Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Upcoming Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2013
I've been getting notifications for several months now on my Mac that W101 must be updated to 64 bit in order to run after the Catalina update.

When will W101 be compatible with Catalina

Administrator
2Chihuahuas on Sep 8, 2019 wrote:
I've been getting notifications for several months now on my Mac that W101 must be updated to 64 bit in order to run after the Catalina update.

When will W101 be compatible with Catalina
We are preparing an announcement to all macOS users that will detail what to do when Catalina becomes available. This will be sent directly to your e-mail, as well as on social media and here in the forums.

Survivor
Dec 07, 2018
Any updates yet? I'm holding on this OS update to see if KI's rolled out an update yet, or if they plan on doing so in the near future.

Administrator
WashboardAbner on Oct 7, 2019 wrote:
Any updates yet? I'm holding on this OS update to see if KI's rolled out an update yet, or if they plan on doing so in the near future.
It may be several weeks before we're able to announce compatibility. We'll let you know as soon as it's enabled!

Survivor
Oct 30, 2009
I raised this issue way back in May. Why wasn't a plan around this started a long time ago, you knew this was coming.

Administrator
cabiz650 on Oct 9, 2019 wrote:
I raised this issue way back in May. Why wasn't a plan around this started a long time ago, you knew this was coming.
The ability to update in time was unfortunately not under our control. Games have multiple pieces of software and they all must come together to successfully function. We're still waiting on one of those pieces.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2018
Hi so I invested in my membership without realizing and bought crowns etc then my Mac auto updated, so essentially I’m losing money. Any news on the current update for Mac? I know you can’t control that but some have waited several months for it. Could you possibly give a time frame on the issue?

Survivor
Aug 19, 2017
I was wondering if anyone knew when around they would have Wizard101 & Pirate101 for macOS 64 bit version? I recently updated my mac w/o reading the forms first & now i had to cancel my subscription on both.

Administrator
charlesst on Oct 15, 2019 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew when around they would have Wizard101 & Pirate101 for macOS 64 bit version? I recently updated my mac w/o reading the forms first & now i had to cancel my subscription on both.
This depends on our software partner that needs to update to 64-bit. It could be several weeks yet before full 64-bit support is implemented. We'll let you know here and on social media as soon as it is implemented!

Survivor
Sep 28, 2019
Sparck on Sep 9, 2019 wrote:
We are preparing an announcement to all macOS users that will detail what to do when Catalina becomes available. This will be sent directly to your e-mail, as well as on social media and here in the forums.
i hate to be one of those people that seems so impatient, especially since stuff like this takes time obviously and not just a few days or a week, but could you give us maybe an estimated date of when you guys could possibly be done with the update and have it released so we know what day or time around that day to look for?

Survivor
Sep 28, 2019
charlesst on Oct 15, 2019 wrote:
they said above, possibly several weeks :/ and that they have to wait for multiple platforms to make a 64 bit update before they can make it for just apple and whoever else. like the people that play on 32 bit and dont have any 64 bit updates. they will be affected by this update to 64 bit. so it could take a while sadly

Survivor
Oct 30, 2009
kaylaXjean on Oct 17, 2019 wrote:
they said above, possibly several weeks :/ and that they have to wait for multiple platforms to make a 64 bit update before they can make it for just apple and whoever else. like the people that play on 32 bit and dont have any 64 bit updates. they will be affected by this update to 64 bit. so it could take a while sadly
Apple announced the change in 2017, and confirmed in June 2018 that 64-but would be required in Fall 2019. It's been two years to fix the problem.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2011
Sparck on Oct 15, 2019 wrote:
This depends on our software partner that needs to update to 64-bit. It could be several weeks yet before full 64-bit support is implemented. We'll let you know here and on social media as soon as it is implemented!
May I update my computer now? The update warning message has gone away on the launcher, so I am assuming that means something? Please confirm if I should or should not update my computer!

Administrator
garrett9939 on Oct 25, 2019 wrote:
May I update my computer now? The update warning message has gone away on the launcher, so I am assuming that means something? Please confirm if I should or should not update my computer!
Hi garrett,

Unfortunately the game still does not have the necessary compatibility to the macOS. Please do not update to Catalina until we announce that it's compatible with the game. Apologies about the time it's taking for our partners to complete this process.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2011
Hi Talon SilverStaff here.

If I may chime in, I posted an article out the official Kingsisle® Fan-site "Legends of the Spiral" . I also added an example how to get going if you have already installed Catalina macOS. Its a 30 Day Trail and hopefully the key piece is completed by then :)

Check it out here.

Everyone sit back and relax . All macOS users will be able to play again soon, Kingsisle® is working hard on that. until then this is a temp work around.

See ya around the Spiral :)

Survivor
Oct 30, 2009
Talon SilverStaff on Nov 2, 2019 wrote:
Hi Talon SilverStaff here.

If I may chime in, I posted an article out the official Kingsisle® Fan-site "Legends of the Spiral" . I also added an example how to get going if you have already installed Catalina macOS. Its a 30 Day Trail and hopefully the key piece is completed by then :)

Check it out here.

Everyone sit back and relax . All macOS users will be able to play again soon, Kingsisle® is working hard on that. until then this is a temp work around.

See ya around the Spiral :)
Realistically, they've had 2 years to work on this problem. We shouldn't have to pay to use additional software. Literally everything else on my computer got updated.

I appreciate the optimism, but we aren't hearing any updates and it's making it hard to keep faith that KI cares about Mac Users :(

Administrator
cabiz650 on Nov 13, 2019 wrote:
Realistically, they've had 2 years to work on this problem. We shouldn't have to pay to use additional software. Literally everything else on my computer got updated.

I appreciate the optimism, but we aren't hearing any updates and it's making it hard to keep faith that KI cares about Mac Users :(
Unfortunately it's out of our hands, we need external software developers to complete their service updates before the game can support compatibility with the new macOS. As soon as we know when this will be completed, we'll be sure to let you know.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
Today, its 11/14, as I am typing this, and I have been delaying myself to update to Catalina Do you guys have an update as to when this problem will be resolved?

Survivor
Jun 02, 2018
My mac decided to auto update, so when will this be happening? I know you're waiting on a piece, but do you have any idea when you will be getting it? I feel like this particular membership was a waste of money cause I can't even play.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2010
Will be excited when I can play again. Took a break and didn't know that this problem happened until I already had updated my mac. I'm sure that they are working on it as much as they can, making things compatible with Mac software can be difficult. Especially because it is always interchanging.

Defender
Aug 06, 2011
Okay guys, it's December. When is this problem going to be fixed? I understand that KingsIsle isn't fully responsible, but surely you have some method of communicating with your partner to at least give us an estimate. It's getting to the point where refunds wouldn't be totally out of the question for Mac users.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
I realize there's nothing KingsIsle can do to speed this up, but it would mean a lot to us if we could have an occasional update on the current status and estimated completion time. Perhaps once a week?

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
Agreed. I use my laptop for work, and KI is holding it hostage by making me comeop forAt this rate, the next OS will be out by the time this update is ready. The KI commitment to Mac is atrocious. Game play on a Mac is as frustrating an experience as you can imagine. No other apps open, lowest resolution setting, no bloom, no shadow, no jewel effects, uncrowded realm—basically like an old Atari game—yet still there is profound lag and crashes.

Switching from one realm to another takes between 10-30 seconds. Moving from one map area to another takes a similar amount of time. I am almost always the last on a sigil when I use Team Up, and I very often miss the first round entirely. I often hit periods where I cannot even play a card in battle because the lag just won't register my card in time. Running around a crowded commons, I look like I am on controlled substances with a blindfold. Walking into trees, going into shops I don't want to go into, smashing into walls... it is like playing in a haunted house with a strobe light on. And if I am on your team and I die, good luck. The odds of me getting back to you in a timely fashion are slim to none. I will miss several rounds of play and if I am your healer, you will likely die. I crash once every 90 minutes on average.

When I watch streamers, I see what I am missing. The play is lightning fast, you can actually make more than one or two moves before playing a card, the game is big and colorful and fun. The Mac experience is dismal. It is clear KI does not care about supporting Mac. Sorry, but facts.

Survivor
Dec 07, 2018
“A few weeks, sit tight guys.” = “We have no clue. Could be tomorrow, could be 2024. Whatever. Just be like, patient and stuff. In the meantime, you can still buy crowns through the website!”

I’ve just about had it with Wizards.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2013
Yeah I'd love to at least have an update besides "it's out of our hands". It's nearing the new year and it's been well over a few weeks. I'd like to be able to relax and play Wiz but I can't. KI really needs to step it up with support for Mac users.