Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP Feedback for 5th age | Megathread

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Hello everyone,

I thought I would make a megathread where everyone could compile all their wishes and feedback for 5th age, especially a place where minorities (that are not famous wiztubers) like you and I can post feedback.

I have been PvPing since 2013, and I can guarantee you the days I would log onto Wizard101 to play 4v4 with my friends after school was the greatest and most fun thing ever. This was even before shadow hits were a thing. Let's get started.

First of all:

- Remove the ability to gain additional shadow pips

- Possibly reduce the amount of damage shadow hits deal. It is too much.

- The resist system needs to be updated. Players going over 100% resist is not okay. The same can be said about pierce. Keep the pierce limit at 30%

- Remove teamnames from tournaments and replace them with the teamname of ''???'' for all teams so players cannot set for each other. Currently, almost every player sets for each other by putting in school-specific shields, dispels, and getting insane resist with their school-specific resist pets. This is not skill nor is it strategic, and by making it anonymous, people cannot set for each other and removes frustration from PvP.

- Reduce mantle, weakness, and smokescreen to x amount of usage per team per match. Currently, players spam mantle to try and stall so they get a shadow pip. As for 4v4, people spam weakness and smokescreen almost EVERY round. This is not strategic, and by implementing this change, players are forced to strategically decide when it is most appropriate to cast these spells.

- Maycasts need to be removed completely or updated completely. Pets should not have the ability to sway the tide of the battle by casting shatter or a unicorn. I have lost so many matches because a pet decides to unicorn and a glowbugs kills our team. This is Player vs. Player, not Pets & Players vs Pets & Players. This includes maycasts from wands as well.

- Allow players to have more customization. Similar to gear sets, allow each school to have their own unique sets. Each school will have their own unique customization. Each set could have 3 options to choose from. For example, the first set for the Life school can offer something regarding healing. Option 1 can be an increase of 5% incoming, option two can be an increase of 3% outgoing, and option 3 can be 2.5% outgoing and incoming for healing. This makes each wizard more unique while still in the same school.

---

Please feel free to add your own feedback here and I hope the devs use this as a megathread to collect data and communicate.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2017
I like your ideas, I like the most the one where you can do more customization ... I know the system is hard to adapt to be more "balanced", if you nerf a class at the end another will need a nerf as well, same with spells, and the people who suffer the most are the ones who don't even do PVP because the nerf is for both.

I have a lot of ideas, but maybe the most reasonable am thinking right now will be to have a limit of 1 copy per spell in PVP. That way we don't need nerfs in every school, nerfs in every spell at the end to adapt to pvp, just strategy with what we have.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
eSnowFrost on Jun 18, 2020 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I thought I would make a megathread where everyone could compile all their wishes and feedback for 5th age, especially a place where minorities (that are not famous wiztubers) like you and I can post feedback.

I have been PvPing since 2013, and I can guarantee you the days I would log onto Wizard101 to play 4v4 with my friends after school was the greatest and most fun thing ever. This was even before shadow hits were a thing. Let's get started.

First of all:

- The resist system needs to be updated. Players going over 100% resist is not okay. The same can be said about pierce. Keep the pierce limit at 30%

- Remove teamnames from tournaments and replace them with the teamname of ''???'' for all teams so players cannot set for each other. Currently, almost every player sets for each other by putting in school-specific shields, dispels, and getting insane resist with their school-specific resist pets. This is not skill nor is it strategic, and by making it anonymous, people cannot set for each other and removes frustration from PvP.

- Reduce mantle, weakness, and smokescreen to x amount of usage per team per match. Currently, players spam mantle to try and stall so they get a shadow pip. As for 4v4, people spam weakness and smokescreen almost EVERY round. This is not strategic, and by implementing this change, players are forced to strategically decide when it is most appropriate to cast these spells.

- Maycasts need to be removed completely or updated completely. Pets should not have the ability to sway the tide of the battle by casting shatter or a unicorn. I have lost so many matches because a pet decides to unicorn and a glowbugs kills our team. This is Player vs. Player, not Pets & Players vs Pets & Players. This includes maycasts from wands as well.

- Allow players to have more customization. Similar to gear sets, allow each school to have their own unique sets. Each school will have their own unique customization. Each set could have 3 options to choose from. For example, the first set for the Life school can offer something regarding healing. Option 1 can be an increase of 5% incoming, option two can be an increase of 3% outgoing, and option 3 can be 2.5% outgoing and incoming for healing. This makes each wizard more unique while still in the same school.

---

Please feel free to add your own feedback here and I hope the devs use this as a megathread to collect data and communicate.
An interesting take I saw from someone was to remove the ability to crit shadow hits in PvP only. At the moment crit only boosts your hit by 33%, but when you take into account how much damage some hits do, it can add 500 base to a 1500 damage spell, and then when multipliers come into play, it can become extremely overpowered. I think this is the nerf that needs to happen to shad hits rather than just lowering base damage. A resist cap of around 75 sounds reasonable, maybe lower than that for pre-shadow PvP.

Removing maycasts is just a bad idea, no questions asked. They are there because players put time and effort into making maycast pets, and maycast aura pets are actually keeping Balance alive in this meta.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2017
Idk why my earlier reply didn't get posted.

I like your ideas for the future of pvp. the one I like the most is the customization one ! There are many issues with pvp at the moment, and when the game gets an update usually the content is for pve, later they have to deal with a lot of nerfs, for me nerfing schools or spells is not a good idea, the ones who suffer the most is pve players that never played pvp and have to deal with the changes (spells). But at the end there will never be a balanced pvp with the system we know now, if they nerf a school or a spell there will be another op school on the list, later they will have to nerf that school or spell as well, it is a cycle. And why even think in restricting pets that have may casts or will casts? they are there to be used.

I have 2 suggestions:

1. RANKED PVP will be a lot better if it just counted the wins, not the looses, just like tournaments! involving loses in the chart gives so much stress to anyone who loose that at the end what people want to do is yell at the other or nerf his school, you don't have fun there like in tournaments that have different modes of playstyles. In tournaments you can choose to play classic, quick match.... But in ranked there are so many factors involved you don't have even fun at the end for not wanting to loose, so you use the same strategy and deck over and over.

2. To put more strategy in PVP, and to avoid repetitive gameplays, it will be awesome to have a limit of 1 of each type of card in the game, that way no one can spam the same spell to win, no spamming shields, no spamming dispels or spam abom, efreet, dots, insane bolt, earthquake, satyr.... It will be more balanced since it will require more strategy and you will have to use the right card at the right moment.

These are my thoughts for now

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

First of all:

---

Most of the discussion around shadow pip gaining has already been discussed during the pvp round table. It seems Shadow rating is gonna be implemented in place of shadow percentage. Which means players who invest more in shadow set gears will gain more shadow if there gears are higher than their opponent. Not really the idea what the majority of the pvp community was looking for. We wanted less and control shadow presence in pvp.

I do agree with shadow damage in need of damage reduction in pvp only. Gears have fundamentally push out-going damage to the extreme, so its only fair that all shadow enhance spells with 1000+ damage, gets a damage tone down.

I have mix feeling about this one. Perhaps because of my bias of playing more offensive than defensive play style resist wise. I like the idea of having a resist cap of 70% and pierce cap of 55%, but k i wants to remove immunity from both pvp and pve . I believe having players have access to immunity in the first place with pay wall gears was a bad idea, and them trying to now nerf it in a sense, well its gonna make a lot of people mad having already spent thousands of crowns trying to get the gears. Pierce should always cover for 50% of the resist. You also have to remember schools like storm and fire are heavily reliable on pierce. However, the devs were talking about rather than giving players immunity out right from gears, they are gonna get them through a series of defensive spells.

This one can go both ways. How about the first time use gives -50% cap on all reduction and reduces by 15% per used? I get the idea of shifting from an RNG meta to more of a direct one, but i feel like these spells create some kind of an opportunity for a come back when falling behind. All weakness are fine the way they are and helps with mitigating damage. Limiting the use sounds like a good idea especially in 4v4, but should not apply to spells like sirens and bulls or damage spells. Like dispels and stuns shields there should be one for mantle, but not for weakness.

Heals should be adjusted in pvp to some kind of max use in a 4v4 setting also. Reviving should be remove from pvp with healing so healers are pressured in keeping their team mates alive rather than just reviving them x amount of times. I feel this is considered to be the most problematic.

May cast are not bad, they are just overly used. They are times when my shatter-enfeeble pet after testing doesn't go off in five matches then there's times it just goes off a lot in one match hence why they are called may-cast. People only have problem with it when it literally destroys shield and blade spamming strategies. Also its a good thing to quote: Any spells that can be countered should not receive nerfs. A simple solution to may cast shatter and enfeeble is implementing aegis tc's than can pre-enchant shields and blades. Players also sacrifice other useful talents for a chance at rng. This one requires careful thought and planning, since spells with removal utilities are getting nerfed. If one or to may cast is excluded all may-cast should be removed from pvp, so i guess were going back to the old no-pet pvp days.

This is a great idea, but again I feel like all schools can hit so giving life any aspect of damage is preferable for me. The meta is shifting to more of an offensive play-style, and am not so sure how I feel about that entirely, as it removes the aspect of creativity and diversity that will just create an atmosphere for similar working strategies. These are just my personal opinions not like its gonna matter anyway since am retiring wiz soon. Best of luck with the new age and i hope it brings back the fun and fairness for all.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Thank you everyone for the feedback thus far.
I hope more people contribute and make use of this opportunity.

Once again, I am asking if Sparck could pin and share this message so it is shared to a wider audience. Different voices are good.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
angellifeheart on Jun 21, 2020 wrote:
Most of the discussion around shadow pip gaining has already been discussed during the pvp round table. It seems Shadow rating is gonna be implemented in place of shadow percentage. Which means players who invest more in shadow set gears will gain more shadow if there gears are higher than their opponent. Not really the idea what the majority of the pvp community was looking for. We wanted less and control shadow presence in pvp.

I do agree with shadow damage in need of damage reduction in pvp only. Gears have fundamentally push out-going damage to the extreme, so its only fair that all shadow enhance spells with 1000+ damage, gets a damage tone down.

I have mix feeling about this one. Perhaps because of my bias of playing more offensive than defensive play style resist wise. I like the idea of having a resist cap of 70% and pierce cap of 55%, but k i wants to remove immunity from both pvp and pve . I believe having players have access to immunity in the first place with pay wall gears was a bad idea, and them trying to now nerf it in a sense, well its gonna make a lot of people mad having already spent thousands of crowns trying to get the gears. Pierce should always cover for 50% of the resist. You also have to remember schools like storm and fire are heavily reliable on pierce. However, the devs were talking about rather than giving players immunity out right from gears, they are gonna get them through a series of defensive spells.

This one can go both ways. How about the first time use gives -50% cap on all reduction and reduces by 15% per used? I get the idea of shifting from an RNG meta to more of a direct one, but i feel like these spells create some kind of an opportunity for a come back when falling behind. All weakness are fine the way they are and helps with mitigating damage. Limiting the use sounds like a good idea especially in 4v4, but should not apply to spells like sirens and bulls or damage spells. Like dispels and stuns shields there should be one for mantle, but not for weakness.

Heals should be adjusted in pvp to some kind of max use in a 4v4 setting also. Reviving should be remove from pvp with healing so healers are pressured in keeping their team mates alive rather than just reviving them x amount of times. I feel this is considered to be the most problematic.

May cast are not bad, they are just overly used. They are times when my shatter-enfeeble pet after testing doesn't go off in five matches then there's times it just goes off a lot in one match hence why they are called may-cast. People only have problem with it when it literally destroys shield and blade spamming strategies. Also its a good thing to quote: Any spells that can be countered should not receive nerfs. A simple solution to may cast shatter and enfeeble is implementing aegis tc's than can pre-enchant shields and blades. Players also sacrifice other useful talents for a chance at rng. This one requires careful thought and planning, since spells with removal utilities are getting nerfed. If one or to may cast is excluded all may-cast should be removed from pvp, so i guess were going back to the old no-pet pvp days.

This is a great idea, but again I feel like all schools can hit so giving life any aspect of damage is preferable for me. The meta is shifting to more of an offensive play-style, and am not so sure how I feel about that entirely, as it removes the aspect of creativity and diversity that will just create an atmosphere for similar working strategies. These are just my personal opinions not like its gonna matter anyway since am retiring wiz soon. Best of luck with the new age and i hope it brings back the fun and fairness for all.
No maycasts are bad. And no I dont have a problem with it if goes off and destroys my blades or shields, I have a problem when Im trying to shield because the bad guy got a shadow pip and im defenseless and that dumb pet takes my shield off and there goes 4000 health. That's not a good solution at all to fixing those maycasts because that gonna take up more tc space unless it only tower shields and I doubt I can blade stack with aegis tc enchanted blades since it still the same blade. Life was easier when all these pets weren't involved and the game was actually based on skill, not whose pet can ruin your match.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2016
I agree with most everything you said except,

• I think may cast from pets should be allowed, people put alot of time and effort into them and I think of them more as an extra weapon you have to work hard to get

• I also think that you should be able to have more then one shadow pip and the critical rating should cause your spell to be double damage just the same as if you were a lower level, I feel like lowering the damage shadow spells do is unfair to higher level wizards because they worked hard to get those stats

Other then those points I agree with everything you've said, but I do have one thing I wanna talk about myself

• I really really really want to have a turn every round in pvp, it's not fair it dosent do anything but make the match longer, its not like this when you do boss battles and stuff so why would they change it? Your basically each just stunned every other round and there not letting me have my time to put blades on and stuff and letting the other person hit me before I can hit them is just not right and makes me angry like why would you do that?

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
really 100 resist isnt fair? do you know how many crowns it takes to even have the ability to do that? you have pierce -.- whoever posted this i stg

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Jordan lionheart on Jun 24, 2020 wrote:
I agree with most everything you said except,

• I think may cast from pets should be allowed, people put alot of time and effort into them and I think of them more as an extra weapon you have to work hard to get

• I also think that you should be able to have more then one shadow pip and the critical rating should cause your spell to be double damage just the same as if you were a lower level, I feel like lowering the damage shadow spells do is unfair to higher level wizards because they worked hard to get those stats

Other then those points I agree with everything you've said, but I do have one thing I wanna talk about myself

• I really really really want to have a turn every round in pvp, it's not fair it dosent do anything but make the match longer, its not like this when you do boss battles and stuff so why would they change it? Your basically each just stunned every other round and there not letting me have my time to put blades on and stuff and letting the other person hit me before I can hit them is just not right and makes me angry like why would you do that?
1. If something is broken, it should be changed. "I spent a long time getting broken thing" is not a good argument because all that does is encourage power creep and raise the barrier of entry to PvP.
2. I think two shadow pips is fine and it would be weird to change that, especially since reducing max shadow pips to one would effectively ban shadow creatures from PvP. Critical was nerfed in PvP only to reduce the effect of RNG especially now since block is not in a good place IMO. Also, higher level wizards didn't "work hard" to get shadow spells. They were given to them as a part of questing, and again, working hard for a broken thing doesn't mean that broken thing should stay broken.
3. Is this a joke? First turn advantage has been the shining pinnacle of stupid broken RNG mechanics in PvP since before shadow magic. How is it unfair that you get to see what the opponent does when you're second? Why do you think you're entitled to the time to put on blades? Turn based is a lot more fair to people going second. Literally the only time your opponent can hit you before you have a chance to hit them is on round 1 going first, when they only have 3 pips.

Survivor
Oct 20, 2017
People have talked about dispel shields and I hope they don't become a reality. Otherwise, dispels would become obsolete. Currently, dispels are strategically normally used once on a person per match. Let's keep it that way.

I'd like something done about pets maycast though.. they are too OP.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Snow7450 on Jun 23, 2020 wrote:
No maycasts are bad. And no I dont have a problem with it if goes off and destroys my blades or shields, I have a problem when Im trying to shield because the bad guy got a shadow pip and im defenseless and that dumb pet takes my shield off and there goes 4000 health. That's not a good solution at all to fixing those maycasts because that gonna take up more tc space unless it only tower shields and I doubt I can blade stack with aegis tc enchanted blades since it still the same blade. Life was easier when all these pets weren't involved and the game was actually based on skill, not whose pet can ruin your match.
Then pets should be removed from pvp hands down. Till then i don't think its valid or justifyable to go about nerfing strategies that most people refuse to deal with. Removing any may cast from pvp should be apply-able to all. What we need is an actual percentage of what the may_cast rate is. Anything bellow 50% should remain the same. People complain about shatter and enfeeble because they don't like dealing with it. After a few testing I came towards these to conclusions:
1. Remove pets from pvp hands down.
2. Leave everything the way it is.

Pets aren't the main problem of pvp and we are shying away from the main problem.
Shrike, Efreet, Abominable weaver and Darknova are a few example of what pvp will look like in fifth age once it gets nerf.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
xSnowearth on Jun 24, 2020 wrote:
People have talked about dispel shields and I hope they don't become a reality. Otherwise, dispels would become obsolete. Currently, dispels are strategically normally used once on a person per match. Let's keep it that way.

I'd like something done about pets maycast though.. they are too OP.
The same should be applied to mantle.

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
angellifeheart on Jun 26, 2020 wrote:
Then pets should be removed from pvp hands down. Till then i don't think its valid or justifyable to go about nerfing strategies that most people refuse to deal with. Removing any may cast from pvp should be apply-able to all. What we need is an actual percentage of what the may_cast rate is. Anything bellow 50% should remain the same. People complain about shatter and enfeeble because they don't like dealing with it. After a few testing I came towards these to conclusions:
1. Remove pets from pvp hands down.
2. Leave everything the way it is.

Pets aren't the main problem of pvp and we are shying away from the main problem.
Shrike, Efreet, Abominable weaver and Darknova are a few example of what pvp will look like in fifth age once it gets nerf.
Maybe they should be. Have you seen 4v4s? Everytime you shield, hit, or do basically anything a pet or 3 will go off. It's getting dumb and needs to stop. You hit? Oh 3 maycast legion shields and some fairy and oh maybe a unicorn. Then you have stupid maycast shatter. Like seriously, you shield in a 4v4 and a bunch of pets just start casting shtater and im sick of it. pets shouldnt control pvp like this.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Snow7450 on Jun 30, 2020 wrote:
Maybe they should be. Have you seen 4v4s? Everytime you shield, hit, or do basically anything a pet or 3 will go off. It's getting dumb and needs to stop. You hit? Oh 3 maycast legion shields and some fairy and oh maybe a unicorn. Then you have stupid maycast shatter. Like seriously, you shield in a 4v4 and a bunch of pets just start casting shtater and im sick of it. pets shouldnt control pvp like this.
I don't do 2v2 3v3 or 4v4 for that reason. 4v4 i hate the most in its current condition, due to the extensive may cast of mass tower. A jade or few jades are always involve, always a life and death to be specific, were one always spams plague and the other revives teams for an infinite amount. Then you got another just spamming mantles into bulls etc, yup am well aware.Not for me its why I stick to the 1v1.

Squire
May 10, 2013
Ban Deckathalon Decks for Low Level PvP.

Starting with an additional 2 pips is completely ridiculous. A level 10 storm facing another Level 10 can use the Duelist Wand and the 2 pip deck, and use a 4 pip Storm hit like Calypso or Kraken and end the game before it even starts. That is absurd and should not be allowed.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2014
hi all you PVP brats! lol
i have a really radical idea. i miss the good days when we had 4v4 teams and competed against other teams nearly everyday... i would love to go back to those days of PvP. i realize not all do and trying to make PvP acceptable to everyone is NOT EVER going to happen. So here's my idea,..

is it possible to have realms for old pvp? different realms different ages of PvP? maybe just to see what is the most popular or leave it like that and let everyone play the pVp they like the best on the realm.

What y'all think?

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

First of all:

---

After some test run I 100% believe shrike is the problem. Pierce should be cap at 50% and resist at 70%. Meaning in gears wise most a storm can get is 40% pierce with decent resist etc. All other school roughly has between 30-40 pierce and yes its super balance because you can use spells like infallible. Shrike makes my 60% resist non-existent while my opponent gets to dish out crazy damage. If all shadow spells are getting touch shrike is at the top of my list.

Ban shrike, cap resist at 70% pierce at 50% and see where it goes from there.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Just lost a match (when I deserved the first place) because the enemy set (school set resist pet with shields and resist ring from Khrysalis) and went first. Not sure how this isn't fixed yet!!!

Make ALL team names appear as ''???'' so no one knows who they are facing. Setting is not okay!

Explorer
Aug 04, 2019
eSnowFrost on Jul 4, 2020 wrote:
Just lost a match (when I deserved the first place) because the enemy set (school set resist pet with shields and resist ring from Khrysalis) and went first. Not sure how this isn't fixed yet!!!

Make ALL team names appear as ''???'' so no one knows who they are facing. Setting is not okay!
Yes they need to add this already. Such a simple thing to do.

Survivor
Oct 20, 2017
I wish they would separate PvP and Pve. Some utilities are much prefered in PvP, while damage is usually prefered in PvE. I do not understand why they don't do this. More work? Coding work?

For example, in PvP, I would prefer Gnomes have a Life dispel, rather than more damage. Utility makes schools more diverse!

Some bugs I have found:

- Wings of Fate does not deal damage on the enemy, nor does it apply an the damage overtime.

- The healing enchants (sun) do not work on the Scion of Life spell... the buff does not show on the card.