)

Sean Ashcloud, 130
Isaac, 84
Taylor Swiftstalker, 72
Sophia Frostflower, 56
Sierra Mist, 39
I had an account a LONG time ago where someone bullied me for being LGBTQ and i got a 10 year mute or a perm ban (I don't remember) for defending myself. As far as i'm concerned the devs don't care about LGBTQ because when i'm cursed at in game and berated and degraded and i try to defend myself they instead choose to punish me. The devs have no idea what it feels like it seems and it's a total karen thing of them to do.

Defender
Nov 14, 2015

• gay
  • lesbian
  • lez/les
  • transgender
  • bi

• homosexual(ity)
  • bisexual(ity)
  • pansexual(ity)

Sean Ashcloud, 130
Isaac, 84
Taylor Swiftstalker, 72
Sophia Frostflower, 56
Sierra Mist, 39
Can we also go ahead and add grape to the list of words. I get WHY it's banned but come on, it's a fruit and they pretty much don't let text chat ppl see random capitalizations. If an open chatter sees it they can just report it.

Survivor
Sep 02, 2009
IMO this is would not be a good or a needed addition to Wizard101. In a fantasy MMORPG which is targeted at children over 10, what would be the reason to discuss your personal sexual orientation or gender identity with other players? I'm an adult player myself and have never felt the need to share details in game about my real gender or sexual preferences. I think adding words like 'gay' and 'queer' would only invite immature and mean players to use them in a demeaning way. And as far as reporting players who use the language "in an insulting manner", how could you prove or moderate that? How can anyone know for sure whether a typed comment was meant sarcastically, in friendly jest, or as a genuine insult? And I fear that words like homosexual/bisexual or other 'sex' related terms could be used for harassment or initiating real-world encounters, which could be harmful or even illegal. Remember that Wizard101 is not technically age restricted, and it would be a massive liability for KI to allow players who are potentially 10 and under to have conversations about sexuality with adults online.

If sex/gender was more relevant to the Wizard101 experience, I think there would be an opportunity to add LGBTQ terms to Open Chat. But it has no bearing whatsoever on the gameplay, apart from how certain gear items look and which names or hairstyles are available to your character. There are more appropriate places to have such conversations (like 18+ chatrooms) and I hope that everyone finds an outlet for their personal expression, but bear in mind that Wizard101 is also an escape for people who don't want to discuss sex/gender.