Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Red Barn Farm number of items -- request to change counting method

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Without additional item elixers, a Red Barn Farm can hold 250 items outside.

Each plant seed and each plant plot count as an item.

This means that if you put *nothing else* in your farm, you can plant a maximum of 125 plants.

The large spell circle can quench the needs of 69 plants.

So in a Red Barn Farm, if you develop it to it's maximum, you will have a GREAT DEAL of empty space, which makes it kind of sad and wimpy-looking, even though it's at maximum.

My question is: Why do plant PLOTS count as items in Red Barn Farms?

The farm is *made* to be planted...

I request that KI change the code so that plant plots do not count against the item limit in Red Barn Farms. My farm would look much more 'farmlike' if this were the case.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
This would be a big change. The reason they've done this is likely due to entity rendering. I just wish the SEED didn't count as an item

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
Red Barn Farms are already too op compared to most other houses. It's funny to even say this. It's already really good for gardening. It shouldn't be the only one to have that change since it would be too unfair. All houses should have that change.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2015
I would have to agree. Plants and plots should either have their own separate housing space or be excluded from house space entirely.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
ChicoValerian on Jul 21, 2020 wrote:

This means that if you put *nothing else* in your farm, you can plant a maximum of 125 plants.

So in a Red Barn Farm, if you develop it to it's maximum, you will have a GREAT DEAL of empty space, which makes it kind of sad and wimpy-looking, even though it's at maximum.

I request that KI change the code so that plant plots do not count against the item limit in Red Barn Farms. My farm would look much more 'farmlike' if this were the case.
I feel you.

I have removed most everything from outside because I have 100 couch potatoes growing at all times. They slow my frame rate sometimes, too.

On the bright side, I am always at max gold and have more rank 9 mega snacks than I know what to do with.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
stevp on Jul 21, 2020 wrote:
Red Barn Farms are already too op compared to most other houses. It's funny to even say this. It's already really good for gardening. It shouldn't be the only one to have that change since it would be too unfair. All houses should have that change.
well, the Red Barn Farm is, you know, a Farm.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Liam Swiftwalker on Jul 23, 2020 wrote:
I feel you.

I have removed most everything from outside because I have 100 couch potatoes growing at all times. They slow my frame rate sometimes, too.

On the bright side, I am always at max gold and have more rank 9 mega snacks than I know what to do with.
It's just that there is sooo much empty area even when the Farm is planted to the max. If they don't want to make the plots not count then they should reduce the area devoted to plants since there is just no way to fill it up given the limits that are in place.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
ChicoValerian on Jul 24, 2020 wrote:
well, the Red Barn Farm is, you know, a Farm.
But there's no point to use any other houses except Red Barn Farm and Botanical Gardens since both of those houses have a boost on almost every plant. I'm not saying every other house is useless but if you plan on gardening, you should only use those two. KI should add the boost to more houses instead of just 2 select houses.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
I was thinking this exact same thing!!! It's a pretty big bummer to be out of space for more plants (even after using elixirs to reach the absolute max space available) and not have even put a single plant in the second big plot area (and my first plot area isn't even completely full). In general, I think it would work much better if soil (and or/planted seeds) didn't count as housing items, because it's also a pretty big bummer to feel like I can barely decorate the outside of the house since I need to dedicate all the housing spaces to soil & seeds for gardening. I'm glad someone said this, because it really is frustrating!! Whether the fix is just for special "gardening" houses (Red Barn Farm, Botanical Gardens, & Ever After Village) or applies to all houses, it would really, really be appreciated for something to change to help this issue.

Survivor
May 14, 2020
I'd say that the one change I'd make to it is to make those four plots of plowed land, all plantable. Without the need to add soil using Plant Magic.

Basically, make those four areas in the Red Barn House act like giant planters, except that instead of a thin 1x4 area for seeds, we'd have a 20x20 area. Or maybe larger. Not sure how many seeds could fit into that plot of land.

This would fix the item limit outside the Red Barn Farm. Inside the Red Barn Farm isn't really meant for farming, though it can be done.

Also, maybe make it so the plantable land outside of the Red Barn Farm is Enchanted Soil would also be really cool, so that way everything just grows there without the need to do anything else.

It would add value to the Red Barn Farm. And because the land would have plantable soil that can't be moved, people trying to get additional value from the Red Barn Farm wouldn't be able to double-down on the almost-70 Couch Potato farming method shown by Ferric on his YouTube channel.

So it adds value without breaking game balance. And it fits with the Red Barn Farm's theme. :) KingsIsle, please do it!

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
rsilverblood101 on Aug 11, 2020 wrote:
I'd say that the one change I'd make to it is to make those four plots of plowed land, all plantable. Without the need to add soil using Plant Magic.

Basically, make those four areas in the Red Barn House act like giant planters, except that instead of a thin 1x4 area for seeds, we'd have a 20x20 area. Or maybe larger. Not sure how many seeds could fit into that plot of land.

This would fix the item limit outside the Red Barn Farm. Inside the Red Barn Farm isn't really meant for farming, though it can be done.

Also, maybe make it so the plantable land outside of the Red Barn Farm is Enchanted Soil would also be really cool, so that way everything just grows there without the need to do anything else.

It would add value to the Red Barn Farm. And because the land would have plantable soil that can't be moved, people trying to get additional value from the Red Barn Farm wouldn't be able to double-down on the almost-70 Couch Potato farming method shown by Ferric on his YouTube channel.

So it adds value without breaking game balance. And it fits with the Red Barn Farm's theme. :) KingsIsle, please do it!
This would kill garden stacking which would enrage most, if not all, players including KingsIsle favorites. I agree that plot and seed ought not be counted separate. the plot is counted, why should what we put in the plot also be counted?

It's the penalty for gardening. They don't actually want people doing it. I mean, look at the double gardening event and how they ended double seeds. No, gardening was added to appease the players with no real effort to make it easy or rewarding.

As for the 70 couch potato farm, mine has 99 Couch Potato and another has 120 Sword Fern and yet another has 192 Evil Magma Peas. Of course, there are no other decorations on any of these farms.

Survivor
Oct 09, 2013
ChicoValerian on Jul 21, 2020 wrote:

This exactly. Would maximize gardening priority while still letting us decorate. But people would take advantage of it definitely