Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Double Gardening returning soon with changes

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello Wizards,

I wanted to stop by and chat about Double Gardening. We know that you have been eager for the next event, and the good news is that it will be returning very soon - within the next month, in fact! I know it’s been on a long hiatus, so we appreciate your patience as changes have been made.

Starting with the 10th anniversary and beyond, we’ve been taking a look at old content and systems as they interact with our plans for the future. Our newest event, the Beastmoon Hunt, has a gardening tie-in, which gave us an opportunity to review that whole system. The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time. We were faced with two difficult options: discontinue the double gardening benefit entirely or remove the seed duplication. We know that Double Gardening is incredibly beloved, and we have fun with it too, so we went with the second option. Plants that reseed themselves will continue to do so, dropping a single seed even during Double Gardening events.

With this concern resolved, we will be able to offer you Double Gardening more often, and occasionally for longer stretches of time than we could before. You will also of course continue to receive double experience and double rewards as expected!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Defender
Jun 08, 2011
Thank you for the update, Professor Falmea.

A question: Would this also mean that plants whose primary purpose is seed production (Angora Bunny Ears, all of the huckleberries) will not be duplicating those mature drops?

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
thank you professor Falmea for the update on double gardening. i like the fact that you guys are listening to the community, i think with double of the seeds is a big problem as it loses you guys a lot of revenue. however with double the seeds it allows us the players to create more gardens. i think that when you harvest at elder i think it should be a low chance at getting the double seed say like 5%

Survivor
Jan 27, 2012
See, here's the thing; instead of making seeds never duplicate, make it duplicate 10% of the time or make an easier way to get these crowns seeds. Make them craft-able? Make the recipe tedious? Make the drop rate a bit more lenient when farming? Making pets is already extremely hard as the game sits now for a casual player such as myself and I find my plants failing a lot. All the wizards who took advantage of double gardening in it's "broken" state are set for life. We need a better alternative to gain seeds. Maybe even lowering the amount of crowns that EMPs or Couch Potatoes cost in the crown shop? Just something to change it to make seeds a little easier to get.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2018
thank you for the information! i cannot wait for the wizard101 birthday so i can have double gardening out side of the account i already have an elixir going!

Survivor
Jul 19, 2018
will it be like that for the elixirs as well? or will we still get double seeds when using elixirs?

Survivor
Nov 20, 2015
So....how long before it's decided that double snacks is no longer advantageous? Why don't you just leave the system as it was and just continue the elixir you made but make it available in singular form in the crown shop?

Defender
May 22, 2012
So Double gardening is over. Please change the name. After 4-5 years of Double Gardening this is not the same event.

Defender
Oct 12, 2017
Wait so when was this a big issue? So does that means that plants that “Doesnt” reseed themselves like couch potatoes will no longer give 2 sees at elder?

Survivor
Jun 01, 2019
Professor Falmea on Aug 13, 2019 wrote:
Hello Wizards,

I wanted to stop by and chat about Double Gardening. We know that you have been eager for the next event, and the good news is that it will be returning very soon - within the next month, in fact! I know it’s been on a long hiatus, so we appreciate your patience as changes have been made.

Starting with the 10th anniversary and beyond, we’ve been taking a look at old content and systems as they interact with our plans for the future. Our newest event, the Beastmoon Hunt, has a gardening tie-in, which gave us an opportunity to review that whole system. The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time. We were faced with two difficult options: discontinue the double gardening benefit entirely or remove the seed duplication. We know that Double Gardening is incredibly beloved, and we have fun with it too, so we went with the second option. Plants that reseed themselves will continue to do so, dropping a single seed even during Double Gardening events.

With this concern resolved, we will be able to offer you Double Gardening more often, and occasionally for longer stretches of time than we could before. You will also of course continue to receive double experience and double rewards as expected!
Will the gardening elixirs still give the double seed drops?

Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
I'm a big fan of Gardening, but really? Stopping us from getting double seeds during the event is not only taking the fun out of it, but also making it more difficult to increase our gardens. Just like the Jewel plants, i have four seeds and it drops a seed after it matures, and you still have the four seeds instead of eight now. Couch Potatoes, drop a seed, and you still have the same amount of seeds unless you save them all up for a bumper crop. Why is it that KI has become less and less more fun, and something to look forward to, and now just another day if you know what I mean. The deckathalon is no fun, Beastmoon should stay around at all times, as well as the box events. You should have double gardening as is every month. Give dates when that will happen so that our garden are ready to harvest. I agree with Ian Firetheif on all of this. Also, do something about gardening and seperating it from housing space, you did it for Castle magic you all can do this for gardening as it is seperate from housing items.

Survivor
Jan 25, 2015
Thank you so much for the update! Honestly, I don't think anyone will mind the seed update. Lots of us in private channels and servers in various places have stated that we wouldn't mind not getting the seed -- we just want the goodies, haha. Definitely happy to have it back!

Administrator
medjuda on Aug 13, 2019 wrote:
will it be like that for the elixirs as well? or will we still get double seeds when using elixirs?
Yes, for the elixirs as well.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2011
I know this was already mentioned before, but maybe if there was a percent that the seeds would double instead of completely removing it? I know gardens can get really massive so maybe make the percent very small? Like a percent or two. Please at least consider it, I understand why this decision is happening in the first place but maybe these suggestions might help spark new ideas for the future. Thanks!

Survivor
Jan 12, 2015
I'm happy to hear the Member's Benefit, "Double Gardening Rewards" will return. However, I've been slowly nurturing my few Jewel Plants in the hopes of another event so as to double my plants, because I always seemed to miss harvesting during them, so I'm really disappointed with the news that that won't be a part of it any longer.

Mariah StormWeaver

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
wait what about elixers already earned?? they were earned before you took double seeds away and one of the reasons why i for one spent crowns to get just saying not fair?

Survivor
Jun 30, 2012
All I would like to say is “Don’t mess with something that isn’t broken”

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
This benefit is at the top of the list for many wizards.

It pleases me to finally see an update on the abrupt cease to the event.

Now, while I understand the concern that may arise with plants that re-seed, I believe the idea mentioned above should be considered when implementing this new change.

Have a low percentage chance of plants that re-seed themselves doing it twice during the Double Gardening Event Only, especially crowns only or rarer plants.

I'm sure this solution would be more accepted by players than to just remove that particular benefit entirely.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2010
I rely upon getting the seed to increase my jewel plants (I spent many crowns on Farley's Gardening packs, with few seeds). Perhaps this could be a percentage for crown plants?

Survivor
May 13, 2012
Professor Falmea on Aug 13, 2019 wrote:
Hello Wizards,

How about instead of making yet another huge paywall for people who don't have a lot of money and want to make better pets, Make it so that there is a small CHANCE from double garden that youll get seeds/ For example 10%, so that it doesnt happen often but it CAN, and it makes it still worth buying from your crowns shop. I feel like the paywall you guys are creating with this is just going to harm the game further, the game is far from dead and you all need money to keep it open, but there is better ways to do this.

Survivor
Dec 23, 2014
Archangel1688 on Aug 14, 2019 wrote:
I rely upon getting the seed to increase my jewel plants (I spent many crowns on Farley's Gardening packs, with few seeds). Perhaps this could be a percentage for crown plants?
I was planning to take on the jewel plant challenge. It takes a lot of money, time, and execution to pull this off. Double gardening for certain plants was so enjoyable and worth the time and money invested. This was always a Top 2 Most Enjoyable part of Wizard 101. Now we are unable to have fun and spend money on one of our favorite things to do. Yikes! I'm a sad panda. Please re-think meeting in the middle on this. Maybe low-50 percentage double drop, as some are suggesting. This news took the wind out of my sails and I will not be taking on the jewel plant challenge I had envisioned. Ugh.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
Can we please get an in-depth explanation as to WHY EXACTLY the double seeding during this special, members-only event happens was/is considered "harmful?"

I really am curious and would like to know.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
made an account just for this...

I understand the decision of removing the duplication of the seeds, but this will harm SOO many new players. And with your recent moves with FTUE or free wizard city (btw should be permanently free *ahem*), you want new players.

New players will have so much trouble trying to make a good pet because they don't have the snacks to do so. I remember I had 3 couch potatoes in 2015 from GR. Now I have 100+ all because of the double gardening benefit. I have been able to make so many pets that I am happy with.

I think what you should do is have a percentage of a seed dropping depending on how many seeds you have. Eg: if i have 1 couch potato, the percentage should be 100%. But if I have 100, the percentage should be 5% etc. That would help new players actually get into the game without exploiting the duplication of the seeds.

Please take this into consideration. Thanks

Survivor
Nov 23, 2014
Well I have earned... I guess and paid for by spending "My" Crowns...a few Gardening Benefit Elixirs. Upon using one of them last night, after waiting to cultivate all the seeds I had and made them to elder ......I did not receive "double the seeds" even though I purchased the event things just to receive double gardening elixirs.... in order to replicate my seeds....in order to give my other characters a chance to start up a garden with seeds that drop coveted "Mega Snacks!"

Besides getting double pet snacks, TCs, reagents..etc..I really only wanted the benefit so as to receive double seeds. I have many wizards that want and need gardens. Now you are saying we have to either farm for seeds or purchase them directly from the crown shop.

The explanation you wrote in regards to this was convoluted to me and I do not understand How This is Better for anyone.

So just to recap.......You are keeping double garden benefit, Without getting double the seeds...Which I expect is the main reason people looked forward to this event. Many talked about wanting to replicate their the jewel plants because they are very rare, and cannot be farmed, and you have to spend a lot of crowns to even hopefully get one of them.

So to conclude....Keep it at 2 or 3 times per year and......let us collect our double seeds. The main people who say they don't want the seeds anyway are probably ones who have too many seeds from past gardening benefits. One of my accounts is like this. But I have 3 accounts which hardly have any seeds. I was saving my benefit in one of my accounts, so I could get seeds to my other wizards. RIP True Gardening Benefit. Scarlet ShadowStone

Survivor
Jul 18, 2012
Hey Kingsisle,

I understand that it's a bit overpowered to double the seeds, but I think it actually helps the couch potatoes sales, not hurts them. Hear me out: most people are not going to spend crowns to buy one couch potato for one mega snack a week. However, if that couch potato were to grow over time into more couch potatoes, a lot more people would be willing to invest in it. I would much rather less frequent double garden days that double the seeds than more frequent without seed doubling. I just think as members of the game paying 10 dollars a month, there should be a substantial member benefit or two, which were always double pet day and double gardening day for me. I feel like taking double gardening day away, or at least the main point of it, disappoints a lot of members that want nothing more than to keep playing the game they've played happily for years. All I'm asking is for you to take this into consideration.