Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why are words surrounding the LGBT banned and punishable?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 17, 2009
capricieux 19 on Jun 26, 2020 wrote:
People in game have been live chatting since the inception of the game, but they used chat apps. Those come in text only or video and easily fit onto a computer screen.

They are part of what allow this game to retain its E+10 rating.
Got a problem with our E+10 rating
Find another game simple; or complain to the people who created the various ratings.

Yes, I'm in a grouchy mood. If I wanted real life: i'd close down my computer and go outside into the real world
Online Interactions are not rated by the ESRB, its very clearly stated on any game with and online chat function that the ESRB cannot possibly know all the different ways these features can be used and so they are not factored into the rating, I think its totally reasonable to want to use the game to escape but this notion that adding these words will increase the age rating is simply not true.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Emma Jadeheart on Jun 25, 2020 wrote:
I agree with a lot of the other posters in this thread, the argument “it’s inappropriate for children” itself could be debated extensively and even then, open chat is meant for adults. I’ve had people I play with tell me about their children, their spouses, their jobs etc so I really don’t see how words describing your orientation are any different than the other vaguely personal things people chat about in-game.
I consider those discussions in open chat divulging Personal information. How KI looks at it, I have no idea. I do know that under ToU, certain personal information is not allow. As for PERSONAL orientation, I still think it should be kept out of a game.....

Many of us play this game because of the Terms and conditions KI set for an E 10+ game play. But, to put it bluntly, sometimes discussions can become a bit TOO personal or explicit. We play this game to get AWAY from real life for a few hours. If certain topics are going to become the norm in game, I for one will be shutting down my grandson's game and probably mine.

As I have said before, I don't care what your preferences are but please keep them personal. Not in this game.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
flamemanox5 on Jun 25, 2020 wrote:
Ok, I can respect why you feel that way, Here's where you're losing me. Tell me why you think adults who have been confirmed with a CC should not be able to say these words to each other in open chat and should have to use third party programs?
This game is rated E 10+ meaning it is rated for kids 10 and up. If KI changes the ToU to allow such subjects to be discussed IN GAME, they will have to change their rating.....

If the same suggestion that was directed at me and my grandson to use DISCORD, then why wouldn't the same suggestion be viable for adults.

All of our accounts are confirmed with a CC so your argument holds no water in that aspect.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
DragonLady1818 on Jun 26, 2020 wrote:
This game is rated E 10+ meaning it is rated for kids 10 and up. If KI changes the ToU to allow such subjects to be discussed IN GAME, they will have to change their rating.....

If the same suggestion that was directed at me and my grandson to use DISCORD, then why wouldn't the same suggestion be viable for adults.

All of our accounts are confirmed with a CC so your argument holds no water in that aspect.
Ok, I've heard you out, can you please tell me where in the terms of use I can find this information since I think links are not ok in most cases on the forums.

Otherwise you have not answered my question, I am asking why it is wrong for two adults in wizard 101 using the open chat feature to use these words with each other.

I did not say that all CC confirmed accounts should be able to, I said CC confirmed accounts that have enabled open chat should be able to, and I am not asking what you think is a good alternative for this particular problem

I am asking, why are adults, using an adult only chat system that a parent would have to willingly allow their child to participate in forced to use a third party application to say these words?

I've heard your rating argument, I'd like to know if there is any other reason you believe this is justified.

Administrator
flamemanox5 on Jun 26, 2020 wrote:
Ok, I've heard you out, can you please tell me where in the terms of use I can find this information since I think links are not ok in most cases on the forums.

Otherwise you have not answered my question, I am asking why it is wrong for two adults in wizard 101 using the open chat feature to use these words with each other.

I did not say that all CC confirmed accounts should be able to, I said CC confirmed accounts that have enabled open chat should be able to, and I am not asking what you think is a good alternative for this particular problem

I am asking, why are adults, using an adult only chat system that a parent would have to willingly allow their child to participate in forced to use a third party application to say these words?

I've heard your rating argument, I'd like to know if there is any other reason you believe this is justified.
As we hinted at earlier, there are several reasons that you will still come up with restrictions no matter Open Chat or otherwise. Keeping certain words restricted is a reasonable consideration for a game that has a large focus on younger ages, regardless of any Open Chat options.

One particular reason is this is a game that players come to specifically to get away from the real world. That is why we do not allow politics, religious references, and other similar words and statements. If there are words or statements that you feel are not appropriate that are getting through, please let us know.

While you are perfectly free to express yourselves where it's appropriate to do so, including here in the forums and on social media of course, some words unfortunately cannot be used for risk of abuse. Also, consider that certain words also may not have an in-game reference that would make sense to allow them to be used at this time.

We understand the interest in having more words freely available in the game and will consider further adjustments as they make sense to do so. Please propose them in a new thread we can regularly review. Thanks!