Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Upcoming Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 11, 2013
No kidding, I've been playing the game for over 10 years....I've had a mac for the past 4 years, never had any issues with this game until I switched to mac either. Sad situation.

Administrator
Apologies about the continued wait. We are working with our partners to get this support implemented as soon as possible. We'll keep you updated!

https://kingsisleblog.com/2019/09/30/macos-update-warning-your-access-to-wizard101-and-pirate101/

Survivor
Jun 08, 2019
I was just looking on the website and under system requirements for mac users it still says "Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) or newer". As I understand, Wizard 101 will not run if it is newer than 10.14 (Mojave) because of the shift to 64 bit apps and away from 32 bit apps. I think it may be helpful to update this on the official website so others do not get confused.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
yooooo so its kinda almost 2020 and there's still no update, if you could get whoever's working on it to give you an estimated time and then update us with that that'd be great

also I recommend bootcamp for anyone who's already switched

Survivor
Feb 05, 2017
any update? I just bought a MacBook Pro. Im still gaming on my pc but it would be nice to have it on my laptop.

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
Okay, so it's been months with no update...mac users get more upset when KI gives answers that don't leave even a ballpark of when the update will be done. If it takes most of 2020 then just say it. If its going to be done within 6 months just say it. Saying "a few weeks" and then having the update take upwards of 4 months and growing with minimal news isn't a great way to show your mac users that you care about them :I it takes as long as it takes, just please stop leaving us in the dark.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2012
Sparck on Nov 13, 2019 wrote:
Unfortunately it's out of our hands, we need external software developers to complete their service updates before the game can support compatibility with the new macOS. As soon as we know when this will be completed, we'll be sure to let you know.
I work in the software industry, and to say "Unfortunately it's out of our hands" is simply not realistic. When you build and sell software, you establish contracts with all of your suppliers including clauses regarding keeping software up-to-date. Apple announced the 64 bit change well in advance, so all the software vendors would have no excuse for missing the deadline.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
Any updates on this and when the compatibility will be made on the software

Survivor
Dec 23, 2010
I always will love this game but this is so annoying, I personally didn't have any clue that when I updated my Mac, I wouldn't be able to play wiz. I might just be dumb but I'm tired of playing on my windows.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
Falconspirit,

Not in this case. W101 runs in a free, open-source emulator called WINE. The people who maintain it are doing so on their own time; KingsIsle has no claim on them. I know it's frustrating, but we have little choice but to wait.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2012
Brian Skulleyes on Jan 2, 2020 wrote:
Falconspirit,

Not in this case. W101 runs in a free, open-source emulator called WINE. The people who maintain it are doing so on their own time; KingsIsle has no claim on them. I know it's frustrating, but we have little choice but to wait.
Brian,
When a business uses FOSS rather than commercial software, the business, in this case King's, is responsible for determining the roadmap of the maintainers. It is not unusual in cases where the providers cannot provide a reasonable roadmap that the user of the FOSS will provide (a) additional funding to the FOSS developers or (b) develop the code in-house and deliver it back into the FOSS source to get the desired functionality at the desired time. This of course is not the only way to peel the onion (e.g replace the software with another package).

Cheers.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2015
Is there any update?
My membership will not expire until April, but I have not been able to play for months.
Please help, thank you.

Administrator
Our apologies that we do not yet have a resolution on this issue. We are working constantly with our partners to ensure this gets done asap. As soon as there's a solution, it'll be presented here right away.

In the meantime, there are ways to remove Catalina on most systems if you have it installed. You can reinstall it later after support for the game has been implemented. Please see your system specs and support contacts from the manufacturer and macOS for these details.

Thanks for your extended patience!

Survivor
May 30, 2016
Man, this is taking quite a while.

I have 2 people who want to make new wizards and play through the game but they have Mac. It's a bit complicated to revert back to Mojave and they don't want to go through the efforts. I just want this update.

I know KingsIsle is probably fed up with the amount of people asking for this update to happen but it is an important one, and it's taking a good while to get done.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2020
Hey everyone, I just wanna give my experience on this issue

I re-discovered Wiz101 in December after 10some-odd years thanks to YouTube. I was super excited to get back into it. Then I found out it wasn't available for Mac. Reasonably frustrated. But I remember loving the game back then...

So, I looked for workarounds! If you have 45-50ish GB available in storage on your Mac, you can use BootCamp (already on your Mac) and a free Windows 10 ISO download from Microsoft to partition a 32-bit capable OS onto your Mac that you can switch to and from at will! I did this, and now I'm working my way through the Spiral!

Almost no setbacks in terms of performance on either end, it just takes some time to set up! As soon as KI and their partners roll out the patch, you can remove the partition super easy and get your storage back.

Here's to hoping it comes quick! 45-50 gigs is a lot of storage just to run one game!

Hope this helps, even a bit.

Administrator
Reminitions on Jan 21, 2020 wrote:
Hey everyone, I just wanna give my experience on this issue

I re-discovered Wiz101 in December after 10some-odd years thanks to YouTube. I was super excited to get back into it. Then I found out it wasn't available for Mac. Reasonably frustrated. But I remember loving the game back then...

So, I looked for workarounds! If you have 45-50ish GB available in storage on your Mac, you can use BootCamp (already on your Mac) and a free Windows 10 ISO download from Microsoft to partition a 32-bit capable OS onto your Mac that you can switch to and from at will! I did this, and now I'm working my way through the Spiral!

Almost no setbacks in terms of performance on either end, it just takes some time to set up! As soon as KI and their partners roll out the patch, you can remove the partition super easy and get your storage back.

Here's to hoping it comes quick! 45-50 gigs is a lot of storage just to run one game!

Hope this helps, even a bit.
An excellent suggestion Reminitions! We're going to confirm the viability of this option and if it looks solid to our team, we'll propose it on the official blog post as another option until official support can be implemented.

A quick update on that front, we're looking good on progress. We hope to have an update of some kind for you over the next few weeks, perhaps sooner.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2019
Ive really gotten into the wizard 101 game and I'm already to the world dragon spire. I went on a week ago and my Mac updated it self to the new version. This was depressing news due to the fact that I don't have long for my member ship, If you have a exact date on when the wizard 101 update please let us know.

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
Well, my MacBook Pro is being held hostage by this situation. I have not made the update, but wow. The game play over the last several months has been challenging at best, atrocious at worst. I liken it to playing in an underwater haunted house with a strobe light on. Slow, laggy, and sad. No other apps open, lowest res settings, no blooms or detail, always playing in uncrowded realms—doesn't matter. Here are some of the lovely benefits of playing on a Mac:
  • If someone flees during battle, I will not be able to play any card that round. I am frozen—guaranteed.
  • If I flee, it will likely be 2-4 minutes before I am able to return—and that's if I can quickly potion and hit dungeon recall. All I can do is just stare at the illustration transition screens. Try doing that in Darkmoor when your team needs you.
  • Running in the more annoying areas like Tartarus, with mobs that run very close to the edges, I will almost certainly get pulled in. Because of the massive delay, it is almost impossible to move with any kind of precision.
  • When I sign up for a kiosk battle, I will always miss the first round when everyone rushes in. This is true for most of the subsequent fights as well. As a result, I often miss drops when teams kill on the first round.

I have played Wiz101 on both PC and Mac over the last 10 years. Mac has always been a bit slower, but the last few months have been tragic. I find myself constantly making excuses for my slowness. Often I have no choice but to walk away and shut the laptop off. I have to say, if you're new or coming back, don't bother if you don't have access to a PC. I am trolling for a passable used PC laptop just to play this game. Hard to justify. Sorta like being forced to buy an Xbox One just to play pong.

With what I am putting up with in terms of game play, no one can doubt my dedication.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2019
ok guys, i am also a mac user and unfortuantly upgraded to catalina like the rest of you. i did find other solutions to get on wizard like parrellel desktop to use windows and download wizard from there but as you know those are only trials. Today i was able to get my mac to work again after 2 weeks, what i did was i fully reset my mac and deleted every disk space and utility i had. it fully reset my mac with the first update it came with, which was yosemite. from there you can upgrade to mojave or anything else (not catalina ofcourse).

Survivor
Apr 30, 2010
another solution is using a software called VirtualBox. You can then create a VirtualMachine commonly known as a vm in the computer science field and run wizard101 from their on your Mac feel free to reply to this if you have questions setting it up

Survivor
Mar 28, 2011
Survivor
Aug 11, 2013
I've since switched to Bootcamp within Mac, and it works better than it has ever worked on my Mac...... Everyone out there, please do Bootcamp if you can! <I know it sucks and we shouldnt have to..... but, its better!>

Survivor
Jan 14, 2020
nate14141 on Feb 3, 2020 wrote:
another solution is using a software called VirtualBox. You can then create a VirtualMachine commonly known as a vm in the computer science field and run wizard101 from their on your Mac feel free to reply to this if you have questions setting it up
Could you run me through how to set it up?

Survivor
Feb 06, 2020
I used to play wizard101 religiously a couple years back and I want to get back into it, unfortunately my macOS doesn't run 32bit applications and this is one of the only ones left that require updating... is there any update on a wizard101 64bit in the near future?

Survivor
Apr 05, 2014
Currently February 8th, 2020. Still no update from September's or even December's post from KingsIsle.