Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question regarding size of the Friends List.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 13, 2011
Why was the size of the Friends List changed from being unlimited to a limited amount?

I was reading older update notes and found out the size of the Friends List used to be unlimited long ago. But this changed to a maximum of 100 friends in 2009. I just wanted to know what was the reason for this change? Not that I dislike the change (who even has such a large amount of friends), I was just curious why they did this.

Thanks for answering in advance!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Ivandis Seergaze on Jun 24, 2019 wrote:
Why was the size of the Friends List changed from being unlimited to a limited amount?

I was reading older update notes and found out the size of the Friends List used to be unlimited long ago. But this changed to a maximum of 100 friends in 2009. I just wanted to know what was the reason for this change? Not that I dislike the change (who even has such a large amount of friends), I was just curious why they did this.

I think my max friends is 150 and I have to regularly delete people because I don't have enough space. I'd have this issue even buying the extension so haven't paid for that. I wish the friends lists were unlimited, it can upset people to be removed and I always feel bad for it.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2010
The way the game is set up, certain things "refresh" (Think of it as syncing with the server) every time you change areas, among these include your friends list, bank items, backpack items, etc etc. Having an unlimited amount of friends was allowed back then would cause for some rather insane loading times. For example if you have 900+ items in your bank due to double harvests or something like that, the load times can get 30 seconds to a minute PER area change. Combo that with a potential friends list that has say 500+ friends and it would be insane.

TL,DR is this; Load times would be insane with unlimited friends list.

Defender
May 22, 2012
Ivandis Seergaze on Jun 24, 2019 wrote:

Friends lists were always limited, I always have to delete someone for a new friend.

By the i agree I have very few people I genuinely call in game friends, with many of their wizards filling my lists. Still I have plenty of other "friends" I never really talk to or play with.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
Victoria FireHeart on Jun 27, 2019 wrote:
I think my max friends is 150 and I have to regularly delete people because I don't have enough space. I'd have this issue even buying the extension so haven't paid for that. I wish the friends lists were unlimited, it can upset people to be removed and I always feel bad for it.
I'm doubling this sentiment.

1 friend/family on 1 account can now take up 7 spots. That's not right.
1 friend/family with 2 accounts can equal 14

Anyone who dual-boxes is their own best friend = 7 spots of no friend/family.
And how many wizards play 4 accounts or more? I know a few.

Friends list NEEDS to be unlimited friends at no extra cost

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
TheWizOwl on Jun 27, 2019 wrote:
The way the game is set up, certain things "refresh" (Think of it as syncing with the server) every time you change areas, among these include your friends list, bank items, backpack items, etc etc. Having an unlimited amount of friends was allowed back then would cause for some rather insane loading times. For example if you have 900+ items in your bank due to double harvests or something like that, the load times can get 30 seconds to a minute PER area change. Combo that with a potential friends list that has say 500+ friends and it would be insane.

TL,DR is this; Load times would be insane with unlimited friends list.
Really? That's weird because I get no lag on my wizard with an empty bank or my wizard with 4k stuff in her bank. The friend list only needs to refresh when someone logs on or off and if you click on someone specific for stats etc. I don't think it would need to cause lag by having more friends.

If it is lag-related then at least stack wizards on the same account since it is only possible to have 1 online at any given time. TBH I don't see any difference with lag due to the number of friends active online or any of the other things you've said. Empty backpack/full - same time changing areas; empty bank/over-full - same time changing areas; no friends online/the most I've ever had at once - same time changing areas.

In an MMO, especially without guilds or ways to connect without being friends, it would make sense to have an unlimited or so substantial friend list that we can basically add every nice person we meet on our wizarding adventures