Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Standardize Spell Card Formatting

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 19, 2015
This is kind of a small thing, but I think it would be really nice if the text/symbol formatting on all spell cards were standardized. I think this would make some spell cards more concise, easier to understand, and more aesthetically pleasing. For example, many damage over time spells have different formatting (Fire Elf, Link, and Scald) and Melt has a different wording than the other dispels. Also, Sirens is somewhat difficult to understand looking at just the spell text.

So, to solve this, I think there will need to be a standardized "language" for spell cards. First, I think we need recognizable and specific icons (and/or keywords) for different effects. Here's a list of all I think will be needed, but there may be more (note that most of these already have in-game icons).
  • A symbol for each school
  • Damage, drain, damage-or-drain, heal, (power/non-power) pips
    (note: I think "damage-or-drain" (on Tower shield) modifiers should be condensed into the "damage" symbol, as all other shields/blades/traps that affect damage also affect drains (Balanceblade, etc.). Then, drains bypassing absorbs would have to be labeled as a "special rule" or something like that)
  • Pierce, critical, accuracy, power pip chance
  • Positive and Negative charms/wards
  • Incoming and Outgoing
  • Minion
  • Rounds
  • Absorb
  • Dispel
  • Remove (removing charms/wards, like with Leviathan and Earthquake)
  • Threat
  • Self, single ally/enemy (I'm not sure if these are needed)
  • All allies/enemies
  • Double (for the Scion spells)

Right now, I think all of these exist except for "remove." Currently, "remove" occasionally uses the "dispel" symbol (on Sirens), which can be confusing. Therefore, I think it should have its own symbol.

Next, I think secondary effects should be re-formatted to make them more clear. Currently, Brimstone Revenant and Savage Paw have the same text, but one gives a trap and the other a blade. I think having a symbol for positive/negative wards/charms after the effect could make this clearer. Examples:
  • Brimstone Revenant would read "470[damage] & +25% [damage][negative ward]"
  • Savage Paw would read "500[damage] & +25%[damage][positive charm]").

These would have similar formatting to the secondary effect on Gaze of Fate.
Also, I think there should be a consistent way of writing out additional effects (either "and", "&", or commas).

If KingsIsle decides to use "self", "single ally", and "single enemy" symbols, then they could add a symbol for who an effect affects after the effect. Sorry for the confusing wording--here are examples:
  • Brimstone Revenant would read "470[damage][single enemy] & +25% [damage][negative ward][single enemy]"
  • Savage Paw would read "500[damage][single enemy] & +25%[damage][positive charm][self]"
  • Dark Pact would read "300[damage][self] & +25%[damage][positive charm][self]"
  • Glacial Shield could read "-70%[damage][positive ward][1 ally] & -70%[damage][positive ward][1 ally]" or "-70%[damage][positive ward] & -70%[damage][positive ward] for [1 ally]"

However, this would cause some spells to have 3 or more symbols in a row, which could become confusing. Additionally, most spells already use the spell type indicator (damage, manipulation, charm) to convey who the spell affects.

Personally, I most want all spell cards to have a uniform and concise way to explain their effects without having a crowded text box or random abbreviations.

That's my opinion on the matter, but I don't know much about graphic design and typography, so I could be wrong about what's easiest to read and understand. Please leave comments with any ideas you have on symbols, formatting, readability, and/or whether you think spell cards (and treasure cards?) should have their text revamped. Thanks for reading!