Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Regarding Willcasts in the Deckathalon

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 21, 2016
Willcasts are still pretty new to the deckathalon meta, but I'm concerned regarding the impact they have on the meta for a few reasons. Having a willcast eliminates a lot of the strategy present in preparing a deck, as a willcast cannot fizzle (correct me on this if I'm wrong), its always immediately available for use after enough rounds rather than having to pull for it, and using a willcast saves you from having to use a TC, decreasing the value of efficient deck building. I understand that preparing resources for deckathalon beforehand in the form of creating a good pet with a Willcast talent and stockpiling snacks to use for that willcast is something that would be valued, but the extreme advantage it gives over anyone who doesn't have it I feel is too powerful. You can clear multiple stages without needing to pack a single hit if you use a willcast attack. Despite the balance deckathalon being the most difficult one thus far, we've seen the highest amount of points earned by top leaderboard players since the changes made to deckathalon following the ice deckathalon. At the same time, others in the top 10 had less than half the amount of points the first place holder had. I think this illustrates well enough how significant the divide is between players that have a willcast talent and those that don't. I'm not saying for sure at this point that they warrant removal from deckathalon, but I don't think in their current state they're healthy for deckathalon. Curious on thoughts from others regarding this topic.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Do you know that will-casts had anything to do with those standouts?

I thought those high scores were surprising, but don't know how they were achieved.

I haven't tried will-casts in the deckathalon. I can imagine having an additional attack being useful, but not game-breaking.

Survivor
Aug 21, 2016
I placed second in the life deckathalon without a willcast pet and was only behind first place by 20 points. My thinking is that nobody was sure if they even worked there so there was no point in making a new pet that could end up being useless (I didn't know myself until running in on a dummy character that got willcast triage on his life hamster).

As for how much of an impact they have, I don't think there's much arguing how much more difficult the balance deckathalon was than the life one. Without willcast pets, top players were beating the first fight of stage 8 without willcast pets in the life deckathalon, but in the balance deckathalon the top players are clearing stage 9 because they do have willcast pets (from what I can interpret from final scores anyways).