Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help Me Decide, and teach me.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 27, 2019
Hello, i'm Jack LegendHorn, and i'm a level 30 Balance student. I have some questions on spells and other things. First, I can't decide which spells to purchase, for example I don't want to purchase Fire because it has a low percentage, however it does a lot of dmg. Second, I see streamers/youtubers and other players who have spells that aren't from the school. I understand that they're probably in different worlds, and if so which worlds would I get which spells from which schools.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Hi, Fallon Drake Lvl 86, Archmage Sorcerer, here to be of assistance.

To answer your question I would not invest training points into the attack spells of other schools, as there isn't really a gear set that offers you good buffs for multiple schools. Since balance is mostly a support based school so by default you will have a lot of very handy spells that are not only useful for you but also for anyone playing alongside you. You also have access to some really nice spells such a Judgement, Ra and Mana Burn later on, however there are some spells outside of your school that I would invest in obtaining:

#1 Satyr, which you can obtain from Professor Wu in the Life School at level 26, (you will have to have the proper level and learn the all spells prior to Satyr to unlock it) this will give you a nice healing spell to help you out in a pinch, this spell is a staple in any wizard's deck, definitely worth having.

#2 Feint, which you can obtain from Dworgyn in The Death School within Nightside at level 26 (like with Wu you will have to have the proper level and learn the all spells prior to Feint to unlock it), this will give you a very helpful 70% universal trap spell, a lot of youtubers and regular players make good use of this spell.

#3 Tower Shield, which can be obtained from Professor Greyrose in the Ice School at level 16 (like the other listed above you will need to know the previous spells Lydia offers in order to unlock it), handy for going into pvp or a pve boss encounter with a boss that does lots of damage really useful to have on hand, but there are many pets that will give you a copy or two of this card, and the Treasure Card is relatively cheap and easy to come by.

#4 (More of a low level pvp thing, completely optional) Fire Elf, which is the second spell Professor Falmea offers it only requires you to be level 5, its good for getting rid of enemy universal wards, it works well for the same thing in pve and that's about it, there ar better spells for this at higher levels, like I said a completely optional choice.

Beyond that, I would save you training points because there are going to be spells you'll want later on when you reach Celestia you'll be able to access the Astral schools for the first time, there will be even better astral spells in Zafaria and Azteca. In Krysalis you'll be able to learn Shadow School spells, so defiantly save those extra training points for Celestia, Azteca, Krysalis, and beyond.

In regards to Celestia you defiantly want to learn all the spells leading up to Colossal (basically a small lump damage bonus) as well as pick up the Star School spells Amplify and Fortify (Vengeance is optional in my mind, but Infallible can be helpful if you ever have to solo a Balance boss as the 15% pierce helps cut through the boss's resistance), once you get to Azteca you'll want to do the quests that will let you pick up Potent Trap and Sharpen Blade (these will give your traps and charms a much needed boost), you'll also want to pick up your new school auras (the Balance school has 2) Chastisement and Punishment these give you a very handsome damage boost but slightly increases the incoming damage from different schools (Chastisement being the elemental schools , and Punishment being the spirit schools ) the way around this is simply to look at the school of the monster you're fighting and switch your aura spell over to the opposite types. So if you're fighting a monster switch to Punishment as a fire monster largely casts fire spells, since Punishment only boosts incoming damage from life, death, and myth spells you won't have to worry as much. If there's say an elemental school boss with spirit school minions, set your aura spells to favor the minions' damage type over the boss (as the boss is the more threatening target and you don't want to boost its damage more).

Once you're able to get Shadow spells, I defiantly recommend having Shadow Shrike, the 50% pierce will defiantly help you fight balance monsters as well as balance bosses just remember that the Shrike will drain your health a bit (but since the balance school has no conversion spell this is rather helpful, it would be a lot of side spells for balance did have a conversion... hmmm that gives me an idea...) Dark Nova can also be helpful later on, but yeah...

That's about everything I can think of, as for gear there's half a million general gear guides that will tell you what you want and where to get it but the basic guide is:

At level 30, I would defiantly get a team of people together and farm for your Senator and/or Zeus balance set from Mount Olympus that will take you all way through Malistaire and into Zafaria. Talk to Professor Drake to get that quest started.

Once you hit level 60 farm the Waterworks in Wizard City for your next set of balance gear or if you want you could also farm the House of Scales dungeon in Krokotopia, talk to your professor, Alhazred, to start that once you're of the right level. At this point I would start looking into pets and maybe begin the process of building that perfect balance pet, but you don't have to if you don't want to just yet.

At level 70 you can optionally go and farm Poseidon in Atlantea (second step of the Immortal Games quest that professor Drake will give you) for another set of gear to mix and match with your other gear.

At level 90 you can farm Hades (final leg of the Immortal games, again talk to Cyrus once you hit the right level) for a really sweet damage set and/ or an essentially improved version of your Waterworks gear. Don't forget to farm Morganthe for her amulet, there are videos to explain what I mean.

At level 100 its time to go to Darkmoor and kick Malistaire's tail again, get a good strong team together and farm him for your Malistaire the Undying set and that set of armor will take you to the level cap at 130.

Of course beyond level 100 there will be sets to mix and match with, that's where I would do a little more digging to see exactly what states you want to chase. Once test realm releases to the live realm there will defiantly be some craftable gear for level 130 that will be worth grabbing certain bits and pieces of.

But that isn't for awhile yet, so don't feel pressured, you go at whatever pace you like. Have a fun time and enjoy ride! But that's everything I can think of off the top of my head. Best of luck to you, see you in the Spiral!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
As a , this is what I recommend:

- To Feint (Level 26)

- Learn spells such as Fortify, Amplify and Berserk. The first spells won't become available to you until level 50+ and you have unlocked and progressed some bit in Celestia (world after Dragonspyre).

- All damage enchanting spells such as Tough, Giant, Strong, Monstrous etc.
Again, available in Celestia.

You don't need to learn spells such as Tower Shield () or Satyr () as you will be granted excellent defensive mechanisms alongside ways to heal yourself and others.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Star Edward on Nov 6, 2019 wrote:
As a , this is what I recommend:

- To Feint (Level 26)

- Learn spells such as Fortify, Amplify and Berserk. The first spells won't become available to you until level 50+ and you have unlocked and progressed some bit in Celestia (world after Dragonspyre).

- All damage enchanting spells such as Tough, Giant, Strong, Monstrous etc.
Again, available in Celestia.

You don't need to learn spells such as Tower Shield () or Satyr () as you will be granted excellent defensive mechanisms alongside ways to heal yourself and others.

If you decide to solo most of your quests on a balance having Satyr and/or Tower Shield still helps, as balance doesn't have the same damage capacity that other schools do.

Administrator
Welcome Jack LegendHorn to the Wizard101 community!