Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Dark Side to Shadow Pip Team-ups

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 27, 2013
I know that I am going to offend some players with the contents of this post, but I feel my complaint is well founded.

There is a dark problem with shadow pips in the team kiosk. Players who use the shadow pips are often not at all interested in working together with other people, i.e. being a team member. Time and again they use massive power plays, wiping out all opponents, not only before other players have had a chance to get one offensive spell cast, but sometimes before the person who needed help even has a chance to make it into the combat ring. The newer or less powered players gain no combat experience or animus from these events at all. This is in Wizard City or Krocotopia dungeons. What is the reason of hitting 200-300 point villains with over 7000 points of damage? Wouldn’t this be more helpful in Avalon or Azteca or higher where the foes are stronger? In short we seem to have a rash of ‘helpful’ bullies.

KI might want to consider limiting which worlds shadow pips may be used on.

Thank you for reading.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
This can honestly be apply to any player that is a higher level than another. You don't need a shadow pip to one hit ko a group of enemies if you are over leveled for whatever dungeon you're in its easy to just aoe the room and run off. If I went to "help" with some dungeon in Marleybone with a level 70 fire wizard with no shadow pips being available to me for another 30 some odd levels I could still meteor my way through the dungeon at max speed like a jerk just on the merits of my stats.

Its not the shadow pips its just the people, and that is something that cant be helped.

Delver
Nov 25, 2012
Hey

I think it relates to all the players.
What kingsisle should do is add a feature which blocks players from attacking the target if there are missing players in the battle.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
This has nothing to do with shadow magic and everything due to the wizard being rude. My max death can deer knight pretty much everything lower than Dragonspyre out of existence in one shot.

Defender
May 27, 2013
Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
OP, what would you suggest we do? I’m a high-level wizard trying to get the Team Manager badge, and I use the team up kiosk and help people mainly in the first 5 worlds. My team-up deck consists only of sandstorm and animus cards, but even then I tend to critical and wipe out all enemies in one turn. I always wait for everyone to join the battle before i hit though. How would you suggest I change my deck? Should I just use starter spells? Do you think high level wizards just shouldn’t team up for dungeons in the lower level worlds?

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
With the rate at which you get shadows being completely random, the shadow spells aren't the problem.

These players are just jerks. If I ever do team up farming and somebody doesn't make it in the ring, I wait two turns for them to enter the ring or be in the battle, and to get a view of the door to see if they teleported out.

My main priority when I do those is to help the player, while also getting a point for my badge. I can one shot all enemies first turn until maybe Celestia, but I never do it until I'm sure you will get the credit you need.

It's nothing to do with shadow spells, everything to do with the player. There's already many questionable changes being made to shadow magic, shadow spells don't need more disadvantage with the upcoming nerfs.

Defender
May 27, 2013
Emma, there are a few options.

I understand that you're going for the badge and I get that.

Lower level worlds are often the fastest and I get that, too. However, I believe that there are other ways to help. (I mean, it is called team play for a reason.) How about serious protection spells or healing or blades for the lower level characters while they work on the attacks? Or carry the absolutely lowest level attack spells.

There is indeed that other alternative. Yes, help players in the mid to higher level worlds. It is often quite hard to find someone to team up with in Avalon or above. If you're level 100 or above, Avalon should be super easy. Why go to the lower worlds, when mid level players really, truly need your help?

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Fandango739 on Jun 27, 2020 wrote:
Emma, there are a few options.

I understand that you're going for the badge and I get that.

Lower level worlds are often the fastest and I get that, too. However, I believe that there are other ways to help. (I mean, it is called team play for a reason.) How about serious protection spells or healing or blades for the lower level characters while they work on the attacks? Or carry the absolutely lowest level attack spells.

There is indeed that other alternative. Yes, help players in the mid to higher level worlds. It is often quite hard to find someone to team up with in Avalon or above. If you're level 100 or above, Avalon should be super easy. Why go to the lower worlds, when mid level players really, truly need your help?
Because intelligence responds to how it's measured.
The only thing that's counted is the number of team ups. The badge doesn't care if you're stomping on Lord Nightshade or helping someone defeat Malistaire or Morganthe. So in order to get those badges people are going to do the fastest team ups possible, which tends to be the former. Similarly, if I just heal the new player or shield him it's going to take longer to complete the instance than if I just smite the boss as soon as everyone has joined.

The solution you want is to factor in the quality of the team up rather than the quantity. The game should place higher value on the team ups that happen in higher worlds so that wizards who want the badge are incentivized to go where they're more needed.

Defender
May 27, 2013
Robobot1747 on Jun 29, 2020 wrote:
Because intelligence responds to how it's measured.
The only thing that's counted is the number of team ups. The badge doesn't care if you're stomping on Lord Nightshade or helping someone defeat Malistaire or Morganthe. So in order to get those badges people are going to do the fastest team ups possible, which tends to be the former. Similarly, if I just heal the new player or shield him it's going to take longer to complete the instance than if I just smite the boss as soon as everyone has joined.

The solution you want is to factor in the quality of the team up rather than the quantity. The game should place higher value on the team ups that happen in higher worlds so that wizards who want the badge are incentivized to go where they're more needed.
That is a good suggestion that I hope KI will follow.
Thanks!

Survivor
Nov 01, 2013
I, for one, like when a high level player can one hit in a low level dungeon.
I'd rather have the fight be over asap and move on.
I usually use this to complete the Team-up for special event points. I haven't grinded for the TU badges yet, but would prefer to be able to do it quickly in lower dungeons.
I agree that no one should hit until all players are in battle. I always try to make sure everyone is in.
I hope they don't limit us to TU for certain world's, as then my higher characters won't be able to help as many players.