Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gold Skeleton Key Drops

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 30, 2012
Over the last few weeks, I have fought many of the Skeleton Bosses using Gold Keys. I have used 8 gold keys since others did not have any and fought a total of 14 when others had them. Unfortunately, in some of these instances, I wasted 4 when players fled.

Bottom line is that in all of these 14 instances, I never got a Gold Key to drop, not one. So, is there a problem with key drops now as in the past, we got them on a regular basis.

If drops are not forthcoming, I suggest that they should be available in the Crown Shop as follows:

Wooden Key: 100 Crowns
Silver Key: 250 Crowns
Gold Key: 500 Crowns.

This will allow players to get those and not join Skeleton Bosses begging for others to have keys and allow players to have a supply.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Dannyboy735 on Jun 10, 2019 wrote:
Over the last few weeks, I have fought many of the Skeleton Bosses using Gold Keys. I have used 8 gold keys since others did not have any and fought a total of 14 when others had them. Unfortunately, in some of these instances, I wasted 4 when players fled.

Bottom line is that in all of these 14 instances, I never got a Gold Key to drop, not one. So, is there a problem with key drops now as in the past, we got them on a regular basis.

If drops are not forthcoming, I suggest that they should be available in the Crown Shop as follows:

Wooden Key: 100 Crowns
Silver Key: 250 Crowns
Gold Key: 500 Crowns.

This will allow players to get those and not join Skeleton Bosses begging for others to have keys and allow players to have a supply.
I'm afraid that's too cheap a price. If it were to happen, it would have to be ramped up just a little bit.

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
I kinda already suggested this, but that's supposed to be a Test Realm exclusive to those wanting to try out the new Skeleton Key bosses.

Through my perspective, having the Skeleton Keys on the Crowns Shop in Live will surely break the game's balance and the overall purpose of earning them through duels.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2012
Thanks,

I did not want to start prices too high to begin with and it is only an option to counter the lack of key drops. It is frustrating to team up to help and farm at same time only to find out that everyone else in the room is looking for someone with a key.

I wish Spark or member of KI team would give us some input on this matter. I would not mind using keys if I knew that I will get some back.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2012
Trimond 297

I don't have a problem with what you are saying, The problem as I explained in my original post is that they are not dropping anymore. It seems that Spark and anyone else at KI is ignoring this and not giving us some answers and facts.

I love to help and farm those bosses but as it stands, keys are not dropping anymore and it sucks.
If they changed the drop rate or it is out of wack, let us know but they should investigate either way. Many of us keep farming and helping out others but if I am not getting anything in return, there is no point.

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Dannyboy735 on Jun 18, 2019 wrote:
Trimond 297

I don't have a problem with what you are saying, The problem as I explained in my original post is that they are not dropping anymore. It seems that Spark and anyone else at KI is ignoring this and not giving us some answers and facts.

I love to help and farm those bosses but as it stands, keys are not dropping anymore and it sucks.
If they changed the drop rate or it is out of wack, let us know but they should investigate either way. Many of us keep farming and helping out others but if I am not getting anything in return, there is no point.
They do, but the chances of obtaining them from bosses vary to people, because it's a chance factor. Some people may be lucky in getting them, others, probably less, but that doesn't mean they won't get them nor bosses don't drop them anymore. If you're going solo in trying to get them, you may have slim chances. If you're going with teams, that chance factor, give or take, increases.

Sure, there are loads of bosses in the many worlds out there that may need their loot tables' adjusted to include the Skeleton Keys, but do remember that the chances of obtaining Skeleton Keys really differ. It's a factor. No need to worry about that. You just got to keep trying and keep hoping. It always works.

Good luck. I know you'll get them.

Survivor
Nov 03, 2015
There are several bosses that drop Golden Skeleton Keys! Even doing runs of Darkmoor (as I've done plenty) can help to ensure that one drops. While golden skeleton key bosses do drop keys, this does not mean that a golden skeleton key is always ensured from the boss that you are farming per run. It's a matter of chance.

If keys were added as something to the crowns shop, then it defeats the purpose of people farming for keys, nonetheless the rewards felt when you've farmed something completely yourself. The best way to ensure having full runs without people being quitters is to run with a team of your own friends. I'm sure this suggestion has been made before; but as it stands I actually find stone keys often more rare than golden keys. As stone keys are used to get such spells as burning rampage, dinosaur mounts & etc while golden keys can be used to farm for energy gear from Aphrodite, sacred charge, mimic's ring, tenni'syn's robe, and many other essential gear to most wizard-classes.

Community Leader
I agree with some of you that skeleton keys should NOT make their way into the Crown Shop because it eliminates their purpose entirely. It is not a matter of price at all. How I see it is that you need to farm keys from select bosses / battles to obtain them even though that might be a bit tough.

If you have difficulty finding creatures that drop keys you can check out my guide on Final Bastion here https://finalbastion.com/wizard101-guides/w101-dungeons-boss-guides/wizard101-skeleton-keys-updated-guide/

It might need an update to include the latest skeleton key bosses, but you can always use item identifier on a skeleton key hanging on a wall at your friend's house to see the updated drop list.

Happy farming! :D

Writer and Admin at Final Bastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Survivor
Nov 30, 2012
Cory,

I have a lot of respect for you as a player and I consult your Final Bastion quite often which has a wealth of information for anyone that consults it. Great work there.

My point is that Gold Keys are not dropping anymore. Further to my original post, I have done at least 20 extra runs joining teams at the Kiosk. I was lucky that in most of them, one player did have a Gold Key. So, after in excess of 40 runs, not one time did a Gold Key drop for me or anyone else. I am tired of getting Lydia's frozen bed and other ridiculous drops, seeds or other similar useless items. I would like not to be standing there with my thumb up you know what, hoping that a player has a key. I want to contribute when I can and that is why I suggested being able to buy Keys. It is not going to hurt anyone and perhaps increase the number of players who will step up to the bat after using a Key and not just trolling. In my opinion, the first player who enters a sigil for one of these dungeons should have a key and there should be a way for the game to let that player know, yes you have the requirement ie. a key or no you don't before the team up happens.

I appreciate your input but it appears that the powers to be, ie Spark or KI ignore this and will not give us any input as to whether there is a problem with the Keys dropping. Perhaps, they are trying to lure people out of doing these dungeons. Farming those to get rewards and keys should not be that tough.

As you most likely know, when Krampus comes along at Christmas, you can almost be assured that you will get a key to drop in whichever gold, silver or wood one you select.

I have done Darkmoor too many times and will not go there if it is the only place to get Gold Key.

Always happy to help but I want to carry my own weight.

Regards