Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Returning player is confused (+ a mini rant)

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
So I haven't played in over a year, and there's all this new stuff!

What is the Beastmoon Hunt? Is it PvP? Because it sounds like it from the description... but then, on the info page, it says that anyone level 10+ can be teammates. So how does that work?

Is there another way to get participation trophies that doesn't involve me having to do PvP? My littlest wizard is level 40-something, and I really don't like PvP to start with, so it doesn't really make sense to start doing PvP now. But I would like to get the crafting quest off my books eventually... Is there a transmute recipe, or other way of obtaining these?

I'm glad Team Up was changed, to add the countdown timer, although there are some kinks that could stand to be ironed out. I joined a team through the kiosk and waited over 5 minutes for my teammate (who was clearly AFK, as he did not move or respond to any of my questions). So I ported out, only to find that *I'm* the one blocked from teaming up again. But I suppose I can't win 'em all, so I killed 5 minutes at the bazaar and joined a new team.

I've also noticed that you pretty much need a team to do the second half of Empyrea. Kind of a shame, since all my friends are gone and I used to be able to solo things, but mobs now hit for 1500-2000 damage per round and I'm weaker at level 125 than I was at level 60. I was around when the new crit/block system rolled out, but there wasn't really any gear made for that playstyle and I have no idea what the "best" gear even is now.

-I have one wizard in DM elite gear, and no real interest in farming, since I have no one to play with. The bosses still crit like crazy, same as they always did; the only difference between the new system and the old one is that I don't block them anymore.

I don't suspect I'm back for good, but I did want to add that I love the Wizard City revamp, and the Spiral Showcase was a lot of fun. So I might stick around for a while and see what happens.

-von

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Hi Von, welcome back!

I can understand your rant. The new Events can be kind of overwhelming.

The Beastmoon Hunt has been active once a month since August's Summer Update.
Usually the hunt is at the beginning of the month and runs about 6-7 days.
Beastmoon is not PVP, but the Event is staged in the PVP arena for now. You can buy beast upgrades, seed recipes and other items using the Lunari currency that you earn by playing.
If you want to read the Beginners Guide to the Beastmoon Hunt on the Final Bastion web site it will help you learn
the basics. Or you can just do what I did and jump in not knowing one bloody thing and learn as you go.

Don't sweat the Participation Trophies at all. If you have done daily assignments on your wizards in the past or starting now, you will accumulate all sorts of them. I felt the same way as you, I did not want to PVP to get this reagent for my crafting quest. I checked my reagents on all of my wizards and had plenty of them. If you find that you don't have any, just begin doing your daily assignments on all your wizards and you will have all you need in no time.

The team up countdown timer is an issue, I agree. It should only penalize the person who initiated team up and bails/leaves. Unfortunately it will penalize you, the helper at the kiosk as well. I don't know if this will get changed, but it is frustrating.

I have read enough of your posts to know that you have limited time to play. If you want to try and meet up so we can add each other, I am also beginning Empyrea part 2 and my balance is also 125. I would be happy to quest with you and I have a few friends left who have completed it that can assist us with the big end game bosses such as the Storm Triton, (which I am not looking forward to).

As far as gear, most of the wizards I see who are high level are wearing DM gear or Cabalist gear, some of the Time Warden gear. Then in Empyrea there is the Paradox gear. Final Bastion has good articles on best max level gear for each school that should help. For those of us who are still questing in Empyrea and haven't finished it, I think the DM gear and pierce jewels are the best bet. Read through the best balance gear article and tell me what you think, but this is what I have been told by my friends who finished the latest world.

Regarding DM gear, I had only done one run of DM on my balance wiz and of course I didn't get anything worthwhile. I had sub par gear and lived with it through Mirage. I was able to complete the world. Then a few months ago I went in to DM with a friend and 2 random wizards via team up. We only did the graveyard, it took about an hour and 15 minutes. I got a couple pieces of gear but was lucky to have crowns. When we beat Malistaire, I used the second chance chest and kept rolling the dice. I ended up with almost every single piece of gear. So now I have the full set, (minus the wand). I highly recommend this approach if you are looking to avoid grinding for hours in DM. I got the balance athame from Ygevny on a lucky chance, but the rest I got from the chest.

I am glad you like the Spiral Showcase. I also think it is a lot of fun. I hope you are able to try the Beastmoon Hunt as it is also fun - and something completely different that a lot of wizards really like. The other new Event is the Deckathalon which should begin sometime in mid-October. If you want to see what the Deckathalon is all about, there is a KI Dev Diary on it and also some You Tubers have videos on it, (such as Blaze Lifehammer), where you can get a good look at what it is like. As you earn points on each of these events, (Spiral Showcase, Beastmoon Hunt & Deckathalons), you are also earning points on your Fall Scroll of Fortune, so don't forget to redeem those prizes as you go!

I am glad to see you back on the message boards and what an awesome time for you to come back to the game - at Halloween! Hope I can meet you in the game some day.

Take care!
Autumn WH
Lvl 125
I am in EST time zone US, I usually play in the evenings which is 9PM-midnight. If you want to try and meet up this weekend, we can do that! Just tell me where, when, realm, etc.

Administrator
Nordic Champion on Oct 3, 2019 wrote:
Hi Von, welcome back!

I can understand your rant. The new Events can be kind of overwhelming.

The Beastmoon Hunt has been active once a month since August's Summer Update.
Usually the hunt is at the beginning of the month and runs about 6-7 days.
Beastmoon is not PVP, but the Event is staged in the PVP arena for now. You can buy beast upgrades, seed recipes and other items using the Lunari currency that you earn by playing.
If you want to read the Beginners Guide to the Beastmoon Hunt on the Final Bastion web site it will help you learn
the basics. Or you can just do what I did and jump in not knowing one bloody thing and learn as you go.

Don't sweat the Participation Trophies at all. If you have done daily assignments on your wizards in the past or starting now, you will accumulate all sorts of them. I felt the same way as you, I did not want to PVP to get this reagent for my crafting quest. I checked my reagents on all of my wizards and had plenty of them. If you find that you don't have any, just begin doing your daily assignments on all your wizards and you will have all you need in no time.

The team up countdown timer is an issue, I agree. It should only penalize the person who initiated team up and bails/leaves. Unfortunately it will penalize you, the helper at the kiosk as well. I don't know if this will get changed, but it is frustrating.

I have read enough of your posts to know that you have limited time to play. If you want to try and meet up so we can add each other, I am also beginning Empyrea part 2 and my balance is also 125. I would be happy to quest with you and I have a few friends left who have completed it that can assist us with the big end game bosses such as the Storm Triton, (which I am not looking forward to).

As far as gear, most of the wizards I see who are high level are wearing DM gear or Cabalist gear, some of the Time Warden gear. Then in Empyrea there is the Paradox gear. Final Bastion has good articles on best max level gear for each school that should help. For those of us who are still questing in Empyrea and haven't finished it, I think the DM gear and pierce jewels are the best bet. Read through the best balance gear article and tell me what you think, but this is what I have been told by my friends who finished the latest world.

Regarding DM gear, I had only done one run of DM on my balance wiz and of course I didn't get anything worthwhile. I had sub par gear and lived with it through Mirage. I was able to complete the world. Then a few months ago I went in to DM with a friend and 2 random wizards via team up. We only did the graveyard, it took about an hour and 15 minutes. I got a couple pieces of gear but was lucky to have crowns. When we beat Malistaire, I used the second chance chest and kept rolling the dice. I ended up with almost every single piece of gear. So now I have the full set, (minus the wand). I highly recommend this approach if you are looking to avoid grinding for hours in DM. I got the balance athame from Ygevny on a lucky chance, but the rest I got from the chest.

I am glad you like the Spiral Showcase. I also think it is a lot of fun. I hope you are able to try the Beastmoon Hunt as it is also fun - and something completely different that a lot of wizards really like. The other new Event is the Deckathalon which should begin sometime in mid-October. If you want to see what the Deckathalon is all about, there is a KI Dev Diary on it and also some You Tubers have videos on it, (such as Blaze Lifehammer), where you can get a good look at what it is like. As you earn points on each of these events, (Spiral Showcase, Beastmoon Hunt & Deckathalons), you are also earning points on your Fall Scroll of Fortune, so don't forget to redeem those prizes as you go!

I am glad to see you back on the message boards and what an awesome time for you to come back to the game - at Halloween! Hope I can meet you in the game some day.

Take care!
Autumn WH
Lvl 125
I am in EST time zone US, I usually play in the evenings which is 9PM-midnight. If you want to try and meet up this weekend, we can do that! Just tell me where, when, realm, etc.
Welcome back Von! Thanks Nordic for responding in detail to Von's Qs.

Let us know if you have any more thoughts! This is the place to post them :).

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
Hi Von, welcome back. Missed you. See you in the Spiral
Michael Nightgem.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Michael Nightgem on Oct 4, 2019 wrote:
Hi Von, welcome back. Missed you. See you in the Spiral
Michael Nightgem.
I take that back~ looks like not *all* my friends are gone. :)

Thanks for the warm reception, guys. And thank you Nordic, for taking the time to respond in so much detail~ I work weekends, but I'm usually on from about 9pm-midnight (Atlantic) in the middle of the week and would love to meet up with you in-game, if you're around.

I did the daily assignments when I was a member before, but I only ever got one participation trophy. Hopefully my luck will finally change.

-von

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Hiya Von,

You are welcome of course! I hope you have had a chance to get your feet wet in Beastmoon - the event is almost over. Today is Monday, 10/7 and there is only one day left to play the hunt.
Since you work on weekends, let me know if you are available to meet up this Wednesday 10/9 or Thursday 10/10 evening. I looked up the time zones, and Atlantic time in Canada is one hour ahead of me in EST. So 9:00PM my time is 10PM your time.

We can meet up at 10:00PM your time, realm Orthrus, in Nightside of Wizard City on the week night of your choosing. My wizard name is Autumn Wild Heart and it would be great to add you so we can quest together.
I will keep an eye on this thread to see if you respond with an evening you are free.

Hoping you get some trophies in your daily assignments. Now that the Spiral Showcase is back, you will get 20 points a day for doing the assignment anyway, so why not try it?

Take care!

Autumn WH

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Hiya Von,

I realize now that I was wrong and I think our time zones are the same right now due to it being EDT not EST.
We don't go back to EST until early November, so if you want to meet up, we are NOT an hour apart, but the same time. Today is Thursday, 10/10 and you may not get this message today, so let me know when you want to try to meet up. You name the night and I will be there. Again, we can meet in Nightside, WC - Orthrus realm. If I don't hear back from you have a nice weekend!

Autumn WH