Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does hatching really work? I can't find a straight answer...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 24, 2018
So I have one adult pet, just got it to adult. It's an ice snake. I really want to get a *Life Kookabura*

So there are none in the pet kiosk, so does that mean I could hatch with, say, a BALANCE kookabura? If I click the hatch button and spend 40,000 gold, will I receive a kookabura?

Even if I get one, what do I have to hatch that balance kookabura with to get a life kookabura? Thanks for any and all help!

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
There are LOTS of places online that offer instructions on how hatching works. Also, there are dozens of Kookaburra in the kiosk, they're under life, and called "kookaburra," not "life kookaburra." Maybe that is where you're getting messed up.

Hatching costs LOTS of gold. You will need mega snacks (learn to garden) and lots of gold to hatch. The average perfect pet hatch for me takes at least a dozen or more hatches. It gets pricey and time-consuming.

The classic "piggle method" says to buy a simple piggle from the pet shop in the Pet Pavilion, train it to adult, then go to the kiosk and hatch it with the exact pet you want (your "dream pet"). Then train the new pet to adult, and repeat the process. It may take a few hatches before your new pet becomes a Kookaburra. But it should happen eventually. Don't worry if your piggle does not change right away, its appearance is not important at the start. Once it's a Kookaburra, it will stay that way.

Technically, with each hatch you should try to get two talents on your pet from your dream pet. If not, you trash the new pet (or retire it to one of your homes!) and try again until you get two talents from your dream pet. Only then do you train it to adult and continue.

So, in a perfect world, you will only train your pets to adult, until you get a pet with:
  1. Two talents from your dream pet
  2. Every single strength/intellect/agility/will/power number identical to your dream pet (i.e. 255-249-260-258-248)
  3. Every single talent line (rare, ultra-rare, epic, etc.) identical to your dream pet

At this point, you can now train to Ancient. If you get a third talent from your dream pet at Ancient, you can train to Epic. And so on.

There are many nuances along the way, but you get the gist. Lots of time, lots of obstacles. It can get frustrating. It helps to "be ok with" a pet that has MOST of the talents you want, if not all.

Good luck!